SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#387546 - 04/04/14 10:47 PM Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. [Re: brickboo]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: brickboo
REALLY, 4 PIECES THE GREATEST BAND EVER? Come on. Better than the Everly Bros? What about the Beatles and Elvis? Ha ha?

Must be personal taste I guess but I don't think those acts are even close to the same level of jazz musicianship. Are you telling me you think those acts could play the same piece of music? REALLY?

Don't get me wrong I do respect and really enjoy the acts you mention but the musical style is so completely different it is really so very silly to compare them on a thread that is about jazz musicians. You are trying to compare Elvis with Chick Corea ... what are you smoking? Whatever it is it must be good I guess.

#387551 - 04/05/14 03:58 AM Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Nigel, don't know if you're familiar with this group; if not, check this out. You MUST listen to the entire thing, especially Cory Henry's synth solo towards the end. THEY might give Chick's group a run for their money. I don't think it gets much better than this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_XJ_s5IsQc

chas

#387555 - 04/05/14 05:36 AM Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. [Re: cgiles]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
How about that chad ! I was just thinking of posting the same link ! Snarky puppy are the best example of premier musicians in their own right that create something even greater collectively . Cory Henry has been playing in church since he was 4 and even now he practises between 6-8 hours every day . They are just awesome . Some of the greatest musicians in the world ever get heard . Thank God for youtube

#387557 - 04/05/14 06:25 AM Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. [Re: cgiles]
spalding1968 Offline

Sorry chas . It's this spoken text thing !

#387558 - 04/05/14 06:38 AM Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. [Re: spalding1968]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By: spalding1968
Sorry chas . It's this spoken text thing !

Kind of like Arrangers, huh. You no longer have to learn to type smile smile ............kidding, kidding.

Yeah, this group is the most exciting thing I've seen or heard in a long, long time. I hope they get the recognition they deserve. Horn section - fantastic; Drums and percussion - from another planet; Arrangements - Unreal. They are smokin'.

chas

#387560 - 04/05/14 07:19 AM Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. [Re: cgiles]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Awesome group, Chas...keyboard player is smokin' and manages to do some nice two-handed soloing as well. I also liked the synth patch he used...just the right amount of warmth and bite.

I was also very impressed with the bass player and drummer.

Lovely stuff!

Ian

#387563 - 04/05/14 07:56 AM Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Wait, wait! What's this "practice" thing you mentioned all about?

#387566 - 04/05/14 08:06 AM Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. [Re: cgiles]
spalding1968 Offline

Ha ha chas ! You are a bad man .

Cory is just off the scale in talent . But the band as a whole are incredible !

#387620 - 04/05/14 03:51 PM Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. [Re: spalding1968]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
WOW!My takeaway is the PURE JOY on the players faces as they reach that sublime level of unspoken communications.

GREAT KIDS (to me), who deserve all the recognition they get.

Chick is unparalleled on a slightly different level. I've told you before, the last performance of Return to Forever was Commonwealth Stadium in Lexington in the late fall of 1976.

After the gig, the group came to the Sportsman Restaurant, where I played 1 to 4:00 AM after hours.

I like Al so much, I had a guitar built up using the same electronics. And, I bought an Alymbic bass.

Stanley Clark is a MONSTER.

Recent performances by Return to forever have included violinist Zachary Brock, the son of a friend of mine.

Hey, see the YouTube of Snarky Puppy with Lala Hathaway...Donny's daughter? She's GREAT...in good company.

Thanks, Chas...didn't know these kids before.

A real joy to see, AND WATCH!

They'll never make much money, and, for even top jazzers, that's reality.

And that's a damn shame.

Russ

#387624 - 04/05/14 04:56 PM Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Russ, you're right. You could see that at the end of the tune every pore in their bodies was screaming "WOW man, we NAILED IT". They may not make as much money as some of their Pop or Rock counterparts, but there are things in life WAAAYYYY more important than money, and having been part of something like this at some point in your life has got to be one of them. I'm way more in awe of guys like this than I am of a bunch of rich (but soul-less) Wall Street brokers. Hey, at least us 'jazzers' don't use money as the sole measure of success (and happiness) in life.

chas

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online