SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#386074 - 03/10/14 12:37 PM Re: YAMAHA isn't it time for a New S-Series Arranger . [Re: Dnj]
DannyUK Offline

I dunno, I think I agree with Ian here, I'm not sure how much more they can improve the next S series, as with T4 and T5 sounding extremely similar, I fear the next S series will follow a similar pattern. Who knows though, they might finally introduce touch screen? The S series got the first look with Audio Drums, touch screen might be next as a tester. Or maybe just another 25 extra Audio Styles?

I like the idea of Audio styles but as an option, not a replacement especially if they're locked down. Switching between audio and midi drums within same style would be a really cool feature and you also get to keep them. Not sure if that could ever be possible though.

Thing is, if you become attached to those Audio Styles you stand to lose them with each replacement, that is if they don't already feature in the replacement. At the moment it's not too bad as there's only a few but in years to come when Yamaha might incorporate all audio styles, unless people know a way to hack the OS you'll lose those styles you might get attached to.

If the next S series has vocal voices from the T4 then I might consider an upgrade as that's the only weak attribute of the S950 (only my own opinion though), I don't mind losing the 25 audio styles that I don't use anyway, but if the number increases people might be reluctant to upgrade if it remains locked down.

Edited by DannyUK (03/10/14 12:41 PM)

#386075 - 03/10/14 02:38 PM Re: YAMAHA isn't it time for a New S-Series Arranger . [Re: DannyUK]
Dnj Offline

I wish I could delete ALL the audio styles they are useless to me .....that's another attribute that Korg allows you to delete all factory styles and make the KB your own totally.
besides the VH, MFD, Simple things like making indented handles in the body on both side so you can safely grab the S950 when taking it out or putting it back in the case, or on a stand would be a big help, as would a tilt display & front access USB port, on screen OTS display to show what instruments are in each of the 4 buttons in live play,...these design flaws need to be addressed & more. Put a standard 3 prong power cord without a wall wart please. Just sayin'

Edited by Dnj (03/10/14 02:39 PM)

#386079 - 03/10/14 03:34 PM Re: YAMAHA isn't it time for a New S-Series Arranger . [Re: Dnj]
DannyUK Offline

Ah yes I forgot to mention that you're absolutely right it should have at least 2 USB front and back as well as ridding of the silly power supply, it just makes it all look tacky and allowing something else to go wrong with it.

So then,

Touchscreen,
No Audio styles but replace with 100 new midi styles,
Better vocals & choirs,
Front and back USB,
Optional Hard Drive,
Built in power supply.

I would get one tomorrow !!!

#386083 - 03/10/14 04:37 PM Re: YAMAHA isn't it time for a New S-Series Arranger . [Re: DannyUK]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: DannyUK
Ah yes I forgot to mention that you're absolutely right it should have at least 2 USB front and back as well as ridding of the silly power supply, it just makes it all look tacky and allowing something else to go wrong with it.

So then,

Touchscreen,
No Audio styles but replace with 100 new midi styles,
Better vocals & choirs,
Front and back USB,
Optional Hard Drive,
Built in power supply.

I would get one tomorrow !!!

Add "aftertouch" and keyboard close in feel to what we have in the Tyros, and I'd be right behind you in the line-up...ha ha!

Personally, Danny, I think we both lucked out getting the Tyros4...I reckon it's the best all around arranger Yamaha has ever made.

Absolutely nothing on it goes to waste, and not one feature I haven't put to good use.

I wish I could say I planned ending up with the Tyros4 entirely, but, it was just a lucky purchase...right place, right time, right amount of money left in my savings.

I'm now broke, but happy.

Ian

#386084 - 03/10/14 05:45 PM Re: YAMAHA isn't it time for a New S-Series Arranger . [Re: ianmcnll]
DannyUK Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

Personally, Danny, I think we both lucked out getting the Tyros4...I reckon it's the best all around arranger Yamaha has ever made.

I agree with you on this. I tell you how I know this to be true for me. With every keyboard that I've owned in the past there was something about its successor that I really wanted that it got to the point where I had to have it! As much as I really enjoyed the T3 for the two years or so I owned it, the T4 was what I really wanted, the vocals, choirs, ambient styles etc... I don't have anywhere near the same sentiments with the T4's successor, if anything I have already forgotten about it. That's only because the T4 is still everything I ever need in a keyboard and there's nothing on the T5 that grabs me in any way like any of the other successors did. That's not because the T5 is bad, it's more of a testament of how good the T4 still is and will be for many many years.

It would have to take something very special indeed to consider moving away from the T4 and I can't see anything of that description yet. It would have to be a huge difference.

Edited by DannyUK (03/10/14 06:04 PM)

#386087 - 03/10/14 06:10 PM Re: YAMAHA isn't it time for a New S-Series Arranger . [Re: DannyUK]
DannyUK Offline

I hope the next S isn't black though.

#386089 - 03/10/14 06:52 PM Re: YAMAHA isn't it time for a New S-Series Arranger . [Re: Dnj]
KORG80 Offline

If Yamaha saves significant Vocal Harmony improvements for Tyros, I will revert to Korg. I had hoped S950 was going to be my do it all keyboard but the VH2 was apparently an afterthought. I managed to make the S750 work with my Digitech Vocalist 4 and have been happy with that combination.

Recently bought a small Digitech Desktop unit which fits nicely on the keyboard speaker and does midi unlike my my floor pedal V4 which needs to be set to key. This unit gives me onboard harmony capability and the freedom of midi generated harmony. Unfortunately, it is still not the answer as the Yamaha has no dedicated microphone input. This means I can't add equalization to mellow out the treble sound I get when using this unit with my Yamaha.

This Desktop unit works fine with my Korg PA 80 which has a dedicated microphone input. In essence, my quest for the perfect Harmony situation while singing with my keyboards remains ongoing. Hate to add an additional piece of equipment but perhaps a small mixer inputting the harmonizer signal into the Yamaha keyboard might help.

I see Tyros and PAX/3 as home or studio use keyboards. To not put a quality vocal harmonizer into a MOTL arranger two enliven vocal performances by people like Gary, Donny, Don Mason, Tony and myself is a backward step for a quality company like Yamaha.

God Bless,
Don

#386090 - 03/10/14 07:10 PM Re: YAMAHA isn't it time for a New S-Series Arranger . [Re: DannyUK]
Dnj Offline

I hope the next S isn't black though.

Black is why I bought it cool2

#386091 - 03/10/14 07:22 PM Re: YAMAHA isn't it time for a New S-Series Arranger . [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
My advice to all of you that REALLY want all these things is to sit down and write a letter to Yamaha. It's that simple. They are a very responsive company, within reason. However, sitting in front of your PC and bitchin and moanin to the forum will accomplish absolutely nothing whatsoever. Me, I love my S-950 - it's a fantastic arranger keyboard, better than anything I've had in the past and it does EVERYTHING I need it to do and does it well. I packed the dancefloor of a small restaurant tonight, got lots and lots of complements on the music and at the end of the job, everyone said they'll be sure to be back the next time I'm performing there. Can't ask for more than that.

Now, I use the MFD and use it a lot. I've never had a problem with it. The USB slot in the back never really bothered me - EVER. The vocal processor has always done a great job with effects other than vocal harmony, but the S-950s vocal harmonies are more than adequate for the vast majority of the singers I know. Hey, the VH isn't a thing that gets used the often, so it's not a deal breaker.

I don't need handles or indents in the side to life the keyboard out of the case and onto the stand, or vise-versa. I just pick it up - it's not heavy and it's not very wide - what the problem?

Now, the key feel for me is irrelevant. When you're out there every day of the week, even just performing one to two hour jobs, those light keys feel great. I never want that old Underwood typewriter feel on my laptop or desktop keys, and I don't need weighted or semi-weighted keys to play good music.

I have written to Yamaha many times and made suggestions, and for the most part I get good positive responses. Like any successful company they cannot bow to every person's demands, but if you look back at the things people have asked for during the past decade, many of those requests have been met in one form or another. So, instead of sitting there bitchin and moanin, compose that letter and send it to Yamaha. Be careful what you ask for, though. And, keep in mind, none of these things are free - there will be a cost associated with those additional features.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#386095 - 03/10/14 07:38 PM Re: YAMAHA isn't it time for a New S-Series Arranger . [Re: DannyUK]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
[quote=ianmcnll]

It would have to take something very special indeed to consider moving away from the T4 and I can't see anything of that description yet. It would have to be a huge difference.

Yep, I agree entirely. And looking at the competition, nothing else comes close, especially in regards to style and sound quality (those SA/SA2 sounds are unmatched by anything else, in my opinion), so we could be in for the long haul, not a bad idea in any case. wink

I agree about the black cabinet...the silver looks better to me after seeing the black...it may have something to do with the S950 buttons being grayish and hard to see...it's not as bad on the Tyros4 SE (black cabinet model) because the buttons are the same as the regular Tyros4.

Personally, having the Tyros4 for over two years, I can't imagine a better pro arranger keyboard to have under my fingers. It's a long time since I made that kind of statement, Danny, so you can probably sense, that, like you, I won't make any changes for at least past the Tyros5's run, and maybe longer.

Not needing to look at anything else equipment-wise means more quality time with a superb instrument, a well known operating system, and, hopefully some new recorded tunes in the near future.

Ian

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online