Hi to all who wrote ... thanks! I'm now ~3 weeks into this "situation" and things are "so-so". The initial short term plan (reduce the inflammation, physical therapy) had reduced the worst of the pain, but the numbness and weakness of the left hand is still about the same (not getting better). I found out through local 'networking' that several friends and family have gone though somewhat similar situations. The guitarist in my band had surgery including C1-C4 fused (?) and his grip strength did return and he says it was successful for him.

My MRI showed apparently various smaller 'issues' in several of the Cs (C2, 4, 5) plus the more significant problems at C7. I guess I have a few things that could be "waiting to happen" ... I felt so fine for all my life; didn't know I could have all these cervical issues sitting there, and the doctors say they happen very gradually, so I guess it was inevitable for me that I'd have some problem eventually.

Turns out 3 out of 6 siblings have had neck/nerve issues (2 had surgery), and my Mom had back disc issues (surgery). Maybe there is a bit of genetic "pre-disposition" some of this?!

All I know is I hate being NOT able to play music they way I used to and did without thinking before - my health seemed so "normal" and "OK". Time will tell; hopefully some next steps will take care of at least some of the problems or potential/future problems ...

Thanks again for all the notes, ideas, comments, on this topic ...
Jim