SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#383678 - 02/03/14 06:15 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Oh, no thank you very much ... my brain would explode, and the actual probability of me ever sitting down to PLAY pedals is almost non-existent. In fact, I really don't want to. I do, however, love to play the bass lines with my left hand as much as possible - makes for a tighter, more personal arrangement, and the bass and piano always sit in the same pocket. Sweeeeet.

#383682 - 02/03/14 06:51 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I do a lot of reggae by playing the bassline with the RH while the LH is usually just doing 'chick' backbeat stuff. It makes nailing those syncopated, twisty lines quite easy...

#383686 - 02/03/14 07:36 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Or you can do it the way I do, and play the bass line with the left, and chick with the right. Same effect, right?

#383689 - 02/03/14 08:02 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
To do any reasonably effective complex bass lines with a pedal-board, you need at least 25 pedal keys and use your two feet...a 32 note pedal board is ideal.

Problem is, you basically lose your Swell pedal, which is really needed for the dynamics. Then again, you could accent certain notes with the pedals, and play Left Hand bass.

These days, for nearly all my work, I'm quite content to let the arranger play my bass lines for me, and only very seldom use LH bass or pedals (we do have a small Roland PK-5 13-note MIDI Pedal Board in the studio storage room).

The instruments got better at playing bass...and, I got better at being lazy, although I still enjoy playing the Tyros4 several hours a day.

Ian

#383690 - 02/03/14 08:39 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Uncle Dave]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
Or you can do it the way I do, and play the bass line with the left, and chick with the right. Same effect, right?

Left hand bass feels more natural..left side are lower notes, and accordion bass is on the left side too.. smile

#383694 - 02/03/14 09:18 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I don't really consider I have a LH and a RH. Just TWO hands. Both equally important.

So, I do quite a bit of swapping sounds away from their usual hands. Keeps you on your toes. Some songs, I do piano in the LH, brass in the right, then I'll swap the sounds, and do it with brass on the LH, and piano on the RH.

No rules, no limitations...

Sure, I can do bass with the LH, but sometimes it's FUN to do it with the right. Especially where, say in reggae, the bassline actually IS a melody, but the accompaniment is pure simple repetition.

BTW, accordion has the CHORDS on the LH side too! And play an electronic or MIDI accordion, either side can play anything! No rules... LOL

BTW, ever see Joe Zawinul's 'reversed keyboard' thing? He had some keyboard (I think the Oberheim's could do this) where he reversed all the notes. High notes were on the left, and went DOWN as you went right. Trippy, trippy stuff! You just played some of your usual licks and riffs, and got utterly fresh, exciting and new results, and it freed your mind!

No rules... is good rules!

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online