SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#385806 - 03/04/14 12:50 PM OT PC problem
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I have been having a problem with my PC shutting down ... also, I tried to read one of the wikifonia files from the link Scott gave us and when I couldn't the Windows site directed me to this page:
http://www.file-docs.com/fileexts.php?keyword=.MXL
has anyone used this RegCure software? ...
thank you

#385811 - 03/04/14 01:26 PM Re: OT PC problem [Re: tony mads usa]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Sometimes a PC will shut down if it overheats...have you checked the fans, Tony?

Ian

#385812 - 03/04/14 01:39 PM Re: OT PC problem [Re: ianmcnll]
tony mads usa Offline

Thanks, Ian ... yes I have ... I had a full diagnostic done on the 'tower' and everything was fine ... when the problem re-occurred, I was told I most likely have to do a full system restore - OS, etc. ... I would like to avoid that and would try this software, but would like to know if anyone knows anything about it ...don't want to add to any problems ...

#385813 - 03/04/14 01:47 PM Re: OT PC problem [Re: tony mads usa]
billyhank Offline

Tony,

He also mentioned you needed the player program for those files, did you download it and install it?

Bill G

#385820 - 03/04/14 04:05 PM Re: OT PC problem [Re: tony mads usa]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
There are many repair programs on the market that may or may not solve the problem, (Most free) just remember to create a restore point before running them. (Two of the most popular are ccleaner and Advanced system care)

As to your problem, then you need to first make sure you have a program that can open these files, (If you already have the program try re-installing it) and then associate the files with the program, you don’t say what OS you have however right click the file and choose open with, then choose the program that is designed to open the files and set it as default for that file type. (You have now associated the file with the program)

As to shutting down, then it is probably a hardware or driver problem, so make sure all your drivers are up to date. (There will become a time when a re-install will be required but it is not as often as some users make out)

Hope this helps

Bill

#385826 - 03/04/14 04:54 PM Re: OT PC problem [Re: abacus]
tony mads usa Offline

billyhank ... yes I did, but I got a message saying Windows couldn't open it ...

Brian ... yes, that's why I was asking for advice ... I did receive advice from a friend of mine who said he would not use it ...

Bill (abacus) the place I had the PC checked out said that they think a Windows OS file may be corrupted ... if I back up my data, they will clean the hard drive and reload Win7 at no charge because I (actually my wife) am a pretty good customer ...

I guess I am going to have to 'bite that bullet' ... it's just that I have a LOT of other programs that I will have to load back in ... frown computer

#385829 - 03/04/14 05:11 PM Re: OT PC problem [Re: tony mads usa]
billyhank Offline

No doubt you've heard this a thousand times, but backing up is the thing that saves your butt.

I do a system backup before I install any new program or update.
Takes less than five minutes.

#385832 - 03/04/14 05:14 PM Re: OT PC problem [Re: billyhank]
tony mads usa Offline

Absolutely ... I have it set automatically on a separate hard drive ... thanks ...

#385837 - 03/04/14 05:38 PM Re: OT PC problem [Re: tony mads usa]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Tony....is it "shutting down" or is it "crashing?" There's a difference. Is there a "pattern" when it goes off?

As other members here have said......."beware of Registry cleaners" (and for a number of reasons).

Don't get sucked into downloading some malware, a virus, a trojan, etc.

Try running the computer in "safe mode" (for as long as you can stand it) and see if it "shuts down" then.

See what's starting up in "msconfig."

Go to Windows Task Manager and see if there's something there that's running that you don't recognize.

And.....check your cables....all of them. Also, go into the computer and "re-seat" everything....almost everything that can move.

I had a problem with the computer shutting down whenever I clicked on my Internet connection. I replaced the telephone wires with brand new ones, and it hasn't crashed since.

I also had a problem with the sound going off. I had to go in and "re-seat" the sound card. That cured THAT problem.

If you thought learning to play a keyboard was hard, try "troubleshooting" a computer crash. I'd rather drink a glass of bleach!

Mark

#385841 - 03/04/14 07:46 PM Re: OT PC problem [Re: Mark79100]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Tony
There are a lot of "Fix-it" software programs being promoted out there...including Fix-My-Pc advertised on TV. It pays to run searches (Google or your choice) on all such programs. Most are not what they appear to be and can do more damage than good. Many are scams that will hold your computer hostage until they drain your wallet.
I know you talk with Gary. He knows all my tools. Give him a shout.
Eddie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online