SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#386335 - 03/14/14 04:56 AM Jukebox - HELP!
katrina Offline

Loc: Colchester, UK
JUKEBOX - any suggestions ?!?!?!?
My KN7000 (acquired last summer) didn't come with the Panasonic Card Reader in the Jukebox 2.4 box (previous owner sadly deceased). I find I can't load Audio onto the SD card (I'm using my ancient XP laptop) because Jukebox 2.4 won't recognise the SD in either the laptop SD slot or the generic card reader.

I understand that the later version Jukebox 5 works with the KN7000 and can work with any card reader. Unfortunately, Version 5 (or any other version!) seems to be unavailable, even as a torrent download.

I would have replaced my broken KN6500 with another KN6500 if I'd have known I couldn't use Audio on the KN7000. (The KN7000 is so much heavier, although admittedly it's very useful to have the SD function!). I stuck with Technics as I do a lot of sequencing, am familiar with the sequencer, and need to be able to use all my old Technics Sequences (and don't much like the over-heavy Yamaha bass!)

I had been hoping to load an Audio accompaniment for one of my soloist singers to perform in our concert in a week's time. And I was really looking forward to delving into the audio side of things for other performances!!!

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

#386336 - 03/14/14 05:32 AM Re: Jukebox - HELP! [Re: katrina]
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Hi Katrina - there comes a moment when initially loading Jukebox v2.4 into your PC/Laptop when you get to nominate where (which port in old language) the software should expect to find the SD Card.
Try deleting and reloading Jukebox v2.4 and watch out for that opportunity.
I use my windows 7 laptop and Jukebox recognises an SD Card in the laptop SD slot straight away.
There may also be a screen on Jukebox v2.4 where you can change the point where the SD Card is, going from memory.
One other thing - some little while ago my Windows XP desk top computer no longer seemed to want to work with Jukebox v2.4 and always rejected it as having a virus which was strange. It was as though Windows XP had taken against Jukebox v2.4
Hope this helps. Certainly the Audio facility is brilliant for backing tracks for supporting singers.

#386351 - 03/14/14 09:37 AM Re: Jukebox - HELP! [Re: RMepstead]
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Katrina,

The SD Jukebox program will only work with the Panasonic USB SD Card Reader/Writer module. It won't work with any other generic SD Card readers, whether they are external or internal on your Laptop. Why Panasonic imposed this restriction is beyond comprehension !!!
Your only chance is to obtain the "SD Audio PC Writing Kit SZ-CB7" which included the reader/writer module..... The kits do appear occasionally on eBay - try registering a 'Watch' for Technics/Panasonic items on eBay and you can be alerted by email when they appear for sale.

As an alternative, you could use an MP3 player connected to the Line Input of your KN7000 to play your 'backing tracks'. I know of other KN7000 owners who have used this method, and whilst not quite so convenient as playing from an SD Card in the KN7000, it does provide a workable alternative.

#386352 - 03/14/14 09:59 AM Re: Jukebox - HELP! [Re: RMepstead]
katrina Offline

Hi Roger,

Really appreciate you getting back to me so quickly.

I was all set to do what you suggested, but now (she says, tearing hair out!) I find the laptop we had lent our daughter for university has returned with no functioning sound-card. (And a whole load of other stuff wiped). I can use it for TechManager and that's about it at the moment.

However, I was a reading a thread started by you last summer
http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/369476/Re_SD_Jukebox_for_KN7000#Post369476

when you had the trouble with XP and was wondering if you perhaps got hold of the Jukebox Version 5 suggested there? John (JD5live) may have sent you a copy. 23 July 2013 as it was he suggested this as a better version of Jukebox for the kn7000

Is it at all possible that you installed that version and then forgot about it? Elsewhere I read that it is actually impossible to use a different card-reader with version 2.4 - although, if I can find the original sound card drivers I will certainly try your suggestion.

I am also considering whether to attempt to load Windows onto my Mac as a virtual Windows, but a bit worried about messing up my Mac.

or try and get hold of a new or 2nd-hand cheap laptop just for the keyboard.

Could you perhaps tell me how you managed to get your KN7000 programmes working on the more modern Windows? Is it by using compatibility mode?

#386353 - 03/14/14 10:09 AM Re: Jukebox - HELP! [Re: katrina]
katrina Offline

Hello Bill!

Just found you've posted a reply. Thanks!

I understand, via the thread I've linked to in my other reply to Roger, that the Jukebox Version 5 works fine with the KN7000 and avoids the need for the Panasonic card-reader.

Yes I have been looking on Ebay and Amazon. The last time anyone sold one was in April, though there was one in a foreign country for a ridiculous amount of money (hundreds!)

If I was able to get the Panasonic Version 5 Jukebox software that would perhaps be quicker.

Why isn't life simple?

#386356 - 03/14/14 12:22 PM Re: Jukebox - HELP! [Re: katrina]
RMepstead Offline

JD5Live (John) has just this moment sent me Sd Jukebox version 5 bless him so I'll have a go with it on my desktop computer and see what happens. My laptop is missing at the moment but when I loaded Jukebox v2.4 on it strangely enough it just worked and with the SD Card just in the SD Card slot of the laptop...weird.
I wouldn't mind betting that I've got a KN7000 audio version of the song you want to back your singer with - as a matter of interest what is the song?

#386357 - 03/14/14 01:07 PM Re: Jukebox - HELP! [Re: katrina]
RMepstead Offline

Yours truly reporting back that version 5 works brilliantly with my Windows XP desktop computer - either John or I may be able to help you further Katrina.
Rog

#386361 - 03/14/14 02:48 PM Re: Jukebox - HELP! [Re: Bill Norrie]
technicsplayer Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill Norrie
The SD Jukebox program will only work with the Panasonic USB SD Card Reader/Writer module. It won't work with any other generic SD Card readers, whether they are external or internal on your Laptop. Why Panasonic imposed this restriction is beyond comprehension !!!

Although substantially true, this is not absolutely true, since my old laptop could write audio to sd through its inbuilt slot since made by Toshiba, a co-inventor of the SD format. They obviously had all of the relevant sd code in their firmware, something that all hardware does not necessarily have (those that do not pay the royalties). Also my Panasonic PCMCIA SD reader could write audio (another defunct format). Whether any models today can do this I can't say without having tried every one. The limitation was a result of the "secure" part of the format. It was designed to preserve copyright on retail downloaded music to prevent copying, but this part of the technology never took off commercially. Remember at the time SD was still a new format vying to usurp Compact Flash from top spot, let alone things like MMC and XD which have since disappeared into history, like Technics.

#386373 - 03/14/14 06:54 PM Re: Jukebox - HELP! [Re: RMepstead]
katrina Offline

Dear Roger, Bill, Alec, John

You must think me awfully rude for not having responded to all your helpfulness.

EXPLANATION & APOLOGY FOLLOWS - but you may wish to skip over this paragraph as it's quite boring !
I had to teach this afternoon/evening (also have 4 hours non-stop tomorrow, Sat) and have been sitting up to 1.30am trying to figure out what my daughter has done to our old XP laptop when she had it at university. Seems to have disabled the onboard sound card to make room perhaps for all her graphics programmes until she got her own laptop. Have spent hours downloading drivers/restarting etc and have been all through My Computer, with a tooth comb (though not literally, you may be pleased to hear!). Will see what happens if I plug in some cheap USB speakers as I can't find the sound card !!!! " NO AUDIO DEVICE" It never was my own personal laptop (hubbies). I used to have a desktop with a Soundblaster Audigy - but the wretched thing blew - it was 11 years old, but I kept upgrading it (obviously a bit too long!!!)

I AM SO APPRECIATIVE OF ALL YOUR HELP & CONCERN and can't believe, John, that you have gone to so much trouble considering your present circumstances.

That really is Marvellous news about the Jukebox v5. (I have sent PMs to John & Roger). Have you tried it on the KN7 yet, Roger?

Very interesting about the Toshiba laptop SD, Alec. (So happy you still take an interest in the Technics forum). (Unfortunately, my old laptop is a Fujitsu Siemens). Can't wait to have another go with the old thing at lunch time - after the required cup of tea etc.

Sorry to be so brief (?????) but sleep calls…..

#386380 - 03/15/14 02:30 AM Re: Jukebox - HELP! [Re: katrina]
RMepstead Offline

Yes Katrina - I have tried v5 and put the SD Card into my KN7 and it works - brilliant.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online