SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#386097 - 03/10/14 08:00 PM Re: YAMAHA isn't it time for a New S-Series Arranger . [Re: ianmcnll]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
... and, hopefully some new recorded tunes in the near future.
Ian

In the VERY near future, we hope ... wink keys

#386103 - 03/11/14 01:16 AM Re: YAMAHA isn't it time for a New S-Series Arranger . [Re: Dnj]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
The S series like all arranger keyboards are designed primarily for the home player, (Press a button and everything is done for you) with the pro users hardly showing up on the radar, therefore it’s hardly surprising that a lot of features that pros want are missing.

As Gary says write to Yamaha as manufactures like feedback, but just remember the market it is aimed at.

Bill

#386106 - 03/11/14 05:23 AM Re: YAMAHA isn't it time for a New S-Series Arranger . [Re: tony mads usa]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
... and, hopefully some new recorded tunes in the near future.
Ian

In the VERY near future, we hope ... wink keys

Thank you Tony...hopefully the next few weeks go as planned. I'm in the process of shifting over to a different pension (I'll be 65 this month) so I'm making sure I dot all the "i's" and cross all the "t's" and all the proper paperwork is submitted on time.

I'm really enjoying the positive change in SZ with the increase in user uploads...it's nice to really get to know how the others are doing their music and using their arranger keyboards, and I'd like to contribute some of my own work.

We are lucky to have a common location to share our music and ideas, and it's especially interesting, because we all use different brands and models, so there's never a dull moment.

I hope we see and hear more member's contributions, especially those people we have never heard before, and who appear to have a an excellent knowledge of the instrument, but have been a little reticent in uploading for fear of unfair or impolite criticism.

We all have a musical message to share and it's our different approaches to playing that often provide a new perspective to the others.

I, for one, would like to see more of it.

Ian

#386109 - 03/11/14 07:25 AM Re: YAMAHA isn't it time for a New S-Series Arranger . [Re: abacus]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: abacus
The S series like all arranger keyboards are designed primarily for the home player, (Press a button and everything is done for you) with the pro users hardly showing up on the radar, therefore it’s hardly surprising that a lot of features that pros want are missing.

if that's the case what arranger is geared toward the pro player? pros make these things work for them....there is NO arranger totl/motl today with all the so called "PRO" features, sound & styles out there!....although some come close, at least the S950 is Black cool2 ....
but "workarounds" are "KING" in this game IMO.

#386111 - 03/11/14 08:16 AM Re: YAMAHA isn't it time for a New S-Series Arranger . [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
In reality, many instruments are geared toward home players - including pianos. If a piano were designed for someone that is constantly on the road, it would be made of a lightweight, very strong, space-age fiber so it could easily be moved from one locations to the next, yet still provide the warm sounds of a real piano. However, pianos are more a piece of beautiful furniture, exquisite woodwork, incredible craftmanship, matching bench, and weigh a ton. So, in reality, the arranger keyboard is geared more toward a pro musician than a real piano.

What makes it a pro instrument is the person playing it - not the instrument itself. The arranger's many, many features are rarely used during an actual performance. Lets face it, no one is going to edit a style or voice while performing, they might record part of their performance if they happen to think of it, but in reality, today's arrangers ARE professional instruments and played by professionals. What would make them a home instrument is when they are played by home players. At least that's the way I look at it. Same with guitars, saxes, trumpets, drums, etc...

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#386112 - 03/11/14 08:32 AM Re: YAMAHA isn't it time for a New S-Series Arranger . [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Originally Posted By: abacus

if that's the case what arranger is geared toward the pro player? pros make these things work for them....there is NO arranger totl/motl today with all the so called "PRO" features, sound & styles out there!....although some come close, at least the S950 is Black cool2 ....
but "workarounds" are "KING" in this game IMO.

Donny, it's no different than the "home" organs by Yamaha, Wersi, and to a lesser extent, Hammond. They were designed so that the home player, whether they be beginner or advanced, could make easy use of their many features.

Some choose to use full auto accompaniment while others prefer a more basic approach and use bass pedals and limited support by the instrument's style engine.

Neither method seems to make no difference in the quality of the music produced, as evidenced by the performances seen and heard on YouTube of players from both camps...both approaches have their compliment of great players as well as a balance of beginner or basic players.

The "pros", or people who play for profit (and also of advanced or basic skills) have cleverly taken advantage of the instrument's (organ/arranger) ability to sound like a band, from a jazz trio to a symphony orchestra and have used it to carve out a profitable niche in the music field often known as the "one man band".

A general rule I tend to apply, is that it's not the instrument that defines the abilities of the player, but the player who determines the quality of the music the instrument produces.

I always define a player's abilities by the terms "advanced" or "beginner" as the term "pro" can include players of both levels.

Ian

#386113 - 03/11/14 08:36 AM Re: YAMAHA isn't it time for a New S-Series Arranger . [Re: travlin'easy]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy

What makes it a pro instrument is the person playing it - not the instrument itself.

Spot on, Gary...you and I must have posted at nearly the same time.

There are advanced and basic players in the "pro player" category much the same as in the "home player" family.

Just because someone owns/plays an exclusive/expensive high end instrument doesn't mean that they are automatically an advanced player...in fact, sometimes quite the opposite is true.

Ian

#386123 - 03/11/14 02:39 PM Re: YAMAHA isn't it time for a New S-Series Arranger . [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

isn't there one button push to open the menu On the G70 second button push to transpose?

#386132 - 03/11/14 05:30 PM Re: YAMAHA isn't it time for a New S-Series Arranger . [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Nope...

#386135 - 03/11/14 06:20 PM Re: YAMAHA isn't it time for a New S-Series Arranger . [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Fran explain exactly the procedure for transpose on g70

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online