SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#385946 - 03/07/14 06:03 PM One of the top two country tunes ever
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
This tune http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN50ZU6jVwM
and Friends In Low Places is two of the most musical country tunes ever. If you don't agree you're not a musician you're an entertainer. World of a difference. I love the use of the diminished chord on Friends In Low Places.

#385992 - 03/08/14 06:49 PM Re: One of the top two country tunes ever [Re: brickboo]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
The story is the guy who came up with the song here in Nashville was stuck, needed a rhyme with 'places.' I think that was Dewayne Blackwell. Called a writer friend. That would be Earl Bud Lee. He came up with 'oasis.' Great line! "Think I'll head on down to The Oasis." All those guys were drinkers, lol. I don't know how much more he contributed to the song but he got half a co-write and that song earned them millions, I am sure, it was a humongous smash.

#386078 - 03/10/14 03:15 PM Re: One of the top two country tunes ever [Re: brickboo]
mellow1 Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Pardon me for stating the obvious choice!
I usually am just a part-time lurker but after waiting awhile for this obvious choice (to me) I thought I'd share a little country music info about the Greatest Country Music Song, courtesy of Wikipedia and many other "shit-kickers" around (like me).
From Wiki.:
"You Never Even Called Me by My Name" is most notable for its satirical final verse, preceded by a recitation in which singer David Allen Coe explains that "a friend of mine named Steve Goodman" wrote the song and considered it "the perfect country and western song." However, Coe told him that it was not the perfect country song because it "hadn't said anything at all about mama, or trains, or trucks, or prison, or getting drunk." Goodman then proceeded to add the final verse, incorporating all five of Coe's requirements but completely unrelated to the rest of the song ("I was drunk, the day my Mama got out of prison/And I went out to pick her up in the rain/But, before I could get to the station in the pick-up truck/She got runned over[sic] by a damned ol' train"), whereupon Coe agreed that now it was "the perfect country-and-western song.

Skip

#386082 - 03/10/14 04:16 PM Re: One of the top two country tunes ever [Re: brickboo]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Skip, I don't think you should take that idiot serious, because he doesn't even hint about the "Dog Dying," or a little girl falling down a well, the wife running off with his best friend and he sure misses him, so on and so forth and DonM has thousands more he's the pro here.

#386086 - 03/10/14 06:09 PM Re: One of the top two country tunes ever [Re: brickboo]
mellow1 Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Brickboo,
You are so right. I really wasn't serious; it's just that I've done that song in my past in some real serious dives where the audience knew all the words to that and a couple of Hank Jr. songs. That song always cracked me up and I couldn't resist commenting.

Skip

#386100 - 03/10/14 08:24 PM Re: One of the top two country tunes ever [Re: mellow1]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
This one's for boo ... unfortunately it is 6.10 MB, so I could not embed it in the post ... wink

https://app.box.com/s/rwqh34pmgvfrz4s3kiog

#386105 - 03/11/14 05:08 AM Re: One of the top two country tunes ever [Re: mellow1]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
And the story of "You Never Even Called Me By My Name"...

Songwriters Steve Goodman and John Prine were roomies back in the day, I think this night, they were on the road, staying in a motel. They wrote this song. John Prine said something like "This is the stupidest song ever written, take my name off of it, I don't want to be any part of this nonsense." I guess Goodman took him seriously, because he did just that. And it became an anthem. Years later, Goodman bought Prine a very expensive jukebox, full of records. It cost many thousands of dollars. I guess he did it in jest, so Prine could listen to a lot of songs and pick a hit, lol.

#386360 - 03/14/14 01:47 PM Re: One of the top two country tunes ever [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
If you're doing a m/f duet, I've always loved "You're the Reason God Made Oklahoma" by Shelly West and David Frizzel.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online