SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#385711 - 03/03/14 06:44 AM Re: Just for the helluvit ... [Re: Bill Lewis]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
WOW ... thanks for the kind words fellas ... smile

Brian ... thank you ...the first one was painful for me even while I was playing it ... crazy

Col ... that's the highest of compliments ... thank you ...

Mark ... the song is "Blue Bossa", ... the 'improv' starts at about 1 minute in ...
That's my KORG Pa900 ... I like using piano/vibes/guitar in the right hand for the melody line to give it a 'George Shearing' feel ... I've always said, I'm not a jazz player (obviously) but I like playing jazz tunes ...
My chords are simple, as written in the Real Book, and if someone wants to give me some 'substitute' chords, I'm listening ... smile
And Mark, GET PLAYING AGAIN !!!

Steve ... you have some memory ... that was a good number of years ago ... I would say that I have probably played Blue Bossa as my first tune on 99% of my restaurant/Cocktail Hour/CC gigs ... grin

Paul, thank you ... that's quite a compliment coming from a Latin player such as yourself ... actually that's the default tempo of the 'Bossa Nova' style n the Pa900 ...

Donny ... I didn't notice a lack of bass while playing it or on my PC... I'll have to give another listen ...

Bill ... Diana Krall ... 'nuff said ... wink

#385714 - 03/03/14 07:10 AM Re: Just for the helluvit ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
WOW ... thanks for the kind words fellas ... smile
Donny ... I didn't notice a lack of bass while playing it or on my PC... I'll have to give another listen ...

ok let me know I have subs here, ...just sayin wink its a dramatic drop off of bass from a heavy bass intro.
especially between :07 - :34 right after the Intro headphone...
I've taken the opportunity to run it thru one of my programs also with some enhanced EQ's,.. aside from the bass issue,can you hear the difference thruout the song now, try A/B'ing them....? headphone

https://app.box.com/s/7ewdrypzbl6vbrv30qxx

keep em coming Tony!

Edited by Dnj (03/03/14 07:22 AM)

#385717 - 03/03/14 07:19 AM Re: Just for the helluvit ... [Re: tony mads usa]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Tony,

I like this!!!

Beautifully played (love the piano sound) and the style works perfectly.

I also like the way you sneaked in "Masquerade"...very clever. I used to sneak in a bit of "The Summer Knows" in Masquerade.

That combination sound is definitely Shearing-esque...sounds "big" without being obtrusive.

I can hear what Donny meant about the bass...it's there for sure, but the tone is soft...I'm guessing it's an upright bass sound.

Fine stuff, my friend...keep them coming.

Ian

#385718 - 03/03/14 07:19 AM Re: Just for the helluvit ... [Re: tony mads usa]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
WOW!

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#385735 - 03/03/14 09:44 AM Re: Just for the helluvit ... [Re: Mark79100]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: Mark79100
Very nice, Tony...
Two questions...
1) are you improvising or is that a song you're working off of? ...the first 4 measures were very melodic
2) that keyboard sounds great! you're using......? I especially liked at :036 where the break kicked in and the variation started.
That's the kind of keyboard that would get me back to playing again.
Mark

Mark ... here it is ...

Attachments
Blue Bossa.doc (76 downloads)

#385742 - 03/03/14 10:39 AM Re: Just for the helluvit ... [Re: tony mads usa]
tony mads usa Offline

Donny ... thank you ... obviously your 'enhanced' version is fuller sounding ...
I 'dug' into the style a little and found that between the Intro (which was Intro 2 for you KORGies wink ) and Var 1, it isn't the bass that's the difference, as the bass volume remains constant throughout the Intro and all 4 variations, ... the difference is in the drums ... in the intro there is a 'Brush Kit and a 'Standard Perc Kit' ... the Brush Kit has a bass drum going and the Perc Kit has another 'bass sounding' drum (not sure what it is, I didn't dig that deeply) ... those bass drums are not used at all in Var 1, and the Perc doesn't come back until Var 3 ...
It gets very interesting to 'delve' into the styles and see how they perform ...

#385746 - 03/03/14 11:03 AM Re: Just for the helluvit ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Donny ... thank you ... obviously your 'enhanced' version is fuller sounding ...
I 'dug' into the style a little and found that between the Intro (which was Intro 2 for you KORGies wink ) and Var 1, it isn't the bass that's the difference, as the bass volume remains constant throughout the Intro and all 4 variations, ... the difference is in the drums ... in the intro there is a 'Brush Kit and a 'Standard Perc Kit' ... the Brush Kit has a bass drum going and the Perc Kit has another 'bass sounding' drum (not sure what it is, I didn't dig that deeply) ... those bass drums are not used at all in Var 1, and the Perc doesn't come back until Var 3 ...
It gets very interesting to 'delve' into the styles and see how they perform ...

Tony thanx for the info.....thats the kind of stuff players should be delving into to make their songs sound as best they can...its all in there just gotta go digging. I sent you some more info on what I did on my programs to this songs also.

#385778 - 03/04/14 12:47 AM Re: Just for the helluvit ... [Re: tony mads usa]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
.....oh, and before I forget, that last note sounded like part of a demolished or argumentative chord!

Keep 'em coming!

Ian

#385953 - 03/08/14 01:58 AM Re: Just for the helluvit ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Mark ... here it is ...Attachments
Blue Bossa.doc (13 downloads)

Tony......I finally got some time to sit and listen to this song you did. Very, very nice. I didn't realize you were that good. Your jazz sounds fine to me. I didn't notice anything about the lack of bass. And your pick of instruments was supurb!

My only suggestions for any improvement on the tune are to use the "fill in" (break) more to break up the monotony of the rhythm (but that style works really well with the tune).

My other suggestion is....there are certain parts of your "ride" where it got just a tad bit too busy. But.....only "certain parts." I only heard those sections because I was listening close. Most would not even notice.

Otherwise it's one of the songs that also goes into my collection. Just plain very tastily done.

Mark

#385967 - 03/08/14 07:39 AM Re: Just for the helluvit ... [Re: tony mads usa]
tony mads usa Offline

ooopps wrong one

sorry ... I did not mean to post this ... mad blush blush

Nigel ... if you could remove the attachment, I would appreciate it ...

( Did it Tony .. Nigel )

Nigel ... thank you ...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online