SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#385572 - 03/01/14 10:16 AM Re: This is as close as I get to being a jazz singer.. [Re: ianmcnll]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Well, LOL ...I've got some 'history' with this song and others from "My Fair Lady" ... when I was taking accordion lessons, I had to learn a 'book full' of "MFL" songs, and I never really liked any of them ... so now anytime I hear one, I still sort of cringe, and it's not because of the renditions posted here ... grin

As Gary said, it's not jazz, but if you WANT to hear a jazz version - the lighting is terrible, but it's all about the music:

Originally Posted By: DonM

You know, you can get by with faking a song on the job sometimes. A person wants to hear "his" song. If you can play enough of it, such as the signature riff and sing a chorus, he'll hear that and most often be satisfied and go back to drinking, eating and talking.

ABSOLUTELY !!! ...I have a friend who did not like the song "Memory" from "CATS", but there was a customer in the place he played for a while who requested it every week ... he would play the first chorus twice through, never play the bridge, and give it a big ending and the woman LOVED it ...

#385594 - 03/01/14 04:21 PM Re: This is as close as I get to being a jazz singer.. [Re: tony mads usa]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I have a friend, Bill, who also was the local Coke bottler and the owner of the hotel I played. He is a major drunk, who occupies his own booth when he shows up; usually 3 times a week.

As he staggers t his booth, he says, "play my song", as he lays a $100.00 bill on my piano.

Now, the song is "Moonlight in Vermont", and I loved it each of the 104,000 time I have played it previously.

Now, when Bill comes back and asks where his song is, I tell him I played it as soon as he got to the lounge.

He thanks me profusely.

I figure he's tipped me $5900 is the last three years and I've only played that damn song once (LOL)!

Russ

Ah, drunks. Ya gotta love em. Especially the rich ones.

#385595 - 03/01/14 04:27 PM Re: This is as close as I get to being a jazz singer.. [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
One of the major benefits of performing the NH circuit is I no longer have to put up with drunks, rich or poor. The rich ones were the worst, most offensive, and more often than not, the lousiest tippers. Go figure. smile

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#385596 - 03/01/14 04:29 PM Re: This is as close as I get to being a jazz singer.. [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

I hate drunks! male or female,mad & I've played thousands of gigs in bars, clubs, etc, in my years on stage seen too many of them..Grrrrrrr,....always did, always will,...all I can hope for is when they get in their vehicle & drive home is that they get stopped, and thrown in jail for DWI before they kill someone.

Edited by Dnj (03/01/14 04:31 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online