SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#387401 - 04/02/14 02:32 PM Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. [Re: cgiles]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Originally Posted By: cgiles
Thanks Boo, but you really need to listen to Russ critically (I have). The man knows things. Things you only learn by spending a LOT of time around (and being mentored by) jazz giants like Ray Brown and Herb Ellis. If Tony Mads can goad him into it smile , I'm sure you'd be in for a real treat.

chas

Chas I'm well aware that Russ plays extremely well, no doubt. I mean no matter how he plays it I can't see him nor anyone else make me forget what I just heard from you friend. I didn't mean to sound like I was cutting Russ down, and I'm sure he understood what I was saying.
Peace

#387402 - 04/02/14 02:35 PM Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. [Re: brickboo]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: brickboo
Thanks Boo, but you really need to listen to Russ critically (I have). The man knows things. Things you only learn by spending a LOT of time around (and being mentored by) jazz giants like Ray Brown and Herb Ellis. If Tony Mads can goad him into it smile , I'm sure you'd be in for a real treat.

chas

Chas I'm well aware that Russ plays extremely well, no doubt. I mean no matter how he plays it I can't see him nor anyone else make me forget what I just heard from you friend. I didn't mean to sound like I was cutting Russ down, and I'm sure he understood what I was saying.
Peace

We can talk until the cows come homeg the proof is in the pudding,.. ...I agree with Boo...how is he or we to know anything if we dont hear it?.This is easily remedied by Russ posting a few tunes for us....whats the harm?..mystery solved.

#387407 - 04/02/14 03:27 PM Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. [Re: Dnj]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Boo, I certainly understand. At best, my rendition would be different. Chas is "my man" when it comes to extremely sensitive, "feeling dripping" interpretations of world class compositions.

And Donny, I posted 10 minutes of guitar only, and 9 minutes of a film score rough. I thought it was AWFUL!

I start a 26 hour session for a national manufacturer in Louisville at 3:00 AM in the morning. Final production is 14 minutes and change.

In the last 20 years, the only thing I ever recorded of myself other than long, boring national projects was the 10 minute guitar piece I did to see how much damage to my arm was evident. Man, were there some clinkers in that one. It was one take, straight into a Zoom. I record our family trio and HATED to listen to the playback. It 's hard to realize I'm not in the studio working on a national project.

I'm too much of a perfectionist to record ANYTHING just for myself. I don't enjoy it. My pleasure is in taking the final step and recording a track to complement a film which I have shot, scripted AND scored.

Frankly, because of the nature of the recordings I do, I can't think anyone would be interested. Most are proprietary; I can't share final production anyway.

Remember, I don't particularly enjoy playing live at all.
And the projects are so specialized that they rarely stand alone as outstanding music (lots of sound effects, "heads and tails" and such).

I don't need to prove anything to anyone but myself and the companies who pay the bills.

I work 110 hours a week and wish I could do music for pure enjoyment. But, this is what I do.

I'd take "Round Midnight" and hire 5 players from out of town. then, I'd want to mix it elsewhere.

Just go back and review what I posted in the past to get an idea about what I do and the level of ability. Even then, it was not done for fun. The deadlines too tight, the stakes to big. I LIKE THAT!

Gotta run for the gig.

Be well, all,

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (04/02/14 04:01 PM)

#387413 - 04/02/14 06:51 PM Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Russ has nothing to prove to us. He barely can keep up with the many and varied obligations he has now. Taking time out to make a recording for us is not in the cards.

#387430 - 04/03/14 07:17 AM Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. [Re: cgiles]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I don't think of Russ posting any of his playing as a form of "proof" of his abilities...I feel that it's just a sharing of his talent and something for us to enjoying listening to.

However, I do respect his choice of not to post.

Ian

#387433 - 04/03/14 07:34 AM Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
..I feel that it's just a sharing of his talent and something for us to enjoying listening to.
Ian

Excactly Ian....agreed smile

And may I add "to learn from also"

#387471 - 04/04/14 12:39 AM Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. [Re: cgiles]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Here is another one you might enjoy, if only for Chick Corea's fantastic piano work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shWrMVSj_hk

Beautiful chas !!!! I love Chick's musical interpretation. The last time I heard him live was with Return To Forever at the Gibson Amphitheater in Los Angeles ... it was his 65th birthday that night ... he only improves as he gets older. He really shows how to work a Fender Rhodes and analog synthesizer in this clip. I really think that this lineup is the best band of all time. They are simply amazing.

#387514 - 04/04/14 09:55 AM Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. [Re: cgiles]
brickboo Offline

Does anyone else think that this is the greatest band ever also. Please tell us also what you are smoking. Ha ha. The Devil made me do this.

NIGEL THIS IS A OFF THE WALL JOKE STATEMENT RIGHT?

DID YOU SAY THIS TO RUFFLE SOME OF US GUY'S FEATHERS? lol

#387516 - 04/04/14 10:02 AM Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. [Re: brickboo]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: brickboo
Does anyone else think that this is the greatest band ever also. Please tell us also what you are smoking. Ha ha. The Devil made me do this.

NIGEL THIS IS A OFF THE WALL JOKE STATEMENT RIGHT?

DID YOU SAY THIS TO RUFFLE SOME OF US GUY'S FEATHERS? lol

Boo whats not to like?...didnt you enjoy the video these guys are awesome wow!? confused1

Edited by Dnj (04/04/14 10:03 AM)

#387517 - 04/04/14 10:39 AM Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. [Re: Dnj]
brickboo Offline

Donny, REALLY, 4 PIECES THE GREATEST BAND EVER? Come on. Better than the Everly Bros? What about the Beatles and Elvis? Ha ha?
DonM, Cavanaugh, Fran, Gary where the hello are ya?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online