SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13 >
Topic Options
#383056 - 01/30/14 12:11 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Ian, I haven't played any other Roland with the same action yet. Admittedly, I haven't seen a Jupiter yet, but I've played some of the Juno's...not even close!

I wasn't all that impressed with the BK3 and BK-5 actions. Admittedly, they still felt better than a PSR, but nothing like the BK-9. That is crisp, precise, and quite a pleasure to play.

#383058 - 01/30/14 12:14 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I really like the action. It's light enough for my old arthritic fingers yet has solid response. The keys do have sharp edges on the underneath. It will make you be sure and hold your fingers up a little, as you should anyway.

#383059 - 01/30/14 12:16 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
And Donny... DON'T DO IT! stop

You will gush about it for a couple of months, then gradually the realization that it isn't a Yamaha PSR will dawn on you, and then you will start putting it down and go back to your S950...

Honestly, I can't think of an arranger that is more the polar opposite of the S950 than the BK-9! Sound, OS, styles, feel, lack of VH, screens, it's everything the PSR isn't. And the PSR is everything the BK-9 isn't!

Play Fran's (when he gets one!), enjoy what it does, but go back to your one true love!

#383069 - 01/30/14 01:49 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Diki]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Diki
Ian, I haven't played any other Roland with the same action yet. Admittedly, I haven't seen a Jupiter yet, but I've played some of the Juno's...not even close!

I wasn't all that impressed with the BK3 and BK-5 actions. Admittedly, they still felt better than a PSR, but nothing like the BK-9. That is crisp, precise, and quite a pleasure to play.

I was even more interested in trying it for myself when my friend who bought the Tyros5-76 said he tried a BK-9 at a music store out West and he was a bit concerned that it wouldn't stand up to his playing over the long haul, plus, he said it was actually too light (go figure that one) and it wasn't easy to secure on the stand it was on(the kind with 4-legs...a K&M).

He also mentioned the data wheel as feeling a tad fragile.

Otherwise, he said it sounded great, and he thought the acoustic pianos were very well done, and the Rhodes sims were especially nice and expressive.

In any case, Johnny grew up on acoustic pianos, and plays pretty hard, and most synth type keyboards don't usually last long under his big fingers...his 9000 Pro has only had to have the strips replaced twice over the many years he's owned it, and hopefully the Tyros5-76 will stand up even better. He really likes the action so far.

PSR instruments were never a consideration, as you will understand.

His concerns were what piqued my interest even more in trying the BK-9. I'm sure I'll like it, as I'm not that heavy a player, having spent so much time on Hammond AND weighted actioned pianos, so I'm able to adjust to something lighter...e.g...I have no problem on PSR's.

I also want to be able to personally recommend the BK-9 to those wanting a 76'er that is much less expensive and more portable than a Tyros5-76, which is a bit on the large side, although, I must say, it does look very impressive, especially on the L7S stand, which was made for it.

It is a big chunk of change nevertheless.

I've checked with Roland Canada regarding similar keybeds to see if they can tell me what other 'boards use the same keybed...I was thinking it was the Jupiter-50, but I want to be sure. No word yet.

Maybe I can talk them into sending a BK-9 in locally...worth a try.

DonM seems very pleased with his, and I trust his judgement as I do yours and Fran's (I'm looking forward to Mr. Carango's impressions).

Ian

#383075 - 01/30/14 05:03 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: zuki]
Dnj Offline

Don one more day with the BK9?.....one more review?.
Setting up styles, sounds, levels, iPad integration, OS navigation while playing live, fills, breaks, intro/endings,
vocal efx, dual; display look & functions, hooked up to the nano yet?....???? first gig with it coming soon?

curious minds want to know... confused1

#383102 - 01/30/14 09:32 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

I'm taking my time. Yesterday was mostly spent auditioning styles, finding some I was missing, saving Favorite Sounds, and updating some of my old Performances.
The dual display isn't that bad. Editing and saving things is pretty easy, even directly on the keyboard. I don't much like all the distorted Rock guitar sounds on the Rock Styles, so I'm changing some of those sounds, or just taking them out. Easy enough. Just adjust and save to Performance.
Haven't hooked up the Ipad yet because I need the cable.
Regarding the vocal processing. It has high and low e.q. and a preset reverb that is only adjustable in level. Sounds pretty good. Nothing fancy, but fine for an hour nursing home job. I will use Harmony M with it most of the time.
The sound is good out of the box. I played with the overall compression and e.q. a little, but didn't change much.
I have played it through the Nano. My friend DickieT came over yesterday to see the keyboard and he was totally impressed . . . with the Nano. smile Oh, and he liked the BK9 too, but it would be way too big a change for him after years and years of Yammies.
He wanted to trade his Tyros 4 for my Korg though. Out of the question of course!
As to operating live, that's about all I've done. The FC7 pedal board is great and there are lots of functions that can be assigned to it, depending on your preferences. Also my Yamaha sustain, footswitch and volume pedals all work fine if needed.
The Chord Sequencer is seamless and easy to use!
I have three more weeks to decide if I will keep the BK9, but I think I will at this point. At any rate, the Korg goes to Houston tomorrow, on its way to Hidalgo, Mexico to mi amigo there.
I have about decided to drive it to Houston and visit Don Patterson on the way in Lufkin. Houston is about 3 1/2 hours so I can drive for about the same price as shipping it. Mini-vacation.
Overall, I can work easily with the BK9. Do I expect to keep it ten years. That would be highly unlikely, but I'm sure it would last through the end of my career if needed. Just another toy/ I mean TOOL.
Best points as of now: Sounds, especially drums, pianos, acoustic guitars, ORGANS and bass. Chord sequencer. Footswitch to toggle between Upper One and Upper Two sounds. Favorite Banks (wish they would store custom effects though). Ease of operation, especially in auditioning new styles. (With Korg, everything must be loaded into User area of the keyboard, no auditioning straight from USB.)
So far so good!

#383130 - 01/30/14 03:05 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Don thanx for the update on setting up your BK9.........
cant wait to hear more about your experiences after you have 5-10 gigs under you belt with the BK9 as that will be the deciding factor as you well know..............

just in case you decide to not keep it and your Pa3x is now gone wheat do you have your sites on next ....I Know deep inside you miss the Audya, keys ...and for me you never sounded better with it on stage. headphone

Edited by Dnj (01/30/14 03:07 PM)

#383146 - 01/30/14 04:16 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

No Audya for me! Too heavy.

#383150 - 01/30/14 04:36 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: DonM]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
[quote=DonM]No Audya for me! Too heavy. [/quot

Don, the best song on your website to me (keyboard wise) is Thats alright now mama.. smile

Guitars, drums , bass... and it sounds live...What board was that? grin

#383154 - 01/30/14 05:27 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Fran Carango]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
Originally Posted By: DonM
No Audya for me! Too heavy.

Don, the best song on your website to me (keyboard wise) is Thats alright now mama.. smile
Guitars, drums , bass... and it sounds live...What board was that? grin

... real rock-a-billy ... Elvis would have loved it ... rocker guitar

Page 4 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online