SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#382836 - 01/28/14 09:19 AM Re: Somebody please, buy this kid an arranger keyboard [Re: DonM]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
In this case, the player does NOT need to come up with variations on the lead line to emit/transmit the kind if emotion that "lives" n this song.

The kid's got it, and, no, it's not true that jazz is easy because this 10 year old can play it.

Russ

#382841 - 01/28/14 09:53 AM Re: Somebody please, buy this kid an arranger keyboard [Re: captain Russ]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By: captain Russ
In this case, the player does NOT need to come up with variations on the lead line to emit/transmit the kind if emotion that "lives" n this song.

The kid's got it, and, no, it's not true that jazz is easy because this 10 year old can play it.

Russ

I know that silly. It's easy because YOU can play it.

#382842 - 01/28/14 09:57 AM Re: Somebody please, buy this kid an arranger keyboard [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I'm sure Don was just ribbing us saying that jazz is 'easy'. Fact is, Don, Monk WAS very weird. His wife, when annoyed with him, referred to him as Melodious Thunk. And with all due respect to Diki (don't want to incur HIS wrath), anyone that plays Jimmy Buffet is not in a position to criticize Country (or any other type of) music smile smile.

chas

#382844 - 01/28/14 10:45 AM Re: Somebody please, buy this kid an arranger keyboard [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Personally, I like the buffet at the Chinese restaurant better.
However, if you play for people in this part of the world you'd better know Margaritaville at least!
I've done it so many times, I often make up words to it as I go and most of the time nobody notices unless they happen to be singing along.
There are a couple of his songs I like, including Pirate Looks at Forty.
I'm listening to Monk on youtube so I can see what the fuss is all about. So far I like the kid better!

#382846 - 01/28/14 10:59 AM Re: Somebody please, buy this kid an arranger keyboard [Re: cgiles]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Not meant to be a relgious discussion, but JMO, further proof that there is a God and he has bestowed some gifts to some that he has not to others. AMEN.

#382847 - 01/28/14 11:01 AM Re: Somebody please, buy this kid an arranger keyboard [Re: cgiles]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
It's time for another posting of Yogi Berra Explains Jazz!!

Interviewer: Can you explain jazz?

Yogi: I can't, but I will. 90% of all jazz is half improvisation. The other half is the part people play while others are playing something they never played with anyone who played that part. So if you play the wrong part, its right. If you play the right part, it might be right if you play it wrong enough. But if you play it too right, it's wrong.

Interviewer: I don't understand.

Yogi: Anyone who understands jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it.

Interviewer: Do you understand it?

Yogi: No. That's why I can explain it. If I understood it, I wouldn't know anything about it.

Interviewer: Are there any great jazz players alive today?

Yogi: No. All the great jazz players alive today are dead. Except for the ones that are still alive. But so many of them are dead, that the ones that are still alive are dying to be like the ones that are dead. Some would kill for it.

Interviewer: What is syncopation?

Yogi: That's when the note that you should hear now happens either before or after you hear it. In jazz, you don't hear notes when they happen because that would be some other type of music. Other types of music can be jazz, but only if they're the same as something different from those other kinds.

Interviewer: Now I really don't understand.

Yogi: I haven't taught you enough for you to not understand jazz that well.

#382851 - 01/28/14 12:31 PM Re: Somebody please, buy this kid an arranger keyboard [Re: DonM]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: DonM
if you play for people in this part of the world you'd better know Margaritaville at least!
There are a couple of his songs I like, including Pirate Looks at Forty.

Ah, you're just saying that 'cause you're scared of Diki too smile smile.

Originally Posted By: DonM
I'm listening to Monk on youtube so I can see what the fuss is all about. So far I like the kid better.

Many people agree that Monk was not the best interpreter of his own music (think Bob Dylan smile ). Check out Oscar Peterson's version. If you're still having problems, get Boo to 'splain it to you smile.

chas

#382864 - 01/28/14 02:10 PM Re: Somebody please, buy this kid an arranger keyboard [Re: cgiles]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Chas, when I was in the Florida Keys last winter, if you didn't know at least a dozen Buffet songs you were in deep trouble. And, of all people that loved both Buffett and lots of country music, it was the Canadians that requested the most of both. Jimmy Buffett made me a lot of tip money down there. smile Thank you Mr. Buffett for your contribution to the world of music.

The top requests included:
1. Margarettaville
2. A Pirate Looks at Forty
3. Come Monday
4. Pencil Thin Mustache
5. Cheeseburger In Paradise
6. Volcano
7. It's Five O'Clock Somewhere
8. Why Don't We Get Drunk And Screw
9. Boat Drinks
10. Son Of A Sailor
11. Changes In Lattitude
12. He Went To Paris

I also had lots of requests for John Denver songs, Sinatra songs, lots of upbeat Latin songs, and 50s, 60s, and 70s rock songs, all of which seemed to go over very well.

Boot Key Harbor was filled to capacity with sailboats and trawlers, all of which from ports in the frozen north. Those folks wanted to be entertained, they loved to party, and the tipped very well. Many traveled from Canadian ports on the north side of the Great Lakes, and spent the better part of 3 months getting to Boot Key Harbor. They were there to party the winter away and happy to be in the land of palm trees, snow white sand, turquoise waters and 75 to 80 degree temperatures that time of year. Some never go home, they just renewed their visas and stayed year round - which I only wish I could do.

As for Jazz, Nah! In that part of the world it just ain't gonna happen. There were a couple jazz clubs in Key West a few years back, but they're long gone. They're packed to the walls and the bands are playing Jimmy Buffett music now.

I'm not afraid of Diki's wrath - could care less. And, I'm damned well positive that he's playing some Buffett and country music as well in Destin. If not, he's starvin to death. wink

If you want to see what things are like in Marathon, take a look at http://www.tikilive.com/show/boot-key-harbor-webcam

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#382869 - 01/28/14 02:31 PM Re: Somebody please, buy this kid an arranger keyboard [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

I'm starting to think you enjoyed your visit there.

#382873 - 01/28/14 03:05 PM Re: Somebody please, buy this kid an arranger keyboard [Re: cgiles]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
OK, OK. I'd play a Buffet song or two with ANY of you here.

But be damn sure I'd deny the hell out of it if you ever told anybody!

Russ ("Buffetless") Lay

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online