SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#383392 - 02/01/14 11:07 AM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
From scratch, Donny. And, keep in mind that I haven't made a style in 10 years or more - at least not from scratch.

Diki, the new link is just above Donny's last post.

Gary cool

Well Gary I hope this will be the start of something new to add to your repertoire of styles...

#383402 - 02/01/14 12:03 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You got some audio on it for those of us sadly (!) without a PSR?

#383429 - 02/01/14 01:07 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Gimme a few minutes to crank up the S-950.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#383439 - 02/01/14 01:34 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Here ya go, Diki. As I told Donny, keep in mind that I haven't done this in more than a decade so it's just down and dirty. But, rocket science it ain't. Also keep in mind that I was never a drummer or bass player for a very good reason. wink

This is just the first (tap) intro, second variation and me playing a bit of El Cumbanchero with the right hand.

Latin2 Audio MP3

Now you can rip it to shreds,

Gary cool

#383446 - 02/01/14 01:42 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Wow! Where to start?

First thing is, the bassline is playing a 1 to 4 pattern, not 1 to 5. That should be a C to G line, not C to F (no F in the chord of Cmin!).

Then there's no parts in it other than a drum part and a bass part. And don't get me started about how stiff the percussion is. Where are the fills? Intros, Endings, Break/fills?

Look, I'm sorry, but there it is. The PROOF for my original position. It may be easy to DO, but close to impossible to get RIGHT.

Sorry.

#383447 - 02/01/14 01:46 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Like I said, that took 20 minutes and no frills. There are fills, breaks, etc... within the style, I just didn't use them.

Almost forgot, the chords I played were Am and E.

OK, now that I put my balls on the Diki line, let's hear one from Diki. One that you put together from scratch, from the intro up, your drum tracks, bass line, etc... Do something along the same lines, something that would fit with El Cumbanchero. I'm always willing to learn from THE MASTER!

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (02/01/14 01:51 PM)

#383451 - 02/01/14 01:53 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
From scratch, Donny. And, keep in mind that I haven't made a style in 10 years or more - at least not from scratch.

Diki, the new link is just above Donny's last post.

Gary cool

Well Gary I hope this will be the start of something new to add to your repertoire of styles...

Nah! I have thousands upon thousands of great style files - no need for me to go back to doing that again - don't have the time anymore.

Gary cool

#383452 - 02/01/14 01:54 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

OK, now that I put my balls on the Diki line, let's hear one from Diki. One that you put together from scratch, from the intro up, your drum tracks, bass line, etc... Do something along the same lines, something that would fit with El Cumbanchero. I'm always willing to learn from THE MASTER!

Gary cool

No... my point has always been, it's much too HARD to make one as great as the factory ones. Why bother making excrementally bad ones when better ones already exist?

I've got decent emulation chops, and even I don't want to try doing more than assembling from existing great styles and altering the odd note or push here and there.

The point isn't that you can MAKE them. The point is, can you make them as good as the factory ones? If not, don't waste your time. Plenty of other things to work on (like the right changes, for instance!)...

#383456 - 02/01/14 02:04 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I tried it in my Tyros4, Gary, and it works fairly good, although it wasn't recognizing some of the more complex chords I tried with it. The bass line was fine, as were the strings, although the latter could have been a little more prominent.

Also, what makes recording the guitar chord parts, is that playing Mega Voices by hand is very, very difficult, to say the least.

Your style could benefit from guitar parts to flesh it out, and that's where Style Assembly makes it easy as the Mega Voices are already nicely controlled with velocity, although you can change it by going in the Groove & Dynamics section quite easily to get the right effect. Also the guitar parts can be voiced using the NTT settings for stroke or arpeggio.

It's very difficult to get the little details right, and, in my own experience, they are what set a great style apart from a good one. That's why style programmers use a special sequencer based program, as it allows them to tweak mega voices, and let's face it, those sounds are what give Yamaha's styles the edge in realism, in my opinion.

I've done styles a long time ago from scratch, but, I'm more than happy with the results I get from using Assembly, and I find it a lot easier overall.

And, I certainly appreciate the skill those style makers have a lot more.

Thank you for braving the firing line and sharing your "from-scratch" style.

Ian

#383459 - 02/01/14 02:28 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks Ian - I really didn't put much effort into this one - no need to do so. I just wanted to prove a point that the keyboard has the built-in software to do these things, and it's really not all that difficult to do. What is difficult is to create a fantastic style file, one that really brings out the songs you perform and put you a step above the competition. For the most part, manufacturers have already done a great job along these lines, but there are times when you want something a bit different and the onboard program provides you with that opportunity to be creative. The style I use for El Cumbanchero is a Tyros2 style that just really nails it, and I song it in Spanish. I've always loved that song since I first heard it performed by the Ricky Ricardo Band so many years ago.

Gary cool

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online