SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#386046 - 03/10/14 06:47 AM YAMAHA isn't it time for a New S-Series Arranger .
Dnj Offline

YAMAHA, isn't it time for a New S-Series Arranger KB to replace the S-950?
HELLO?

What is the delay? Will Muisicmesse offer some clues, Or?
with the release of the T5 seems like it's time don't you think? Personally whenever it is released it better blow me away, "feature wise" for me to give up my precious S-950... keys
I guess like the rest of us we'll have to wait and see as always...... confused1

PS, Please hurry cool2

#386050 - 03/10/14 07:24 AM Re: YAMAHA isn't it time for a New S-Series Arranger . [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I suspect a new S-series including a replacement for the PSR-S650 will follow in about a year...followed by a new CVP.

We may also see a new PSR-E-series as well as the next DGX digital piano-based arrangers.

But, sometimes launch schedules don't always line up as they used to, so it really may be a "wait and see".

I'm still exploring my Tyros4 and still very much enjoying what it does...in fact, there really isn't anything I would wish that it had, certainly nothing that was introduced on the Tyros5. The Audio Drum based styles (also on S950) do not impress me in the least, and are far too limited in their editing capabilities to be of any real use.

I think I'm through buying any arrangers for at least a few more years...which simply means I'm fortunate enough that my present Tyros4 covers all my needs.

Ian

#386052 - 03/10/14 07:30 AM Re: YAMAHA isn't it time for a New S-Series Arranger . [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
HURRY, YAMAHA, HURRY !!! ...Donny is going through KCW -'Keyboard Change Withdrawal' - confused2 ... it's been over a year !!! dancers ... HURRY before he does someth1ng DRASTIC like buy a G70 !!! laugh2 laugh2 laugh2

Donny ... I've got a Pa600 if you want something DIFFERENT for a while ... wink
keys

Edited by tony mads usa (03/10/14 07:31 AM)

#386054 - 03/10/14 07:52 AM Re: YAMAHA isn't it time for a New S-Series Arranger . [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I've got a bridge in Brooklyn for him to purchase before he buys a new keyboard, Tony. For me, I think the S-950 will be my last keyboard - EVER! I'll never need more than the S950 offers - I'm not that talented. smile

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#386058 - 03/10/14 08:06 AM Re: YAMAHA isn't it time for a New S-Series Arranger . [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
HURRY before he does something DRASTIC like buy a G70 !!! keys

G70?..BEEN THERE DONE THAT surprised

sorry boyz I am VERY content with my fabulous S-950
13 months baby a new personal record! clap Like I said only NEW FEATURES will sway me to buy the next S series, eg: NEW designed VH, MFD,etc, ....
The S-950 sounds & styles (except the audio styles frown ) are MORE then adequate for my needs.

Edited by Dnj (03/10/14 08:08 AM)

#386059 - 03/10/14 08:13 AM Re: YAMAHA isn't it time for a New S-Series Arranger . [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

I think it's great to look forward to new products, and there's always the oohs and aahs of new features, but, for my needs, the present arranger offerings are enough. In fact, the TOTL and MOTL offerings from Roland and Korg would also work fine for me, if I was to want a change.

Of course, Donny's post could indicate that the S950 isn't entirely what he wants, and perhaps it is missing a key feature that would make it complete for his needs.

I remember something he mentioned some time ago about the Music Finder (Yamaha's) not being entirely suited to his needs...is there hope for it to be differently implemented (and therefore, more useful) on the next S-Series?

Also the S950's VH-2 wasn't quite enough for his needs.

Ian

#386062 - 03/10/14 08:27 AM Re: YAMAHA isn't it time for a New S-Series Arranger . [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

If Yamaha would just LISTEN to the players needs regarding "Features" everyone would be better off IMO.
For the VH all they have to do is A/B with any Tc Helicon to see they are miles away from a quality vocalizer on their arrangers.
Kudos to KORG for implementing a TC on their arrangers. clap
And Yamaha MFD is ANCIENT in comparison to KORGS Songbook...
I'm sure they know all this but choose to do nothing about improving it and thats sad. frown Look how long it took to see a 76key Tyros?...just sayin' wink

#386066 - 03/10/14 09:27 AM Re: YAMAHA isn't it time for a New S-Series Arranger . [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Ah, well, Donny, obviously your priorities and Yamaha's are different. I honestly can't see them doing any drastic changes to the present Vocal Harmony processor, especially on the next S-series. It would more likely arrive on the Tyros6...if at all. So you are best off using a TC Helicon or equivalent.

The current VH-2 works a treat for my uses, which include harmony for guest singers, recording as well as for my own Vocoding purposes.

I tend to use very little Vocal Harmony, and treat it much like a spice in food...I use it, but use it judiciously...and sometimes, it's not needed at all.

It really doesn't matter how long it took Yamaha to make a 76'er...the important thing is that they have, and a fine one it is, according to those who are using it.

I played a friend's Tyros5-76 and, I must say, if I was to need a 76'er, I'd get one in a heart best.

Ian

#386068 - 03/10/14 09:53 AM Re: YAMAHA isn't it time for a New S-Series Arranger . [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Ian, the use of the VH all depends upon the song itself - and most of the time, but not all, it should be used sparingly, as you stated. There are some songs, however, that require much more vocal harmony than others. Never The Less is one such song - it's all harmony. Cool Water, the bridge and then some is harmony. A number of country songs utilize harmony in the bridge. Consequently, if you are trying to emulate the original songs as closely as possibly, then judicious of the vocal harmony is a must. But even when used judiciously, you want the quality of the harmony to be the best possible. That said, you can get pretty good vocal harmony with the S950 and T4 - no doubt about it. But, because I rely heavily on my vocal talents, I want those harmonies to sound fantastic and real - that's why I continue to use the TC Harmony-M along with the S-950. When using this combination, I get the best of both worlds - great sounding harmonies from TC and great effects from the S-950.

I suspect that as things progress, Yamaha will soon go the TC Helicon route with their vocal processors, but this alone would not warrant an update model release. I would think there would be other software advances, and sound engine advances that would be introduced at the same time. As for editing the Audio drums, keep in mind that most players have absolutely no interest whatsoever in modifying styles or voices - they just want the keyboard to sound great OOTB! Of course, everyone has their OWN definition of sounding great OOTB as well.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#386071 - 03/10/14 10:33 AM Re: YAMAHA isn't it time for a New S-Series Arranger . [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Thanks Gary...I see your point.

I doubt if Yamaha will make a VH change on the next PSR, which I believe, is what Donny is being hopeful for...if there will be a new VH (based on Helicon or whatever) we are more likely to see it on the next Tyros as opposed to PSR.

Just my semi-educated guess, anyway.

Ian

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online