SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#386994 - 03/26/14 02:44 PM For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you.
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I was looking through some of my old REAPER backup files and found this tune and I thought of Boo always complaining about "not enough chords". Okay, I know I'm not much of a piano player (but then neither was Monk), the organ is waaayyy too percusive, and it's full of bloopers, but what the hell. The 'piano' is the Roland Fantom G7, the drums are my Alesis DM10 kit, the organ is either my C1 or my C2D (can't remember). One day I'll try to do a proper rendition on my KeyB which sounds much more authentic. My problem is, everything I play sounds like a blues. I'm sure it has something to do with limited technique smile. Anyhoo, bad or not, I love the chord progressions in this tune (although they tend to change depending on who's playing it).

BTW, I play this tune at nearly every gig so you'd think I'd know it by now.....I'll just chalk it up to old fingers. For the non-jazzers among you, the tune is called 'round midnight.

chas

https://app.box.com/s/oxgg13zsfazfxechtj18

#386996 - 03/26/14 03:20 PM Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
First time I ever had something so sad-sounding cheer me up so much Chas. You are a player my friend, but it's the feel that shines through. Thanks for sharing this.

#386997 - 03/26/14 03:30 PM Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. [Re: cgiles]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Fantastic! I agree with DonM - you are a player. Man, you've gotta put more stuff on here for us to listen to. I'll bet Boo is wailin away on his sax to this one right about now. smile

Thanks for sharing this one,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#386998 - 03/26/14 03:33 PM Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Thank you Don. I'm so glad to see you back in the land of the living smile. A lot of good humor and good feelings were missing during your absence. BTW, your wife was getting an awful lot of emotional support from these guys while you were down. I'd keep my eye on them if I were you smile smile. They may not all be as sweet and nice as I am smile. Keep getting better and don't forget what we discussed about that 'good' Southern cooking smile.

chas

#386999 - 03/26/14 03:48 PM Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Hey, you mess with my wife I'll make you keep her!
So far I'm having to make myself eat. No appetite, but I have to keep the calories up for now.
I've lost 23 pounds since the surgery.

"Got no taste for food, got no taste much for nothin',
but I got my woman and the good Lord on my side.
Got some time for complainin', got T. Monk for entertainin',
I'm way better off than if I'd died!"

Somebody put that to music and record it. We got a blues smash hit on our hands here.

#387000 - 03/26/14 04:29 PM Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. [Re: cgiles]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Chas,
It's great but that bass drum is SO heavy. If was was me - I'd fire that drummer. All you need is the gentle backbeat of the hats and a nice smooth ride. Jazz ballads don't hardly EVER need kick drums. Nice playing by the piano man, though!

#387002 - 03/26/14 04:46 PM Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Noted Dave. I'll pass that on. When you play the same tunes all the time, the subtle stuff starts getting lost in the shuffle. We only use the electronic kit in rehearsals, hopefully it's not as glaring with the acoustic kit.

chas

#387006 - 03/26/14 06:28 PM Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. [Re: cgiles]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Chas if ya move to Junction you can just call on a moments notice, I'll come play for free and just play on the tunes you want me to. I'll just shut up and listen to you on the others and unlike Dave I could give a crap how bad the drummer is, just as long as he doesn't drag or rush. It would kill the grove dude.
Thanks for making my day. Now do "Darn That Dream" that good, and I'll be miserable the rest of my life.
Great. a real player.

#387009 - 03/26/14 07:48 PM Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. [Re: cgiles]
zuki Offline

Nice playing Chas - very talented!

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#387010 - 03/26/14 07:49 PM Re: For Thelonious Monk lovers - all one of you. [Re: brickboo]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
chas ... great job on a great classic ... clap clap clap
I've know for some time that chas is a player ... I've had a tune of his on my iPOD for a few years now ... and NOW, I have another one ...

thanks, man ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online