SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#384083 - 02/08/14 07:48 AM Re: Another blow for live music [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Millions watch these shows for a reason, ...

Yup ... they're TOLD to like them ... and they follow like sheep. The media is not our ally. (alli?) They create millions of viewers who forget how to think. I agree .... turn the channel, but I would love to see some character in broadcasting. There is so little. Good shows, with thoughtful content and clever stories get cancelled because they can't keep the "Jerry Springer" mentality happy. I know I'm ranting, but I stick to my statement. MOST of TV shows are not worth my time, and they are a pollutant to the minds of everyone who gets sucked into the sensationalism. Thank God Diki isn't able to join this post.

#384088 - 02/08/14 09:02 AM Re: Another blow for live music [Re: Uncle Dave]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
Yup ... they're TOLD to like them ... and they follow like sheep. The media is not our ally. (alli?) They create millions of viewers who forget how to think. I agree .... turn the channel, but I would love to see some character in broadcasting. There is so little. Good shows, with thoughtful content and clever stories get cancelled because they can't keep the "Jerry Springer" mentality happy. I know I'm ranting, but I stick to my statement. MOST of TV shows are not worth my time, and they are a pollutant to the minds of everyone who gets sucked into the sensationalism.

Thank God Diki isn't able to join this post.

But luckily for you, I am smile smile. For the second time in maybe 10 years, I actually agree with DNJ (well, except for the MOB Wives part). For someone who doesn't like Diki's sometimes judgemental approach to things, you do a pretty good job of imitating it. We just can't seem to wrap our heads around the fact that all this stuff is SUBJECTIVE and what's right for you doesn't need to represent the bar. Why on earth should I accept that what YOU like and think the public should ONLY have access to is the way things should be. That's the same mentality that's going to force democracy down the throats of every nation in the world, whether they want it or not. The same mentality that has so-called 'missionaries' spreading the word through bad music blasted through 18" sub-woofers (how do YOU like people driving through YOUR neighborhood with boomboxes blasting on a peaceful Sunday morning?).

The world is rife with people who think they know what's better for you than YOU do. So Dave, if you look in the mirror one day and see Diki staring back at you, don't be too shocked smile smile.

Dig what I'm sayin'?

chas

#384089 - 02/08/14 09:10 AM Re: Another blow for live music [Re: big741.1]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: big741.1
I too am very close to turfing the TV set.

Turfed my cable TV many years ago...still have the old TV for video games and and playing DVD's...I honestly do not miss it, and I found I accomplished a lot more in my day, and, usually it was fun stuff I had let slide away over the years.

I think they should have a reality show about those in this country on unemployment insurance, or pogey, as we used to call it.

They could call it "The Canadian Idle". wink

Ian

#384090 - 02/08/14 09:11 AM Re: Another blow for live music [Re: Jerryghr]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
My favorite shows are Duck Dynasty and Big Bang Theory.
Blast away Jack, I can take it!
Rumor going around is that Uncle Dave secretly watches Honey Boo-Boo and Dance Moms.

#384099 - 02/08/14 09:38 AM Re: Another blow for live music [Re: ianmcnll]
big741.1 Offline

Loc: Edmonton,Canada
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Originally Posted By: big741.1
I too am very close to turfing the TV set.

Turfed my cable TV many years ago...still have the old TV for video games and and playing DVD's...I honestly do not miss it, and I found I accomplished a lot more in my day, and, usually it was fun stuff I had let slide away over the years.

I think they should have a reality show about those in this country on unemployment insurance, or pogey, as we used to call it.

They could call it "The Canadian Idle". wink

Ian

I admire your courage, Ian. I haven't quite been able to bring myself to do it, but I'm getting closer and closer as I get older and find less and less of the programming appealing to me.

Send your Idle Canadians here. There's tons of work at the moment.

Dan

#384100 - 02/08/14 10:02 AM Re: Another blow for live music [Re: Jerryghr]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
When the warmer weather arrives, which this year, can't be too soon, the TV is abandoned for the sailboat. Yes, I do have a flat-screen 21-inch TV on the boat, which allows me to watch a movie or something else while anchored in some quiet cove. But there are times when the TV just doesn't get turned on. Instead, I just mix a tall Margaretta and watch the sun go down over Chesapeake Bay. Pretty soon, it's pitch black outside, the stars shine brightly and I just relax to the sounds of sea birds stalking through the adjacent tidal marshlands. Sometimes, on a really clear summer night, I spot a satellite or two zipping across the sky. It's amazing how fast those things move and never seem to hit anything.

This time of year, though, I get to watch shows like Pawn Stars, Swamp People, and when I can find it, Cheers, which was always one of my favs. Nealy all my music jobs are in the middle of the day, so nearly every evening is free. It's nice to eat supper at home with my wife instead of stopping at a fast food joint on the way to a nite club job, which is the way things were two decades ago.

As for good TV shows, I guess it's in the eye and minds of the beholders. I really miss Mash, Barney Miller, Night Court, Cheers, All In The Family, etc... Guess I'm really old and gettin sentimental. wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#384103 - 02/08/14 10:28 AM Re: Another blow for live music [Re: Jerryghr]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I use my PC to watch the few shows I used to like...quite a few episodes are available on YouTube...I liked the old comedy shows like Hogan's Heroes, Taxi, The Beverly Hillbillies, and about 20-30 minutes or less is all I can take...Mrs Brown's Boys is one of my more recent favorites.

As I get older, I find can't make a commitment to watch a movie, unless it's a really great action flick or comedy.

I never watch those heavy drama tear jerker type films...just not for me....I like to be happily entertained if I'm going to invest any precious time in a movie.

I never liked those Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee movies, even though I had quite a few years in the Martial Arts....strange, eh?

But that's me...different strokes.

I'm not into sports as a spectator...I played hockey, baseball, soccer, lacrosse, rugby, when I was younger, and thoroughly enjoyed it,. but I get no kick out of watching someone else play.

The only stuff I enjoy watching as a spectator would be people playing music live.

Thankfully there are lots of live music performances/concerts on YouTube.

Ian

#384106 - 02/08/14 11:00 AM Re: Another blow for live music [Re: Jerryghr]
Uncle Dave Offline

I know, I know .. I get passionate when I see such rampant stupidity thrown at us by the media. Of course, that rant was all my own opinions, but geeze ... "Reality?" give me a break.
smile
Going back to practicing my guitar so I sound Sweeeeeeet on Valentines Day.

#384172 - 02/09/14 08:20 AM Re: Another blow for live music [Re: cgiles]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By: cgiles
Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
Yup ... they're TOLD to like them ... and they follow like sheep. The media is not our ally. (alli?) They create millions of viewers who forget how to think. I agree .... turn the channel, but I would love to see some character in broadcasting. There is so little. Good shows, with thoughtful content and clever stories get cancelled because they can't keep the "Jerry Springer" mentality happy. I know I'm ranting, but I stick to my statement. MOST of TV shows are not worth my time, and they are a pollutant to the minds of everyone who gets sucked into the sensationalism.

Thank God Diki isn't able to join this post.

But luckily for you, I am smile smile. For the second time in maybe 10 years, I actually agree with DNJ (well, except for the MOB Wives part). For someone who doesn't like Diki's sometimes judgemental approach to things, you do a pretty good job of imitating it. We just can't seem to wrap our heads around the fact that all this stuff is SUBJECTIVE and what's right for you doesn't need to represent the bar. Why on earth should I accept that what YOU like and think the public should ONLY have access to is the way things should be. That's the same mentality that's going to force democracy down the throats of every nation in the world, whether they want it or not. The same mentality that has so-called 'missionaries' spreading the word through bad music blasted through 18" sub-woofers (how do YOU like people driving through YOUR neighborhood with boomboxes blasting on a peaceful Sunday morning?).

The world is rife with people who think they know what's better for you than YOU do. So Dave, if you look in the mirror one day and see Diki staring back at you, don't be too shocked smile smile.

Dig what I'm sayin'?

chas

Chas,
Thanx for slapping me back to my senses. That post was way out of line. I sometimes forget that I am the "odd duck" more often than not, and while my intentions are good, my view is not always conventional. I've marched to that different (digital) drummer my whole life, and it's nice that friends here at the ZONE can stay in our corners, even when we slip and let the mouth run before the brain is engaged.
My apologies to anyone who feels attacked by my post - I fully understand that if I were in charge of TV programming ... the world would read more. So, with THAT said ... keep those comments and critiques comin' folks ... I need the reminder, sometimes.

On to happier topics ... like Valentines Day - I have 4 beautiful daughters, 2 sisters and still have my Mom in great health - This week is gonna rock.
<3

#384173 - 02/09/14 08:52 AM Re: Another blow for live music [Re: Jerryghr]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
No sisters, no daughter, no mom. frown
Got a great wife though. smile

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online