SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#383357 - 02/01/14 08:50 AM Re: Rhodes Early Version 2 Question [Re: hammer]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA

Anyone here ..ever play one of these, besides myself, UncleDave (Mangano days)...Rocky Mountain Instruments...RMI

#383364 - 02/01/14 09:30 AM Re: Rhodes Early Version 2 Question [Re: hammer]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Yes, I played one, Fran...friend of mine in a local band called the Black Kats had one...identical to the one in the video.

For the day, it was pretty good, and tuning was very stable...had a bit more bite than a Rhodes, and a more acoustic piano-like sound than the Wurlitzer 200.

Only issue was that the keys weren't velocity sensitive...there were an odd number of them of them too...68.

He had a volume pedal on his. It had a lute sound that was pretty cool, and the piano sound could be made to sustain like an organ.

Pretty heavy as well.

Ian

#383379 - 02/01/14 10:30 AM Re: Rhodes Early Version 2 Question [Re: ianmcnll]
124 Offline

Geez, it's so long ago. I think Duane O is right, no sustain pedal. I think Rod Argent used a Pianet N on The Zombies' first hit "She's Not There". I haven't seen him in years. Now there's a guy who can play a bit, and then some.

#383404 - 02/01/14 12:07 PM Re: Rhodes Early Version 2 Question [Re: hammer]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Here are the pictures. Both amps and speakers work. Several keys do not sound as loud as others. It is the 73 key version. Otherwise in very good shape.

Deane

Attachments
1.jpg

2.jpg

#383405 - 02/01/14 12:10 PM Re: Rhodes Early Version 2 Question [Re: hammer]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Electro magnetic adjustments is an art...Let someone experienced tune it up...

BTW: that is a newer model than Pre CBS..

#383410 - 02/01/14 12:24 PM Re: Rhodes Early Version 2 Question [Re: hammer]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Tine adjustment ain't THAT hard. It's not as difficult as a Wurlitzer. Plus, plenty of companies still make replacement hammer kits, new tines, pickups and pre-amps, so finding parts is not too hard.

This looks pretty cherry. Was it gigged out? If it was, it got some TLC.

Nothing beats getting a knowledgeable friend to come play it for you (he'd quickly know how much work it needed), but on the whole, this looks nice.

#383412 - 02/01/14 12:26 PM Re: Rhodes Early Version 2 Question [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

You be the judge? keys

#383418 - 02/01/14 12:46 PM Re: Rhodes Early Version 2 Question [Re: hammer]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: hammer
Here are the pictures. Both amps and speakers work. Several keys do not sound as loud as others. It is the 73 key version. Otherwise in very good shape.

Deane

This looks like a late 70s, early 80s Rhodes (NOT "Fender" Rhodes). The volume of each key is easily adjustable, as is the timbre and tuning. I can talk you through any adjustments on the phone - I know this beast inside and out.
smile

#383422 - 02/01/14 12:54 PM Re: Rhodes Early Version 2 Question [Re: hammer]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
I am not interested in buying the Rhodes.. Thought it would be of interest to someone on the forum. I'am downsizing music equipment at the moment and don't need the Rhodes.

Yes, it has been well cared for. I could't find any scratches or marks on it.

Deane

#383426 - 02/01/14 01:06 PM Re: Rhodes Early Version 2 Question [Re: hammer]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Oh, so it's yours? Or on loan?

And Donny... You need a great recording of a REAL Rhodes alongside, and maybe the Yamaha would come off less impressively. The thing that made Rhodes so special was the dynamic range, and how smoothly and predictably (or not, depending on condition!) it went from clean and sparkly to overdriven.

That's the snapshot nature of samples... No matter how many layers (and this doesn't sound much more than maybe three or four, tops), there's always a distinct 'breakpoint' in timbre. And too many people equate the Rhodes with the Dyno-my-piano mod. The real thing was FAR less sparkly and bright.

And it had much more dynamics than at least that demo showed.

But the icing on the cake is the keybed. Just like a B3, or a Clavinet, the keybed itself helped dictate what you could (and couldn't!) play. Rhodes were pretty stiff, took a bit more force than a piano, and so dictated the shape of the phrases to a certain extent (the better the pianist you were, the easier it was to overcome). Sure, play it on a 61 plastic action, you can get the SOUND to a pretty good degree, but the action lets you get away with stuff you couldn't while whanging down those heavy keys!

It's kind of strange to say it, but Rhodes is one of those things that never get THAT close played on lightweight keys. It is SUPPOSED to take effort, LOL

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online