SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#383282 - 01/31/14 06:30 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I haven't made a style from scratch for at least 10 years, but I had a go at it tonight just for something creative to do. The drum parts were easy, and I've never played drums. I did a down and dirty intro, the first variation and fill for that variation. Took about 5 minutes at most. Put the OTS settings in place in three more minutes.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#383285 - 01/31/14 06:45 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Please, post it up when you finish it, Gary, so I can give it a try on the Tyros4.

What genre is it?

Ian

#383289 - 01/31/14 07:08 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Upbeat Latin. Just messin around with it, and I screwed up the final edit real bad and deleted it, but I was smart enough to save the initial style before modifications. Gettin late here, so I probably work on it tomorrow for a while before the football game begins.

Gary cool

#383293 - 01/31/14 07:29 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

A little trick I used to use was to shorten the number of measures in the style part, especially if it was going to be mostly repetition.

On Style Creator Basic screen, hitting the Exit button once takes you to the # of measures.

You can always extend the number of measures afterwards if there is a part, like a phrase or piano chord part, for example, that you might want to do over 4 or 8 bars.

Shortening the # of measures is also handy when doing some drums parts.

I've been trying to finish up a style set for my friend's Tyros5-76, but perhaps when I'm finished I might try a scratch-built style myself.

You can also store the style, re-open Style Creator to Assembly and copy certain parts you've already done to other style parts.

After I did a few scratch styles, I gained a whole new appreciation for using the Assembly feature to make the style from donor parts.

I even got to the point of taking parts (like Brass phrases) from one genre style, like Swing, and using Groove & Dynamics to make them conform to another genre style, like an 8-Beat.

The more you dig into Style Creator, the more cool things you find you can do to a style, also, you come to appreciate the work done by the original programmers, especially the little details.

Ian

#383308 - 01/31/14 08:54 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Not much on TV tonight, so I messed with the style again. Here ya go, Ian.

Quick Latin

It's not great by any means, I didn't really spend much time tuning and tweaking the intros and endings, just a down and dirty style creation.

Gary cool

#383311 - 01/31/14 09:23 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Hi Gary,

I can't get it to load in the Tyros4...I tried downloading several times, and even storing on another flash-drive...still getting the message "Data hasn't been loaded properly" when I put the drive in the Tyros4 and select the style. Also tried it loading from a folder, and then right from the drive...no luck.

Not sure why that's happening...something in the style not agreeing with the Tyros4.

Thanks just the same.

The thing I find about making the styles from scratch, is getting in the little details, especially using mega voices or even SA sounds, both of which are necessary to really add life to the style.

It's the finer points that take up all the time...but they also make all the difference...hence the style makers using a computer program/sequencer as they can much easier control or adjust the affectation of the Mega Voices with velocity.

Maybe it will work in someone else's S950?

Ian

#383358 - 02/01/14 09:16 AM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

I don't know what happened, Ian. Something to do with the last save process. I went back this morning, loaded the first segment, then reassembled the style again, not at good as the first try, but I only spent 20 minutes on it. Here ya go.

Latin2

Gary cool

#383372 - 02/01/14 10:16 AM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
I don't know what happened, Ian. Something to do with the last save process. I went back this morning, loaded the first segment, then reassembled the style again, not at good as the first try, but I only spent 20 minutes on it. Here ya go.

Latin2

Gary cool

Gary was this done from scratch Drums, Bass lines, Quantize, etc, ..? or?

Edited by Dnj (02/01/14 10:16 AM)

#383386 - 02/01/14 10:48 AM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Removed?

#383389 - 02/01/14 10:52 AM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

From scratch, Donny. And, keep in mind that I haven't made a style in 10 years or more - at least not from scratch.

Diki, the new link is just above Donny's last post.

Gary cool

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online