Another blow for live music

Posted by: Jerryghr

Another blow for live music - 02/05/14 01:11 PM

Dancing with the stars to replace live band with recordings.

http://parade.condenast.com/260238/erinh...er_201402051537

Jerryghr
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/05/14 01:42 PM

According to trade reports, DWTS producers will replace the band with sound recordings and a “small electric band” to “attract a younger demographic.

I'm sure a lot of 20 somethings will now run to their TVs to watch DWTS ... what BS ... all about the $$$$$ mad
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/05/14 01:51 PM

Did you vote? 92 percent are against sacking the band!

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/05/14 02:17 PM

missed that the first time ... just did it - not that it will matter ... the REALLY sad part is that most of the viewing public - maybe even 92% - won't even realize it ...
Posted by: DonM

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/05/14 02:18 PM

This percent doesn't care, because I have never watched it! smile
Posted by: Diki

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/05/14 03:04 PM

When do we all wake up to the fact that we are at WAR with corporate America?

We are a highly disposable liability to them, not valued employees. In fact, the entire concept of 'valued employees' has gone completely out the window.

50 years of organized labor, the ONLY counterbalance to unbridled greed from corporations, has been swept away in the last 20 years or so.

And I bet half of us have drunk the Fox Kool-Aid and actually THINK that 'deregulation' is a GOOD thing! You know why those regulations they all hate got written in the first place? To PROTECT us from greedy banks and corporations. Deregulation sure helped THEM, didn't it?! Think it's doing you any good..?

What is it going to take for America to wake up from this nightmare?
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/05/14 03:41 PM

All is not lost yet, I look at it this way, ...musicians have to create and record the recorded music they will use also in studio. It's just a rearrangement of skills. Close your eyes and go thru the TV channels,.....hear it? headphone ....
MUSIC, MUSIC, MUSIC, & EFX, backing every show, Movie, Series, commercial, etc, etc, who do you think is creating that?As technology advances so does every thing people do in the world including the music industry. Out with the old in with the new.
Its just that wee the last of a generation to have both old & new in our lives....I know 30 yrs from now I prob wont be around to experience it, but man it's gonna be exciting whats gonna be happening in Music in the future,... keys
I find it exciting !! cool2

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/05/14 03:46 PM

One guy with a loop library, or even libraries of pre-done tracks... Very little of what you hear on TV is custom recorded for that specific show. It's all licensed libraries nowadays.

They are slashing their production costs. For what? Is the show going broke? Hell no!

Greed, pure and simple.

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/05/14 03:48 PM

Like any business these days ...
less spent = more $$$$ in the pocket!

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/05/14 03:51 PM

Who's pocket, though..? Sure ain't ours!

I guess that's what's weird about America. No-one thinks THEY are working class. Everybody thinks and votes as if they were upper management, corporate executives and bank presidents!

Truth is, virtually NO-ONE is... But we love to vote for their ideals!

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/05/14 03:53 PM

Its called AMERICA you can be whatever you want...its YOUR Choice!

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/05/14 04:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Diki
When do we all wake up to the fact that we are at WAR with corporate America?
We are a highly disposable liability to them, not valued employees. In fact, the entire concept of 'valued employees' has gone completely out the window.
50 years of organized labor, the ONLY counterbalance to unbridled greed from corporations, has been swept away in the last 20 years or so.
And I bet half of us have drunk the Fox Kool-Aid and actually THINK that 'deregulation' is a GOOD thing! You know why those regulations they all hate got written in the first place? To PROTECT us from greedy banks and corporations. Deregulation sure helped THEM, didn't it?! Think it's doing you any good..?
What is it going to take for America to wake up from this nightmare?

Diki ... NOTHING can be properly painted with a broad stroke ... there still ARE companies that value their employees - I worked for one for 40 years - ... and as far as unions go, there are still some doing some good but unfortunately many have priced their members out of jobs in various ways ... and here in RI the State employees unions just about hold us hostage to their demands ...

There is both good and bad in EVERYTHING ... how many here have 401k and pension plans??? what keeps them going? - stocks in corporate America, that's what ...

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/05/14 05:26 PM

Unions didn't price their workers out of jobs... greedy corporations bought enough politicians to get them to allow them to offshore production, but still be allowed to charge full market price in the American markets.

Look at the garment industry. In the 70's, the majority of clothes worn by Americans were MADE by Americans, in America. Since NAFTA, the industry has basically collapsed, and 90%+ of all the clothes worn by Americans are made by wage slaves in other countries. Once upon a time, there used to be trade tariff's, to allow American workers to compete with overseas workers while still living in the MUCH more expensive USA.

Largely gone...

Unions didn't price them out of a job. Their livelihoods were sold out from under them in the name of corporate profits.

Wage inequality is the biggest pressing problem facing us, these days. No country is as armed and volatile as we are, if you discount some African lawless areas. Sooner or later, we wake up to how we have had our futures sold out from under us by greedy corporations, and we are living harder lives with less prospects than our grandparents. And what do we do? The laws limiting corporate influence in Washington have all been gutted, and unions have had their power stripped from them by 30 years of political skulduggery.

Look at how many BILLIONS are spent on political process these days. You think that's affordable by some Wal-Mart worker paid so poorly they work 40hrs a week and still fall under the poverty line? Politics has been sold to the wealthy, and they control the news (or what passes for 'news' these days), education budgets (plenty of studies show, the dumber you are, the more you are likely to vote for measures that actually HURT you, like tax cuts for the rich!), and the laws that protect them from punishment when their wild gambling on futures and bubble stocks destroy our future...

The mad thing about the whole issue is, ask any Tea Party nut about when they thought this country WAS great, they'll tell you the 60's and 70's... But those are the years when regulation of corporations was at its highest, when tarrifs protected their jobs, when their unions were allowed to negotiate with management with enough clout to not be a straw puppet. Taxes were higher, immigration was freer, and there were STRINGENT regulations preventing corporate money from corrupting politics.

They remember them as great because that was the last time the middle class got wealthier at about the same pace as the rich (and poor). A rising tide is supposed to lift ALL boats. Since then money has influenced politics to the point of absurdity (corporations have the same rights as PEOPLE? The day they kill one for murdering someone will be the day that is true!), and we have witnessed the largest migration of money from the poor and middle class to the ultra wealthy in this nation's history (the Wal-Mart heirs make the Carnegies look like po' folk!), and we are all still sitting around going how GREAT it all is.

You can find exceptions to any generality... Sure, there's the odd good employer. Heck, there are some very generous drug dealers, and Hitler liked Eva Braun! But there's no denying this shift in the wealth and power base in America.

Unless you only watch Fox, LOL
Posted by: spalding1968

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/06/14 01:21 AM

Oh for goodness sake! This post has gone so far slanted it's ridiculous. The TV company wanted to appeal to a younger demographic. According to the news report when the orchestra tried to play top 40 songs they just didn't sound right . Literally all that was required is to add one Synth workstation to produce a more modern sound to supplement the orchestra not replace it.

The requirement for fully orchestrated pieces with live music may still exist. But we will only know by the reactions of the people that watch the show. And if they are satisfied with what they see and hear, then why should any business employ extra staff at extra cost for no extra benefit ?

How many of you guys would take an18 piece band to a gig that requires only five pieces and split your fee amongst the other 13 just to keep them in a job?

This isn't a case of nasty corporations trying to screw people out of jobs it's simply a case of economics, the same economics that you and I use every single day in our business decisions.
Posted by: Bill Lewis

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/06/14 06:56 AM

Getting back to the subject line. Here in south NJ another small club got a visit from the BMI/ASCAP police. Pay $1200 a year or you can't have live music. Or even put on the radio ! The live music there, like most places down here is DJ's or Kareoke/Guitarists. And the place they went after is called the "Villas Fishing Club" Great place to target ???
Last year is was an upscale restaurant between towns call the BLue Claw which had a piano player in one of its dining rooms.
Why these certain places I don't know but it another blow against "Live" music.

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/06/14 07:22 AM

It's the same called GEMA in Germany. Every restaurant etc. has to pay contributions in order to be allowed to play CDs or have live music with cover songs. But songs composed by yourself are free of course. But ADDITIONALLY, there is a compulsary old age insurance for musicians, which applies for the VENUES even if a musician only plays there ONCE. Crazy! These things destroy live music.

BTW, I even got a copyright note from BMI for my Roland-Integra version of a Johann Strauss waltz on Youtube, although it's public domain since the composer has been long dead; I objected and the claim was eliminated.

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/06/14 03:55 PM

Much copyright protection is done by automated programs, these days, due to the sheer scale of the issue. Hardly surprising when they mess up a bit. Trust me on this one, I worked for a few years for one of the first companies doing DMCA takedowns and copyright infringement notification.

BTW, the comparison between one of US taking an 18 piece orchestra on a gig and a multi-million dollar earning show axing their entire orchestra when all that was needed was to get a hipper keyboard player in is utterly absurd!
Posted by: spalding1968

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/07/14 07:40 AM

But not nearly as absurd as
1 ) a musician living in a capitalist country and benefiting from the capitalist economy,
2 ) and leveraging their skills and labour for remuneration as a keyboard player ,that plays an instrument which in effect replaces an entire orchestra ,
3) and then criticising a corporation for hiring a musician just like this to replacement the orchestra !
Posted by: Songman55

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/07/14 08:33 AM

You have to pay ASCAP and BMI for recorded music as well as live music.
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/07/14 09:08 AM

Absolutely! Most people think music in an elevator is free - it's not! Someone has to pay for that music.

Gary cool
Posted by: Jerryghr

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/07/14 09:53 AM

They had to eliminate the elevator operators job to pay for the music.

Jerryghr
Posted by: Bill Lewis

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/07/14 01:08 PM

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Absolutely! Most people think music in an elevator is free - it's not! Someone has to pay for that music.

Gary cool

Heres the real question. After they collect those fees how is it distributed and how much to they take "off the top" How many place don't have music anymore because of stuff like this? Gary don't look now but I think thye're coming in the back door of some of your NH's. LOL!
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/07/14 03:01 PM

You're right. Technically, ASCAP or BMI could walk into a nursing home and cause trouble if one of us is playing copyrighted material.

Several years ago, they targeted professional offices using radio feeds. I was at the consumer Electronics Show the year they made all exhibitors of any equipement used to demo with pre-recorded music pay a fee.

And as far as how they figure distribution? That's the mystery of the century.

I've dealt with these guys for years. They are straight gangsters...at least the guys in the field are.

There's got to be a better way of compensating the creatives in the business.

Russ

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/07/14 03:10 PM

But usually the venue, i.e. the nursing home / restaurant etc. is the responsible organizer of the event, so it is up to the nursing home to pay the copyright contributions and not the player's reaponsibility. At least I know it that way from the German GEMA (equivalent to BMI etc.). And if it is a private event (only for nursing home residents), no GEMA restriction applies.

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/07/14 04:26 PM

Yes, the venue pays, but, often decides to stop live performances because of the cost and hassle.

R.

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/07/14 04:48 PM

For some reason, and I don't know why, I believe the Nursing Homes, etc..., are exempt - but I'm not sure why or if it's true. I think it has something to do with a federal mandate.

Cheers,

Gary cool
Posted by: brickboo

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/07/14 08:15 PM

It looks like it's world wide, and a constant flow of money forever, I wonder if the illuminati runs that organization too.
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/08/14 07:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Jerryghr

Jerryghr

Reality TV itself, is a blow to all entertainment, and entertainers. It dumbs down the watcher, and chisels away at the validity of entertainment, in general. American Idol, Survivor, these dance farces ... all Hollywood fakes posing as reality. I'm so close to getting rid of network TV altogether. I'd be so happy if these fluffy pieces of nothing just dried up and went away. And Donny - please don't tell me how much $$$ they generate. I know the drill. It's still a waste of bandwidth and time.
Posted by: big741.1

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/08/14 07:28 AM

I too am very close to turfing the TV set.

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/08/14 07:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
Originally Posted By: Jerryghr

Jerryghr

Reality TV itself, is a blow to all entertainment, and entertainers. It dumbs down the watcher, and chisels away at the validity of entertainment, in general. American Idol, Survivor, these dance farces ... all Hollywood fakes posing as reality. I'm so close to getting rid of network TV altogether. I'd be so happy if these fluffy pieces of nothing just dried up and went away. And Donny - please don't tell me how much $$$ they generate. I know the drill. It's still a waste of bandwidth and time.

Think of all the people that will be without jobs if there is no more reality shows?....as always Dave that's why we have a channel changer if someone doesn't like a certain show no one is forcing anyone to watch it right? You love Broadway plays,..... many people don't, so what? we have choices,.. there's enough reality in this world for everyone to enjoy or not. Millions watch these shows for a reason, ...they enjoy them, so who is to say otherwise money generated profits or not?. I know many people that doint have network TV and switched to alternatives like
Roku Box, etc,... http://www.roku.com/
personally I like to have it all to browse and choose as I please. Ok now Im gonna go watch my recorded Mob Wives with a hot cup of coffee,....I missed it as I was at a gig.. wink

http://www.vh1.com/shows/mob_wives/season_1/series.jhtml

l8tr buddy

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/08/14 07:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Millions watch these shows for a reason, ...

Yup ... they're TOLD to like them ... and they follow like sheep. The media is not our ally. (alli?) They create millions of viewers who forget how to think. I agree .... turn the channel, but I would love to see some character in broadcasting. There is so little. Good shows, with thoughtful content and clever stories get cancelled because they can't keep the "Jerry Springer" mentality happy. I know I'm ranting, but I stick to my statement. MOST of TV shows are not worth my time, and they are a pollutant to the minds of everyone who gets sucked into the sensationalism. Thank God Diki isn't able to join this post.
Posted by: cgiles

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/08/14 09:02 AM

Yup ... they're TOLD to like them ... and they follow like sheep. The media is not our ally. (alli?) They create millions of viewers who forget how to think. I agree .... turn the channel, but I would love to see some character in broadcasting. There is so little. Good shows, with thoughtful content and clever stories get cancelled because they can't keep the "Jerry Springer" mentality happy. I know I'm ranting, but I stick to my statement. MOST of TV shows are not worth my time, and they are a pollutant to the minds of everyone who gets sucked into the sensationalism.

Thank God Diki isn't able to join this post.

But luckily for you, I am smile smile. For the second time in maybe 10 years, I actually agree with DNJ (well, except for the MOB Wives part). For someone who doesn't like Diki's sometimes judgemental approach to things, you do a pretty good job of imitating it. We just can't seem to wrap our heads around the fact that all this stuff is SUBJECTIVE and what's right for you doesn't need to represent the bar. Why on earth should I accept that what YOU like and think the public should ONLY have access to is the way things should be. That's the same mentality that's going to force democracy down the throats of every nation in the world, whether they want it or not. The same mentality that has so-called 'missionaries' spreading the word through bad music blasted through 18" sub-woofers (how do YOU like people driving through YOUR neighborhood with boomboxes blasting on a peaceful Sunday morning?).

The world is rife with people who think they know what's better for you than YOU do. So Dave, if you look in the mirror one day and see Diki staring back at you, don't be too shocked smile smile.

Dig what I'm sayin'?

chas
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/08/14 09:10 AM

Originally Posted By: big741.1

Turfed my cable TV many years ago...still have the old TV for video games and and playing DVD's...I honestly do not miss it, and I found I accomplished a lot more in my day, and, usually it was fun stuff I had let slide away over the years.

I think they should have a reality show about those in this country on unemployment insurance, or pogey, as we used to call it.

They could call it "The Canadian Idle". wink

Ian

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/08/14 09:11 AM

My favorite shows are Duck Dynasty and Big Bang Theory.
Blast away Jack, I can take it!
Rumor going around is that Uncle Dave secretly watches Honey Boo-Boo and Dance Moms.
Posted by: big741.1

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/08/14 09:38 AM

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Originally Posted By: big741.1

Turfed my cable TV many years ago...still have the old TV for video games and and playing DVD's...I honestly do not miss it, and I found I accomplished a lot more in my day, and, usually it was fun stuff I had let slide away over the years.

I think they should have a reality show about those in this country on unemployment insurance, or pogey, as we used to call it.

They could call it "The Canadian Idle". wink

Ian

I admire your courage, Ian. I haven't quite been able to bring myself to do it, but I'm getting closer and closer as I get older and find less and less of the programming appealing to me.

Send your Idle Canadians here. There's tons of work at the moment.

Dan

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/08/14 10:02 AM

When the warmer weather arrives, which this year, can't be too soon, the TV is abandoned for the sailboat. Yes, I do have a flat-screen 21-inch TV on the boat, which allows me to watch a movie or something else while anchored in some quiet cove. But there are times when the TV just doesn't get turned on. Instead, I just mix a tall Margaretta and watch the sun go down over Chesapeake Bay. Pretty soon, it's pitch black outside, the stars shine brightly and I just relax to the sounds of sea birds stalking through the adjacent tidal marshlands. Sometimes, on a really clear summer night, I spot a satellite or two zipping across the sky. It's amazing how fast those things move and never seem to hit anything.

This time of year, though, I get to watch shows like Pawn Stars, Swamp People, and when I can find it, Cheers, which was always one of my favs. Nealy all my music jobs are in the middle of the day, so nearly every evening is free. It's nice to eat supper at home with my wife instead of stopping at a fast food joint on the way to a nite club job, which is the way things were two decades ago.

As for good TV shows, I guess it's in the eye and minds of the beholders. I really miss Mash, Barney Miller, Night Court, Cheers, All In The Family, etc... Guess I'm really old and gettin sentimental. wink

Gary cool
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/08/14 10:28 AM

I use my PC to watch the few shows I used to like...quite a few episodes are available on YouTube...I liked the old comedy shows like Hogan's Heroes, Taxi, The Beverly Hillbillies, and about 20-30 minutes or less is all I can take...Mrs Brown's Boys is one of my more recent favorites.

As I get older, I find can't make a commitment to watch a movie, unless it's a really great action flick or comedy.

I never watch those heavy drama tear jerker type films...just not for me....I like to be happily entertained if I'm going to invest any precious time in a movie.

I never liked those Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee movies, even though I had quite a few years in the Martial Arts....strange, eh?

But that's me...different strokes.

I'm not into sports as a spectator...I played hockey, baseball, soccer, lacrosse, rugby, when I was younger, and thoroughly enjoyed it,. but I get no kick out of watching someone else play.

The only stuff I enjoy watching as a spectator would be people playing music live.

Thankfully there are lots of live music performances/concerts on YouTube.

Ian

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/08/14 11:00 AM

I know, I know .. I get passionate when I see such rampant stupidity thrown at us by the media. Of course, that rant was all my own opinions, but geeze ... "Reality?" give me a break.
smile
Going back to practicing my guitar so I sound Sweeeeeeet on Valentines Day.

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/09/14 08:20 AM

Originally Posted By: cgiles
Yup ... they're TOLD to like them ... and they follow like sheep. The media is not our ally. (alli?) They create millions of viewers who forget how to think. I agree .... turn the channel, but I would love to see some character in broadcasting. There is so little. Good shows, with thoughtful content and clever stories get cancelled because they can't keep the "Jerry Springer" mentality happy. I know I'm ranting, but I stick to my statement. MOST of TV shows are not worth my time, and they are a pollutant to the minds of everyone who gets sucked into the sensationalism.

Thank God Diki isn't able to join this post.

But luckily for you, I am smile smile. For the second time in maybe 10 years, I actually agree with DNJ (well, except for the MOB Wives part). For someone who doesn't like Diki's sometimes judgemental approach to things, you do a pretty good job of imitating it. We just can't seem to wrap our heads around the fact that all this stuff is SUBJECTIVE and what's right for you doesn't need to represent the bar. Why on earth should I accept that what YOU like and think the public should ONLY have access to is the way things should be. That's the same mentality that's going to force democracy down the throats of every nation in the world, whether they want it or not. The same mentality that has so-called 'missionaries' spreading the word through bad music blasted through 18" sub-woofers (how do YOU like people driving through YOUR neighborhood with boomboxes blasting on a peaceful Sunday morning?).

The world is rife with people who think they know what's better for you than YOU do. So Dave, if you look in the mirror one day and see Diki staring back at you, don't be too shocked smile smile.

Dig what I'm sayin'?

chas

Chas,
Thanx for slapping me back to my senses. That post was way out of line. I sometimes forget that I am the "odd duck" more often than not, and while my intentions are good, my view is not always conventional. I've marched to that different (digital) drummer my whole life, and it's nice that friends here at the ZONE can stay in our corners, even when we slip and let the mouth run before the brain is engaged.
My apologies to anyone who feels attacked by my post - I fully understand that if I were in charge of TV programming ... the world would read more. So, with THAT said ... keep those comments and critiques comin' folks ... I need the reminder, sometimes.

On to happier topics ... like Valentines Day - I have 4 beautiful daughters, 2 sisters and still have my Mom in great health - This week is gonna rock.
<3

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/09/14 08:52 AM

No sisters, no daughter, no mom. frown
Got a great wife though. smile
Posted by: cgiles

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/09/14 09:36 AM

Dave, what the...., if you're really Diki you're supposed to come back with guns blazing smile smile. If I'd known you were going to be so .....gentlemanly about it, I probably would have been less 'preachy' in MY post smile. Sorry. Donny being on the right side of an issue probably threw me off my game smile smile. Anyhoo, lesson learned on both ends. Oh, and Donny and Diki, if you're reading this, just having a little fun with both of you - no malicious intent.

chas
Posted by: billyhank

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/09/14 09:43 AM

Well I miss Uncle Milty, Carol and Deano.

That was real TV.

Bill G

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/09/14 04:43 PM

Originally Posted By: cgiles
Dave, what the.... you're supposed to come back with guns blazing smile

smile Naw ... nothing good could come of that. I forget sometimes, and I'm glad for the reminder. No harm done. I wanna play nice.
Posted by: sparky589

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/13/14 12:58 PM

You gotta ride the wave till it's gone. I'll still keep playing until I don't want to , nobody wants to hear it, or nobody wants to pay me for it. Or some combination thereof. I won't make it any more complicated than that or turn it into a political grandstand.

Re: Another blow for live music - 02/14/14 08:53 AM

Sparky, I'm with you 100%. I even agree with your tagline (LOL)!

Just PLAY, dammit! It's not really complicated!

Russ