SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#382779 - 01/27/14 07:49 PM Re: Somebody please, buy this kid an arranger keyboard [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
When I was 10 arrangers had not been invented, and I never played piano so didnt have any chops, except my baseball swing.
The kid is obviously gifted to say the least.
We are mostly a forum of old men who play arrangers for our own enjoyment and for friends and family.
Maybe as this lad grows he will learn some popular music too, to supplement his mastery of this genre. smile. Jazz must be pretty easy for someone to conquer it at such an early age!
Oh lighten up, I'm just agitating again!

#382782 - 01/27/14 08:18 PM Re: Somebody please, buy this kid an arranger keyboard [Re: cgiles]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Future NH entertainer? I doubt it!

Kids got chops and taste, you can have an 'amen' from me, chas!

But there's a LONG way to go from 10 year old enthusiasm to mature pro, and the list of 'whatever happened to THAT kid?' is as long as your arm. All kinds of things change for kids as they grow and mature. Who knows? He could develop a taste for hiphop, or baseball, or drugs. Any of which could stop him dead in his tracks.

Not as dead as liking country, but still pretty dead!

We all hope he'll be one of the few child prodigies that turn into adult prodigies (it would be cruel not to!), but there's no guarantees.

#382787 - 01/27/14 09:29 PM Re: Somebody please, buy this kid an arranger keyboard [Re: cgiles]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
What impresses me most, is that the kid is not all technique or no technique like many prodigies.

He has that happy balance of great playing ability and the competence to bring out the essence of the music.

Ian

#382790 - 01/27/14 11:07 PM Re: Somebody please, buy this kid an arranger keyboard [Re: cgiles]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Just fantastic !!!! Such a mature performance from such a young player.

#382792 - 01/27/14 11:45 PM Re: Somebody please, buy this kid an arranger keyboard [Re: cgiles]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I read somewhere that the child began at age 4 when his parents brought home mini keyboard, probably arranger and he started to play a melody that was a Thelonious Monk tune that he must've heard from his fathers record collection .His father is not a musician but has a huge jazz record collection so from a very early age he was immersed in good quality jazz. There is no doubting the boys God given talent.

I hope he does not burn out though . He is too young to be touring and there is so much more to being a kid that he needs to experience as he grows into a man .

#382796 - 01/28/14 12:43 AM Re: Somebody please, buy this kid an arranger keyboard [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Ah reckin ah been ded since ah's bout twenny and herd bout Hank. hip hop is fer Eester ain't it? an ahm sprised they let that there monk feller outa the convent jest to play that there jazz stuff.

#382800 - 01/28/14 02:21 AM Re: Somebody please, buy this kid an arranger keyboard [Re: cgiles]
jdx Offline

Loc: Liverpool U.K.
Check out this 4 year old !!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omuYi2Vhgjo

Edited by jdx (01/28/14 02:27 AM)

#382812 - 01/28/14 06:15 AM Re: Somebody please, buy this kid an arranger keyboard [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Hmmm, wonder what kind of response I'd get if I decided to mock Hank Williams or Merle Haggard? Anyhoo, most musicologists agree that 'Round Midnight is one of the most beautifully crafted songs in modern music. I, for one, am willing to look past Monk's 'weirdness' and appreciate his genius.

Ian nailed it. It's not so much the technique (although the kid has plenty) as the feeling and maturity he brings to such complex and sophisticated music. That ain't 'emulating' baby, that's God-given talent and a musical sensitivity that belies his tender years. BTW, is it a little strange that an Indonesian kid would be named Joey Alexander?

'Carlos'

#382813 - 01/28/14 06:20 AM Re: Somebody please, buy this kid an arranger keyboard [Re: cgiles]
zuki Offline

I guess we'll never know how he turns out, being a group of "old men" lol.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#382834 - 01/28/14 09:10 AM Re: Somebody please, buy this kid an arranger keyboard [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Chas, Hank was a genius of a different kind. Too bad he wasn't smart enough not to drink himself to death at 29.
I like a lot of Merle's songs, but many of them were not well written at all, like he had a thought or hook and wrote it down and put a few words around it and recorded it, without much regard to structure. Certainly nothing to compare with anything TM did!
I do appreciate all kinds of music, though some of it, like Rap, I don't care to listen to. My other post was in response to my friend Diki's comment about being dead if you like Country music, and the reference to Monk was a joke on monks living in convents, not to any weirdness. I don't know enough about him to know if he was weird!
Anyway, we all agree this kid can play his tail off.
I don't know any Merle jokes, but here's a Conway Twitty story:

"The new Alabama preacher was a dead ringer for Conway Twitty. One day he decided to visit some of the church members who hadn't been to service lately. He went to the first lady's house and knocked on the door. When she answered the door, she said, "Conway Twitty!"

No, ma'am," he replied. "I'm your new pastor, and I just stopped by to have a prayer with you." She invited him right in. He visited several more homes, and everyone thought he was Conway Twitty.

Eventually, he came to the house at the end of the street. It turned out to be the residence of a young widow. When the Reverend knocked on her door, the young widow was taking a shower. Hearing the knock, she just wrapped a towel around herself, ran to the door and threw it open.

When she saw her caller, she threw up her hands - which allowed the towel to fall to the floor putting all her wonderful young and luscious curves on display. "Oh my God!" she exclaimed. "It's Conway Twitty!"

The preacher just smiled and said, "Hello, Darlin."

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online