SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#382920 - 01/29/14 06:43 AM Yamaha Motif Version Upgrade 1.5
Joesax Offline

Loc: Southern New Jersey
Yamaha gave Motif owners a nice free upgrade this week. Version 1.5 gave us the new HD reverbs that are in the Tyros 5 as well as 16 new voices ( actually new versions of existing ones ) and 8 new performances plus a number of new Guitar effects. The new HD reverbs are very clean and a welcome upgrade from the already nice reverbs in the Motif. So it looks like the next TOTL Workstation from Yamaha is probably at least a year away. BTW since I run my Tyros 3 through the Motif it gets processed by the Motif effects so the new HD Reverbs have improved my Tyros 3 voices and Styles as well.
Tyros 3, Motif XF6, Quad Amp/Pre-Amp/DAC, Quad Monitors, Tascam Digital Recorder

#382923 - 01/29/14 06:58 AM Re: Yamaha Motif Version Upgrade 1.5 [Re: Joesax]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Joesax
Yamaha gave Motif owners a nice free upgrade this week. Version 1.5 gave us the new HD reverbs that are in the Tyros 5 as well as 16 new voices ( actually new versions of existing ones ) and 8 new performances plus a number of new Guitar effects. The new HD reverbs are very clean and a welcome upgrade from the already nice reverbs in the Motif. So it looks like the next TOTL Workstation from Yamaha is probably at least a year away. BTW since I run my Tyros 3 through the Motif it gets processed by the Motif effects so the new HD Reverbs have improved my Tyros 3 voices and Styles as well.

A new HD workstation by Yamaha is long overdue.. as the XF was only a minor sound upgrade to the XS..

Might be that they want to sell the last few XF workstations with this so called update.. The update itselves however gives no indication at all about a new upcomming workstation.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#382926 - 01/29/14 07:15 AM Re: Yamaha Motif Version Upgrade 1.5 [Re: Bachus]
Joesax Offline

Actually with the Flash Expansion, which I have not done yet, you can add tons of new Performances and 3rd-Party Voice Libraries to the Motif XF and the MOXF. If you maxed out the Flash (2GB) and loaded it up you would have a new Workstation from a sound perspective. Plus you can add Karma and many Ipad/Mac Apps. I have had the Motif for a few years now and learn something new that I can do all the time. It's a fabulous workstation. So a new one from Yamaha would have to be fantastic for me to upgrade.
Tyros 3, Motif XF6, Quad Amp/Pre-Amp/DAC, Quad Monitors, Tascam Digital Recorder

#382968 - 01/29/14 12:48 PM Re: Yamaha Motif Version Upgrade 1.5 [Re: Joesax]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I hope Yamaha jump on the Kronos bandwagon, and go streaming SSD ROM. Until WS's can address the RAM sizes that VSTi's can, they are going to keep losing market share to them...

I'd love to see Yamaha go touchscreen, as well. After you've used one, it's almost impossible to stop yourself touching the screen to get stuff done! They probably need a larger one than they use now, but touch screen OEM prices are tumbling, and it speeds up operation and intuitiveness.

A bit more flexibility to the Arp structure would be nice... we've talked here recently about the need for arps to start when you ask for them, not just on bar boundaries, but they need a system where, if you ask for an arp on say beat 3, it STARTS on beat 3 (as an option, of course)...

I know I'm going to get a popcorn eating emoticon for saying this, but isn't it a shame that Yamaha can get around to updating their WS's with a free update, but this virtually NEVER happens for their arrangers..?

I bet all the PSR and Tyros users got at least a dozen great ideas that could be added with software alone.

#382998 - 01/29/14 02:00 PM Re: Yamaha Motif Version Upgrade 1.5 [Re: Joesax]
Joesax Offline

Yes, as a Tyros 3 Owner I never received any additional voices, sounds, effects, etc as part of an upgrade. Yamaha only offered Premium Voice/Style Packs that required you to first purchase Memory to store them. Right after I purchased the memory (thinking I would have lots of future packs to add) they introduced the Tyros 4 and all subsequent Premium packs were not compatible with my T3.

As to the WS's not starting the arp on a specific beat, that has never bothered me. I use the "Next Measure" option and it works fine for my needs. So not an issue for me.

Yes. I believe that if you get use to a Touch Screen on another keyboard going back to a non-touch can be difficult. Both my T3 and Motif do not have a Touch Screen so again not an issue for me.

#383002 - 01/29/14 02:12 PM Re: Yamaha Motif Version Upgrade 1.5 [Re: Joesax]
Diki Offline

I was rather more talking about arranger features than sounds and styles, but anything is welcome!

And, if you come from an arranger background, it's hard to go back to asking for fills a bar in advance... I'm glad you can make it work for you, Joe.

#383009 - 01/29/14 02:59 PM Re: Yamaha Motif Version Upgrade 1.5 [Re: Diki]
Joesax Offline

Yes, once you have a particular feature it is difficult to go back. In any case I will be looking forward to see what Yamaha will offer in the next iteration of their Workstation. Who knows maybe they will move toward more Arrange type features.

#383014 - 01/29/14 03:21 PM Re: Yamaha Motif Version Upgrade 1.5 [Re: Joesax]
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
I own the Motif XS (have had it since its release and its still going strong)

I am hoping for Yamaha to allow up to 6 or even better - 8 arps to be layered simultaneously as opposed to just 4 in performance mode...

then you will be able to have full proper arranger-like backing and performances in real time...

also the MOXS and MOXF have dedicated buttons on the keybaord for layering voices and transpose which the Motif XS and XF do not...

Touch Screen? I dont know if im a minority or majority here but I honestly dont really see any need for a touch screen on the Motif. from what i see in the motifator forum its never really on the wish list... navigating through the Motif is always a breeze. things could be quicker with some short cuts and better planned out Operating System IMO.

Hopefully we see some major changes on the new synth whenever it comes out...

#383055 - 01/30/14 12:04 AM Re: Yamaha Motif Version Upgrade 1.5 [Re: Joesax]
Diki Offline

Everybody THINKS they can do without a touch screen, until they get a keyboard with a GOOD one...

Then you never want one without it!

Sadly, Roland shafted me. After making quite honestly the BEST touch screen OS in any keyboard (I've played them all), the morons dropped it. They must be on drugs!

#383087 - 01/30/14 08:16 AM Re: Yamaha Motif Version Upgrade 1.5 [Re: Nick G]
Joesax Offline

Nick:

I agree and if Yamaha were to expand Motif Performances to support 6 parts I would upgrade. That would make the Motif even more exciting to use. Since I have a Tyros 3 I have been able to get more voices in a mix by using the Right 1,2,3 and Left on the Tyros. Plus I also use one or two channels in a Style combined with the Motif Arp parts.

Diki:

I agree that once you get use to a touch screen it can become a requirement. Although in my case I seem to have wide fingers and have had issues selecting the right item when I demo Korg products. I have found the Motif buttons to be be so fast to use with no accidental selections of things I don't want.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online