SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#387032 - 03/27/14 07:36 AM Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. [Re: cgiles]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I listened to this one several times Chas...mainly because I like the tune, and because I liked the way you played it.

The drums were fine for me, and the piano was pretty cool too, but what really made it shine was the organ...nice replication of a B-3.

Sounds like you had chorus/vibrato and the percussion was sometimes a little strong, but still worked well for that tune...4' or 2 2/3' ?

Bass pedals?

Nice work Chas...I've heard one earlier one by you and it was great as well.

Ian

#387045 - 03/27/14 01:25 PM Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. [Re: ianmcnll]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
No way I could play the Monk...but I loved listening to him in my college days. And really enjoyed your version of this T.M. classic

Chas....thanks for showing your jazz chops. Got any Jimmy Smith you'd like to share?

Eddie

#387046 - 03/27/14 01:30 PM Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. [Re: cgiles]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Superb playing Chas. I'd like to hear some lighter/jazzier drums perhaps with brushes but otherwise your performance was terrific. Keep 'em coming.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#387047 - 03/27/14 02:15 PM Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Thanks guys, sincerely. Personally, I'm not crazy about it, mainly 'cause it's got too many rusty ol' blues licks in it. IMO, the melody and changes are so pretty that it doesn't need much 'enhancement' smile. You listen to Oscar Peterson do it and you hear those first five notes and you want to go burn your piano.
I won't defend the drums except to say that it was probably a bad choice of kits more than bad playing.

Boo, when you say 'Darn that Dream', I'm guessing you're thinking the Dexter Gordon version with Kenny Drew et al. I love Kenny's simplified comping style and even try to copy it. I'll give it a shot, any excuse to bang on that KeyB organ (the percussion is much less exaggerated on the KeyB and can be dialed in at whatever level you like). For years I had an old C2, so when I finally could afford a B3, I went a little nuts with percussion - obviously I haven't completely gotten over it smile.

The kicks in the DM10 kinda suck so I may just use the kit to trigger the drums in the Fantom or the BK7m (which are really very good).

Way back when, Diki and I were supposed to collaborate on 'Feeling Good' (Anthony Newley) but never got around to it. I'm hoping we can still do that - maybe when he comes up for the races. Maybe we'll get to hear his trombone. Anyhoo, gotta go doublecheck the changes for 'Darn that Dream'.

chas

#387182 - 03/30/14 12:22 PM Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. [Re: cgiles]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: cgiles
I was looking through some of my old REAPER backup files and found this tune and I thought of Boo always complaining about "not enough chords". Okay, I know I'm not much of a piano player (but then neither was Monk),

BTW, I play this tune at nearly every gig so you'd think I'd know it by now.....I'll just chalk it up to old fingers. For the non-jazzers among you, the tune is called 'round midnight.

chas

https://app.box.com/s/oxgg13zsfazfxechtj18

I am sure Monk would be interested to hear that...

And for someone who plays a tune at every gig (thought you eschewed backing tracks?? I seem to recall you saying that somewhere?) ....well the backing was average imo. Drums were pretty bad and the bass was passable..keys playing was okay, a bit contrived and cliched, but okay.

How anyone can bag Monk and then present this...takes all sorts I guess

#387183 - 03/30/14 01:37 PM Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Thanks for the feedback, Miden. Music is nothing if not subjective. I was never a big fan of Monk's playing but loved some of his compositions, especially this one. I'd love to (and I'm NOT being sarcastic) hear your interpretation of this tune.

chas

#387214 - 03/31/14 10:05 AM Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. [Re: cgiles]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Been out of town, guys!

This is one I really would have liked to play on. Takes a hell of a guy to be brave enough to post Monk!

A favorite post from a personal favorite member.

Way to go, dude!

Russ

#387226 - 03/31/14 11:43 AM Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
C'mon Russ, let's have your version ... clap clap clap

#387244 - 03/31/14 02:29 PM Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. [Re: cgiles]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Chas, I'm waiting for DTD!!! Nobody here on this forum is going to come close to cutting Chas on "Round Midnight." Russ may do as good but won't do better. You'd need Oscar Peterson, MyCoy, Wynton or my friend near Carmel to join the Forum to do it as good. Put up or shut. Oh that sax player that works around where Dave is may have a piano player that he works with who can do as well.

I think most anyone here trying that tune in the Jazz Genre would sound mechanical like they recorded it a dozen or more times and cut it up and spliced it together. Ha ha. Of course I've only been enjoying the ancient jazz for a couple hundred years. I also contend that Uncle Dave is wrong. It's impossible to play too many right notes in the right sequence and melodic rhythm that keeps ya guessing where the player is going next. Believe me if you know where he's going next he's not playing Jazz, he doing R&R, R&B or Country. Ha ha.

#387246 - 03/31/14 02:57 PM Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Thanks Boo, but you really need to listen to Russ critically (I have). The man knows things. Things you only learn by spending a LOT of time around (and being mentored by) jazz giants like Ray Brown and Herb Ellis. If Tony Mads can goad him into it smile , I'm sure you'd be in for a real treat.

chas

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online