SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#385985 - 03/08/14 04:18 PM OT - yet more health issues (neck/nerve issues)
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Well, I have had my first bout of health issues … at only 54, I'd hoped these would wait a while! I'm going to write about it mainly in case anyone else might have ideas/suggestions/experiences to share along these lines.

Without going into great detail, the bottom line (After several doctors, CT scan, MRI, etc.) is that I have a pinched or possibly damaged nerve in my neck, left side, around C7/C8 spine. It's caused me some upper-left (shoulder blade area) pain, plus numbness and weakness in my left hand. And as a keyboard player - I dreaded the possibility of losing some of the good use of that arm/hand!

For me, it's "ulnar" nerve side - that is, affecting "pinkie" and "ring" finger (medically, fingers 4 and 5). And palm on that side of the hand, and some of forearm. I can play keyboard OK (if I get thru the pain) but I have definitely lost some power, accuracy, etc. - and I can't "feel" the keys with those 2 fingers!

Short term treatment is "prednisone" pills to reduce swelling impinging on the nerve, plus starting physical therapy. Luckily, doctor said to keep playing (and using my arm) as long as I don't push it too hard - so that my muscles don't atrophy or get too weak. If this 'therapy' doesn't help, next possibility copy be cortisone (?sp) shots right in the area where the nerve is pinched. Last resort would be surgery but they aren't pushing for that at this time.

Well, that's my "saga" for now …
I''ll appreciate any info anyone may want to share related to this sort of thing …
Thanks,
Jim

#385989 - 03/08/14 06:25 PM Re: OT - yet more health issues (neck/nerve issues) [Re: jimlaing]
zuki Offline

sorry to hear about your condition. I had a couple episodes with 'degenerative' bones. Mine were C-1 - 6. I tried the therapy for 26 weeks, did the awful injection in the neck and finally had the bones removed off the nerves - bingo! I had it on both sides and both surgeries helped. I couldn't stand the constant stabbing. good luck, you do need to get something done.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#385991 - 03/08/14 06:42 PM Re: OT - yet more health issues (neck/nerve issues) [Re: jimlaing]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Jim,
last year, at age 72, I underwent cervical spine surgery. It sounds terrible but In fact was not bad at all. There was no pain - ever - and probably 95 percent of the symptoms are gone. They fused 3 vertebra in my neck. I had numbness and tingling from my elbows down to my finger tips 24/7 and was beginning to lose the ability to do fine tasks with my hands like simply picking up coins. The surgery fixed all that.

If I were in your shoes I would get a second and third if needed opinion. ALL of the doctors I saw said exactly the same thing. With cervical spine issues it is not advised to wait very long before correcting them. The reason being is nerves are being damaged, that if left to long, may NEVER heal themselves even after surgery. The result of this might and could be symptoms that never go away.

By the way, the cortisone shots help in many cases. In my case they did not. I now am dealing with lumbar spine issues and about 8 months ago I got 4 shots 2 in each side of my spine in the lumbar area and that has nearly solved the day-to-day pain issues. By the way, I did them without the anathesia and it all was just fine. Only problem is the shots don't cure anything - just put off the inevitable.

Anyway, thought I would add my experience to your thread. I would do it all over again if necessary and probably will have to.

Deane

#385994 - 03/08/14 10:23 PM Re: OT - yet more health issues (neck/nerve issues) [Re: hammer]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
A few years ago, I injured my knees, and kept walking without seeking medical treatment. I eventually had difficulty walking. I went from doctor to doctor (primary care, orthopedists, etc) without any success in healing. Finally, I decided to go for an acupuncture treatment. I did a lot of research on who I thought would be the best in the area.

To cut to the point, I walked in there on crutches and walked out "carrying" the crutches.

"Alternative medicine" is not something I would dismiss if there is a chance of healing your particular condition.

Mark

#385997 - 03/09/14 01:32 AM Re: OT - yet more health issues (neck/nerve issues) [Re: jimlaing]
Beemer Offline

Loc: Scotland
Hi Jim,

As a fellow sufferer and at 67, I sympathise with your situation. My cervical cord is pinched in three places around C3-C6. I believe was the result of bad gymnastic mat practices in my youth and a car whiplash injury thirty years ago.

Unfortunately I also have Smoldering Myeloma cancer which means that I cannot take non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs as it would affect my kidneys.

My neurosurgeon said that he would not consider operating until I was experiencing limb tingling and restricted capability. I was surprised when he suggested I try acupuncture. I don't have medical insurance so that option might turn out expensive if it has to be done often.

So I live with neck pain and frequent swallowing of paracetamol/codine tablets. It is at its worst when I go to bed and in between bouts of sleep.

I've never heard of prednisone I'm off to Google it.

Keep us informed of your progress hopefully a good one.

Ian

Edited by Beemer (03/09/14 01:33 AM)

#385998 - 03/09/14 01:40 AM Re: OT - yet more health issues (neck/nerve issues) [Re: Beemer]
Beemer Offline

Loc: Scotland
prednisone side effects!

Major:

Increased blood sugar for diabetics
Difficulty controlling emotion
Difficulty in maintaining train of thought
Weight gain
Immunosuppression
Facial swelling. Severe.
Depression, mania, psychosis, or other psychiatric symptoms
Unusual fatigue or weakness
Mental confusion / indecisiveness
Memory and attention dysfunction (Steroid dementia syndrome)
Blurred vision
Abdominal pain
Peptic ulcer
Painful hips or shoulders
Steroid-induced osteoporosis
Stretch marks
Osteonecrosis
Insomnia
Severe joint pain
Cataracts or glaucoma
Anxiety
Black stool
Stomach pain or bloating
Severe swelling
Mouth sores or dry mouth
Avascular necrosis
Hepatic steatosis

Minor

Nervousness
Acne
Skin rash
Appetite gain
Hyperactivity
Increased thirst
Frequent urination
Diarrhea
Reduced intestinal flora
Leg pain/cramps
Sensitive teeth

I think I can live without these!

Ian

#386001 - 03/09/14 05:24 AM Re: OT - yet more health issues (neck/nerve issues) [Re: jimlaing]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Jim, this is one you'll have to play by ear. Realistically, it will never heal - it's not physically possible. Alternative medicine, such as acupuncture can alleviate the pain temporarily, but the end result is you will eventually require surgical intervention to resolve the problem. Don't wait too long and risk permanent damage - and it can happen. I know, I waited too long with my lower back and ended up paralyzed from the waist down for 5 months. The pain was excruciating and I still have problems 40 years later.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#386034 - 03/09/14 08:17 PM Re: OT - yet more health issues (neck/nerve issues) [Re: travlin'easy]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Jim,
What Gary has said is right on target. None of these spine issues go away or can be healed with the drugs or injections. These only put off the surgery that will be needed later. The worst part is if you wait to long then even the surgery can't help cure things.

I'am waiting now to see just how long It will be before I have to undergo lumbar spine surgery. My diagnosis both in my neck and lower back is stenosis.

Deane

#386041 - 03/10/14 04:38 AM Re: OT - yet more health issues (neck/nerve issues) [Re: jimlaing]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I discovered acupuncture late in life. I'm sorry I didn't discover it sooner.

It's clearly not a "heal-all....mend-all" But the way I see it is, you have nothing to lose (except the cost of the visit), and everything to gain.

Of course, if something is clearly broken in the body, that's not going to help. In my case, none of the doctors knew why my knees were not healing...there was no physical damage showing in the MRI. After that one visit to the acupuncturist, he must have affected whatever was blocking my healing. After a few weeks, I was as good as new.

Repeat....if something clearly is not broken, I would try different methods of alternative medicine, including diet and exercise. There are many alternative ways to fix things.....not just acupuncture. The Chinese swear by this kind of stuff.

Mark

#386044 - 03/10/14 05:45 AM Re: OT - yet more health issues (neck/nerve issues) [Re: Mark79100]
muddy Offline

hi jim

I am same age as you and had the same symptoms as you have. Had all the scans and tests over a period of 18 months had a second MRI and it showed a prolapsed disc surgery followed and pain had gone BUT the damage to the nerves takes a long time to recover
a year later I still have numbness in pinky and ring finger don't be afraid of pushing for surgery because I think it was left to long for me.

The surgery sounds servere but I was home within 24 hours

good luck

dave

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online