For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you.

Posted by: cgiles

For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 03/26/14 02:44 PM

I was looking through some of my old REAPER backup files and found this tune and I thought of Boo always complaining about "not enough chords". Okay, I know I'm not much of a piano player (but then neither was Monk), the organ is waaayyy too percusive, and it's full of bloopers, but what the hell. The 'piano' is the Roland Fantom G7, the drums are my Alesis DM10 kit, the organ is either my C1 or my C2D (can't remember). One day I'll try to do a proper rendition on my KeyB which sounds much more authentic. My problem is, everything I play sounds like a blues. I'm sure it has something to do with limited technique smile. Anyhoo, bad or not, I love the chord progressions in this tune (although they tend to change depending on who's playing it).

BTW, I play this tune at nearly every gig so you'd think I'd know it by now.....I'll just chalk it up to old fingers. For the non-jazzers among you, the tune is called 'round midnight.

chas

https://app.box.com/s/oxgg13zsfazfxechtj18
Posted by: DonM

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 03/26/14 03:20 PM

First time I ever had something so sad-sounding cheer me up so much Chas. You are a player my friend, but it's the feel that shines through. Thanks for sharing this.
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 03/26/14 03:30 PM

Fantastic! I agree with DonM - you are a player. Man, you've gotta put more stuff on here for us to listen to. I'll bet Boo is wailin away on his sax to this one right about now. smile

Thanks for sharing this one,

Gary cool

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 03/26/14 03:33 PM

Thank you Don. I'm so glad to see you back in the land of the living smile. A lot of good humor and good feelings were missing during your absence. BTW, your wife was getting an awful lot of emotional support from these guys while you were down. I'd keep my eye on them if I were you smile smile. They may not all be as sweet and nice as I am smile. Keep getting better and don't forget what we discussed about that 'good' Southern cooking smile.

chas

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 03/26/14 03:48 PM

Hey, you mess with my wife I'll make you keep her!
So far I'm having to make myself eat. No appetite, but I have to keep the calories up for now.
I've lost 23 pounds since the surgery.

"Got no taste for food, got no taste much for nothin',
but I got my woman and the good Lord on my side.
Got some time for complainin', got T. Monk for entertainin',
I'm way better off than if I'd died!"

Somebody put that to music and record it. We got a blues smash hit on our hands here.
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 03/26/14 04:29 PM

Chas,
It's great but that bass drum is SO heavy. If was was me - I'd fire that drummer. All you need is the gentle backbeat of the hats and a nice smooth ride. Jazz ballads don't hardly EVER need kick drums. Nice playing by the piano man, though!

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 03/26/14 04:46 PM

Noted Dave. I'll pass that on. When you play the same tunes all the time, the subtle stuff starts getting lost in the shuffle. We only use the electronic kit in rehearsals, hopefully it's not as glaring with the acoustic kit.

chas
Posted by: brickboo

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 03/26/14 06:28 PM

Chas if ya move to Junction you can just call on a moments notice, I'll come play for free and just play on the tunes you want me to. I'll just shut up and listen to you on the others and unlike Dave I could give a crap how bad the drummer is, just as long as he doesn't drag or rush. It would kill the grove dude.
Thanks for making my day. Now do "Darn That Dream" that good, and I'll be miserable the rest of my life.
Great. a real player.
Posted by: zuki

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 03/26/14 07:48 PM

Nice playing Chas - very talented!
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 03/26/14 07:49 PM

chas ... great job on a great classic ... clap clap clap
I've know for some time that chas is a player ... I've had a tune of his on my iPOD for a few years now ... and NOW, I have another one ...

thanks, man ...
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 03/27/14 07:36 AM

I listened to this one several times Chas...mainly because I like the tune, and because I liked the way you played it.

The drums were fine for me, and the piano was pretty cool too, but what really made it shine was the organ...nice replication of a B-3.

Sounds like you had chorus/vibrato and the percussion was sometimes a little strong, but still worked well for that tune...4' or 2 2/3' ?

Bass pedals?

Nice work Chas...I've heard one earlier one by you and it was great as well.

Ian
Posted by: btweengigs

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 03/27/14 01:25 PM

No way I could play the Monk...but I loved listening to him in my college days. And really enjoyed your version of this T.M. classic

Chas....thanks for showing your jazz chops. Got any Jimmy Smith you'd like to share?

Eddie
Posted by: montunoman

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 03/27/14 01:30 PM

Superb playing Chas. I'd like to hear some lighter/jazzier drums perhaps with brushes but otherwise your performance was terrific. Keep 'em coming.

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 03/27/14 02:15 PM

Thanks guys, sincerely. Personally, I'm not crazy about it, mainly 'cause it's got too many rusty ol' blues licks in it. IMO, the melody and changes are so pretty that it doesn't need much 'enhancement' smile. You listen to Oscar Peterson do it and you hear those first five notes and you want to go burn your piano.
I won't defend the drums except to say that it was probably a bad choice of kits more than bad playing.

Boo, when you say 'Darn that Dream', I'm guessing you're thinking the Dexter Gordon version with Kenny Drew et al. I love Kenny's simplified comping style and even try to copy it. I'll give it a shot, any excuse to bang on that KeyB organ (the percussion is much less exaggerated on the KeyB and can be dialed in at whatever level you like). For years I had an old C2, so when I finally could afford a B3, I went a little nuts with percussion - obviously I haven't completely gotten over it smile.

The kicks in the DM10 kinda suck so I may just use the kit to trigger the drums in the Fantom or the BK7m (which are really very good).

Way back when, Diki and I were supposed to collaborate on 'Feeling Good' (Anthony Newley) but never got around to it. I'm hoping we can still do that - maybe when he comes up for the races. Maybe we'll get to hear his trombone. Anyhoo, gotta go doublecheck the changes for 'Darn that Dream'.

chas
Posted by: miden

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 03/30/14 12:22 PM

Originally Posted By: cgiles
I was looking through some of my old REAPER backup files and found this tune and I thought of Boo always complaining about "not enough chords". Okay, I know I'm not much of a piano player (but then neither was Monk),

BTW, I play this tune at nearly every gig so you'd think I'd know it by now.....I'll just chalk it up to old fingers. For the non-jazzers among you, the tune is called 'round midnight.

chas

https://app.box.com/s/oxgg13zsfazfxechtj18

I am sure Monk would be interested to hear that...

And for someone who plays a tune at every gig (thought you eschewed backing tracks?? I seem to recall you saying that somewhere?) ....well the backing was average imo. Drums were pretty bad and the bass was passable..keys playing was okay, a bit contrived and cliched, but okay.

How anyone can bag Monk and then present this...takes all sorts I guess

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 03/30/14 01:37 PM

Thanks for the feedback, Miden. Music is nothing if not subjective. I was never a big fan of Monk's playing but loved some of his compositions, especially this one. I'd love to (and I'm NOT being sarcastic) hear your interpretation of this tune.

chas
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 03/31/14 10:05 AM

Been out of town, guys!

This is one I really would have liked to play on. Takes a hell of a guy to be brave enough to post Monk!

A favorite post from a personal favorite member.

Way to go, dude!

Russ
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 03/31/14 11:43 AM

C'mon Russ, let's have your version ... clap clap clap

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 03/31/14 02:29 PM

Chas, I'm waiting for DTD!!! Nobody here on this forum is going to come close to cutting Chas on "Round Midnight." Russ may do as good but won't do better. You'd need Oscar Peterson, MyCoy, Wynton or my friend near Carmel to join the Forum to do it as good. Put up or shut. Oh that sax player that works around where Dave is may have a piano player that he works with who can do as well.

I think most anyone here trying that tune in the Jazz Genre would sound mechanical like they recorded it a dozen or more times and cut it up and spliced it together. Ha ha. Of course I've only been enjoying the ancient jazz for a couple hundred years. I also contend that Uncle Dave is wrong. It's impossible to play too many right notes in the right sequence and melodic rhythm that keeps ya guessing where the player is going next. Believe me if you know where he's going next he's not playing Jazz, he doing R&R, R&B or Country. Ha ha.

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 03/31/14 02:57 PM

Thanks Boo, but you really need to listen to Russ critically (I have). The man knows things. Things you only learn by spending a LOT of time around (and being mentored by) jazz giants like Ray Brown and Herb Ellis. If Tony Mads can goad him into it smile , I'm sure you'd be in for a real treat.

chas

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 03/31/14 03:05 PM

Russ totally plays his ass off. Sings great too. Only thing he can't do is blow his own horn. smile
Posted by: Dnj

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 03/31/14 04:14 PM

What am I missing here?..... confused1
Can anyone tell me why this is so called "genius" cool2
I Listened to it 3 x headphone ....and still have no idea... confused1
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 03/31/14 04:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Dnj

You never played diminished chords...how are you going to recognize Monk's genius smile

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 03/31/14 04:51 PM

Quote:
You never played diminished chords...how are you going to recognize Monk's genius smile

I respect all who do enjoy him, But,...
Just NOT my bag at all sorry... cool2

btw how about some "Organ Monk" ?

or some Monk "Just a Gigolo" cool2

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2zr4i_thelonious-monk-just-a-gigolo_music

Posted by: montunoman

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 03/31/14 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Dnj

I never cared for his playing but he wrote some great stuff.

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 03/31/14 07:37 PM

Well Donny, maybe Oscar can explain it to you.

chas
Posted by: Scott Langholff

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 04/01/14 02:19 AM

Nice playing chas. I enjoyed that. Hope you post more.

Here is my favorite recording of Round Midnight. They really bring out the real beauty of this song to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsqNyfPU0R8

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 04/01/14 06:23 AM

Yes Scott, that's a great big band arrangement. Here is another one you might enjoy, if only for Chick Corea's fantastic piano work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shWrMVSj_hk

Michel Petrucianni also did a beautiful solo piano version. Since it seems every major (and minor) jazz artist on the planet has recorded this song (a tribute to it's inherent beauty, as well as Monk's legacy), there are a gazillion great presentations to choose from.

As Oscar Peterson says, Monk may not be the best presenter of his own work but he sure wrote some pretty stuff. BTW, I have heard at least 15-20 different versions of Monk playing this tune and the one Donny posted is far from the best. Listen to the ones he did with Miles or Dizzy. Everyone knows Monk was a little uh, 'eccentric'. We've come to accept that from some of our artists. Let's not use some of their worst moments to demean or belittle them.

chas

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 04/01/14 08:19 AM

Maynard's a MONSTER!

Donnie, look up Kenny Rankin's guitar/vocal version of this piece. It may help explain the tune and meaning better.

It really adds a new dimension to the piece. Not sure who wrote the lyrics.

Russ

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 04/02/14 09:03 AM

BTW, Fran...loved the diminished chord deal!

Funny what really good friends can say to each other and then laugh their asses off about it!

You, Donny and Dave...the TERRIBLE TRIO (LOL)!

Russ

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 04/02/14 02:32 PM

Thanks Boo, but you really need to listen to Russ critically (I have). The man knows things. Things you only learn by spending a LOT of time around (and being mentored by) jazz giants like Ray Brown and Herb Ellis. If Tony Mads can goad him into it smile , I'm sure you'd be in for a real treat.

chas

Chas I'm well aware that Russ plays extremely well, no doubt. I mean no matter how he plays it I can't see him nor anyone else make me forget what I just heard from you friend. I didn't mean to sound like I was cutting Russ down, and I'm sure he understood what I was saying.
Peace

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 04/02/14 02:35 PM

Originally Posted By: brickboo

chas

Chas I'm well aware that Russ plays extremely well, no doubt. I mean no matter how he plays it I can't see him nor anyone else make me forget what I just heard from you friend. I didn't mean to sound like I was cutting Russ down, and I'm sure he understood what I was saying.
Peace

We can talk until the cows come homeg the proof is in the pudding,.. ...I agree with Boo...how is he or we to know anything if we dont hear it?.This is easily remedied by Russ posting a few tunes for us....whats the harm?..mystery solved.

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 04/02/14 03:27 PM

Boo, I certainly understand. At best, my rendition would be different. Chas is "my man" when it comes to extremely sensitive, "feeling dripping" interpretations of world class compositions.

And Donny, I posted 10 minutes of guitar only, and 9 minutes of a film score rough. I thought it was AWFUL!

I start a 26 hour session for a national manufacturer in Louisville at 3:00 AM in the morning. Final production is 14 minutes and change.

In the last 20 years, the only thing I ever recorded of myself other than long, boring national projects was the 10 minute guitar piece I did to see how much damage to my arm was evident. Man, were there some clinkers in that one. It was one take, straight into a Zoom. I record our family trio and HATED to listen to the playback. It 's hard to realize I'm not in the studio working on a national project.

I'm too much of a perfectionist to record ANYTHING just for myself. I don't enjoy it. My pleasure is in taking the final step and recording a track to complement a film which I have shot, scripted AND scored.

Frankly, because of the nature of the recordings I do, I can't think anyone would be interested. Most are proprietary; I can't share final production anyway.

Remember, I don't particularly enjoy playing live at all.
And the projects are so specialized that they rarely stand alone as outstanding music (lots of sound effects, "heads and tails" and such).

I don't need to prove anything to anyone but myself and the companies who pay the bills.

I work 110 hours a week and wish I could do music for pure enjoyment. But, this is what I do.

I'd take "Round Midnight" and hire 5 players from out of town. then, I'd want to mix it elsewhere.

Just go back and review what I posted in the past to get an idea about what I do and the level of ability. Even then, it was not done for fun. The deadlines too tight, the stakes to big. I LIKE THAT!

Gotta run for the gig.

Be well, all,

Russ

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 04/02/14 06:51 PM

Russ has nothing to prove to us. He barely can keep up with the many and varied obligations he has now. Taking time out to make a recording for us is not in the cards.

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 04/03/14 07:17 AM

I don't think of Russ posting any of his playing as a form of "proof" of his abilities...I feel that it's just a sharing of his talent and something for us to enjoying listening to.

However, I do respect his choice of not to post.

Ian

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 04/03/14 07:34 AM

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
..I feel that it's just a sharing of his talent and something for us to enjoying listening to.
Ian

Excactly Ian....agreed smile

And may I add "to learn from also"
Posted by: Nigel

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 04/04/14 12:39 AM

Here is another one you might enjoy, if only for Chick Corea's fantastic piano work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shWrMVSj_hk

Beautiful chas !!!! I love Chick's musical interpretation. The last time I heard him live was with Return To Forever at the Gibson Amphitheater in Los Angeles ... it was his 65th birthday that night ... he only improves as he gets older. He really shows how to work a Fender Rhodes and analog synthesizer in this clip. I really think that this lineup is the best band of all time. They are simply amazing.

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 04/04/14 09:55 AM

Does anyone else think that this is the greatest band ever also. Please tell us also what you are smoking. Ha ha. The Devil made me do this.

NIGEL THIS IS A OFF THE WALL JOKE STATEMENT RIGHT?

DID YOU SAY THIS TO RUFFLE SOME OF US GUY'S FEATHERS? lol

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 04/04/14 10:02 AM

Does anyone else think that this is the greatest band ever also. Please tell us also what you are smoking. Ha ha. The Devil made me do this.

NIGEL THIS IS A OFF THE WALL JOKE STATEMENT RIGHT?

DID YOU SAY THIS TO RUFFLE SOME OF US GUY'S FEATHERS? lol

Boo whats not to like?...didnt you enjoy the video these guys are awesome wow!? confused1

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 04/04/14 10:39 AM

Donny, REALLY, 4 PIECES THE GREATEST BAND EVER? Come on. Better than the Everly Bros? What about the Beatles and Elvis? Ha ha?
DonM, Cavanaugh, Fran, Gary where the hello are ya?

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 04/04/14 10:47 PM

REALLY, 4 PIECES THE GREATEST BAND EVER? Come on. Better than the Everly Bros? What about the Beatles and Elvis? Ha ha?

Must be personal taste I guess but I don't think those acts are even close to the same level of jazz musicianship. Are you telling me you think those acts could play the same piece of music? REALLY?

Don't get me wrong I do respect and really enjoy the acts you mention but the musical style is so completely different it is really so very silly to compare them on a thread that is about jazz musicians. You are trying to compare Elvis with Chick Corea ... what are you smoking? Whatever it is it must be good I guess.

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 04/05/14 03:58 AM

Nigel, don't know if you're familiar with this group; if not, check this out. You MUST listen to the entire thing, especially Cory Henry's synth solo towards the end. THEY might give Chick's group a run for their money. I don't think it gets much better than this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_XJ_s5IsQc

chas
Posted by: spalding1968

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 04/05/14 05:36 AM

How about that chad ! I was just thinking of posting the same link ! Snarky puppy are the best example of premier musicians in their own right that create something even greater collectively . Cory Henry has been playing in church since he was 4 and even now he practises between 6-8 hours every day . They are just awesome . Some of the greatest musicians in the world ever get heard . Thank God for youtube

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 04/05/14 06:25 AM

Sorry chas . It's this spoken text thing !

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 04/05/14 06:38 AM

Originally Posted By: spalding1968
Sorry chas . It's this spoken text thing !

Kind of like Arrangers, huh. You no longer have to learn to type smile smile ............kidding, kidding.

Yeah, this group is the most exciting thing I've seen or heard in a long, long time. I hope they get the recognition they deserve. Horn section - fantastic; Drums and percussion - from another planet; Arrangements - Unreal. They are smokin'.

chas

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 04/05/14 07:19 AM

Awesome group, Chas...keyboard player is smokin' and manages to do some nice two-handed soloing as well. I also liked the synth patch he used...just the right amount of warmth and bite.

I was also very impressed with the bass player and drummer.

Lovely stuff!

Ian

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 04/05/14 07:56 AM

Wait, wait! What's this "practice" thing you mentioned all about?

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 04/05/14 08:06 AM

Ha ha chas ! You are a bad man .

Cory is just off the scale in talent . But the band as a whole are incredible !

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 04/05/14 03:51 PM

WOW!My takeaway is the PURE JOY on the players faces as they reach that sublime level of unspoken communications.

GREAT KIDS (to me), who deserve all the recognition they get.

Chick is unparalleled on a slightly different level. I've told you before, the last performance of Return to Forever was Commonwealth Stadium in Lexington in the late fall of 1976.

After the gig, the group came to the Sportsman Restaurant, where I played 1 to 4:00 AM after hours.

I like Al so much, I had a guitar built up using the same electronics. And, I bought an Alymbic bass.

Stanley Clark is a MONSTER.

Recent performances by Return to forever have included violinist Zachary Brock, the son of a friend of mine.

Hey, see the YouTube of Snarky Puppy with Lala Hathaway...Donny's daughter? She's GREAT...in good company.

Thanks, Chas...didn't know these kids before.

A real joy to see, AND WATCH!

They'll never make much money, and, for even top jazzers, that's reality.

And that's a damn shame.

Russ

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 04/05/14 04:56 PM

Russ, you're right. You could see that at the end of the tune every pore in their bodies was screaming "WOW man, we NAILED IT". They may not make as much money as some of their Pop or Rock counterparts, but there are things in life WAAAYYYY more important than money, and having been part of something like this at some point in your life has got to be one of them. I'm way more in awe of guys like this than I am of a bunch of rich (but soul-less) Wall Street brokers. Hey, at least us 'jazzers' don't use money as the sole measure of success (and happiness) in life.

chas

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 04/05/14 05:08 PM

OR, we do something ELSE for a living and live with the choice and comfort.

That's what we (you and I) did.

Whether that was the right decision is a question I constantly ask myself.

Damn!

Russ

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 04/05/14 06:33 PM

I played music for a living ever since I was around 15 years old...I've done very few other type jobs, and if I did, they were related to playing music or working with keyboards.

Now at 65, and restructuring things before I start gigging again, I can say I have no regrets.

Playing music has always been the central theme and never a sideline. Sometimes i had to make hard choices, but they were worth it.

Ian

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 04/06/14 02:42 AM

Nigel, don't know if you're familiar with this group; if not, check this out. You MUST listen to the entire thing, especially Cory Henry's synth solo towards the end. THEY might give Chick's group a run for their money. I don't think it gets much better than this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_XJ_s5IsQc

chas

Loved it chas. I am going to listen to more of their clips that I see listed at Youtube. You were right that synth solo is awesome. I bet Chick would love it too. But you can be certain I won't be comparing it to Elvis wink

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 04/06/14 03:41 AM

Originally Posted By: captain Russ

Thanks, Chas...didn't know these kids before.

A real joy to see, AND WATCH!

They'll never make much money, and, for even top jazzers, that's reality.

And that's a damn shame.

Russ

I didn't know them either until chas told us. But they sure deserve to be rewarded for the musical ability they have. I will be buying their DVD after hearing them. Their music is magical.

Posted by: mackel

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 11/05/15 03:26 AM

Nice playing.

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 11/05/15 03:36 AM

great playing clap

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 11/05/15 04:43 AM

Originally Posted By: mackel
Nice playing.
Nice playing.
Nice playing.
great playing clap
great playing clap
great playing clap
great playing clap
great playing clap
great playing clap
great playing clap

Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. - 11/05/15 08:06 AM

Chas I'm elated that this popped up again. Got to listen to a great tune again too. Great sound, great performance. Fine entertainer and Musician Extraordinaire. Plenty of chord changes that all sound perfect. Man if I'd be rich instead of great looking, I'd be flying to Ga. every weekend to gig in the living room if necessary. I say weekends because I'd be with my friend SonnyG out on the West Coast. If you heard him talk you'd know he was from Sippi. If you heard him play you wouldn't believe it. A Hattiesburg Miss boy doing real jazz extremely well.