SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#386104 - 03/11/14 01:55 AM Re: OT - yet more health issues (neck/nerve issues) [Re: jimlaing]
Beemer Offline

Loc: Scotland
Jim,

To add to my previous comments and at the risk of identifying a surgery risk.

In my reading about cervical neck surgery I learned that a surgeon may decide to enter at the front of the spine. This for one person who posted resulted in voice box trauma that lasted six months.

I raised this point with my potential surgeon and he confirmed the front entry procedure and risk. I did not ask him if the patient has an option on this but I will do if I eventually have to have surgery.

Ian

#386108 - 03/11/14 07:00 AM Re: OT - yet more health issues (neck/nerve issues) [Re: jimlaing]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Ian, the frontal approach is often used by surgeons if the disk is high, such as a C4/C3 herniation. Tell the surgeon you are a professional singer and they will use a lot more caution during the procedure to prevent damage to the vocal folds.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#386141 - 03/11/14 07:36 PM Re: OT - yet more health issues (neck/nerve issues) [Re: travlin'easy]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I had c5-6 fused about two years ago to relieve similar symptoms. Frontal entry was done-suggested as to lower risk of damaging nerves clustered at that area at the back. I , like Hammer, consider it a success. Waiting for further damage is not my advice. I had l2-3 fused in my back after all kinds of shots and a lesser procedure (microdiskectomy) and ended up with permanent damage in my legs and and am still going for other procedures, including one tomorrow, to try to lessen the pain. Don't wait- and hope your insurance company is on board. And listen to your doctors about recovery time. Don't think you can drive when that may require quick and extreme left to right movements etc. That's my experience. Neck in 2010, back in 2008.

#386342 - 03/14/14 07:18 AM Re: OT - yet more health issues (neck/nerve issues) [Re: sparky589]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Hi to all who wrote ... thanks! I'm now ~3 weeks into this "situation" and things are "so-so". The initial short term plan (reduce the inflammation, physical therapy) had reduced the worst of the pain, but the numbness and weakness of the left hand is still about the same (not getting better). I found out through local 'networking' that several friends and family have gone though somewhat similar situations. The guitarist in my band had surgery including C1-C4 fused (?) and his grip strength did return and he says it was successful for him.

My MRI showed apparently various smaller 'issues' in several of the Cs (C2, 4, 5) plus the more significant problems at C7. I guess I have a few things that could be "waiting to happen" ... I felt so fine for all my life; didn't know I could have all these cervical issues sitting there, and the doctors say they happen very gradually, so I guess it was inevitable for me that I'd have some problem eventually.

Turns out 3 out of 6 siblings have had neck/nerve issues (2 had surgery), and my Mom had back disc issues (surgery). Maybe there is a bit of genetic "pre-disposition" some of this?!

All I know is I hate being NOT able to play music they way I used to and did without thinking before - my health seemed so "normal" and "OK". Time will tell; hopefully some next steps will take care of at least some of the problems or potential/future problems ...

Thanks again for all the notes, ideas, comments, on this topic ...
Jim

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online