SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#382713 - 01/27/14 10:18 AM Re: Trying something new [Re: Saswick]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I'd say kill the doubling. Keep only ONE copy of each harmony part.

Machines (at least not this one!) simply can't do doubling very well. It's a pretty subtle effect in real life, on a VH machine it's a recipe for sounding like a bad acid trip!

#382716 - 01/27/14 10:27 AM Re: Trying something new [Re: Diki]
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...
Diki: I think you misunderstood I don't use the VH for doubling I use two lead voice tracks recorded direct into Cubase and alter the timing on the second track to give the doubling effect, overdid it on Tequila Sunrise but we all make mistakes, well some of us do. LOL

"He who never made a mistake never made anything" not sure who said it but someone must have. grin

Col

#382717 - 01/27/14 10:28 AM Re: Trying something new [Re: Saswick]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Col, that recording setup sounds like some very innovative thinking! I just plug into a Tascam recorder and go. I do like the sound you're getting on the style.
I pulled up this style and tried it but the guitars are much more subdued that they are in your recording. I assume you raised the levels of the guitar strums in your style. Anyway, keep on pickin', as they say here in the south!
I think all the constructive criticism is well-intended and you have some pretty knowledgeable minds on your side! And some of us are just listening and learning!

#382721 - 01/27/14 10:49 AM Re: Trying something new [Re: DonM]
Saswick Offline

Hi Don

Your right about the style, if you use variation's 1 & 2, try lifting the volume on the first guitar and the last Guitar. Don't use the third and fourth variation they mask the guitar.

Regarding the feedback: I really feel lucky to have made some good friends on this forum and one's who are not afraid to tell it as it is.

Keep on criticising and hopefully I'll keep on improving, as they say over here in Lancashire "Thay're never to owd ta larne"
at least I think that's what they say.

Seventy two years old in a couple of week's.

Thank you all, even Diki laugh2

Col

#382748 - 01/27/14 01:10 PM Re: Trying something new [Re: Saswick]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Col ... when I am making a recording 'for keeps' (like a Christmas CD ) I use a similar method ... Using my ZOOM H4n, I record the background on Tr4, RH solos on Tr3, Lead voice on Tr1 and harmony on Tr2 ... that way, if I goof up (when DON'T I frown ) I only have to record the one part again ...

#382780 - 01/27/14 07:55 PM Re: Trying something new [Re: Saswick]
Diki Offline

Whether you do it in the VH or in Cubase, simply taking the SAME vocal and moving it a few milliseconds isn't really 'doubling'. There ARE some hardware and plug-ins that do it well, but they do a LOT more than simply copy and move in time... that tends to lead to that 'phase-y' or chorused sound that mars that track.

The best doublers constantly move the amount of time the doubled track is in relationship to the original, and also move the pitch around somewhat, so you don't get the phased sound that close moves give you, or the slapback sound that moving it far enough away that it doesn't flange/phase.

But the best 'doubler'? Sing it twice! Work really hard on using the exact same phrasing you did the first take, then chop it up in Cubase whenever it gets a tiny bit too far from the original. A hair of Auto-Tune on the doubled take can help, too.

No school like the old school!

#382794 - 01/28/14 12:30 AM Re: Trying something new [Re: Saswick]
Saswick Offline

Diki: I'll keep trying

My good lady thinks one of me is more than enough LOL

Hard enough singing them once but twice, I haven't even tried multi tracking yet, basically I'm a lazy sod I suppose.

Col

#382795 - 01/28/14 12:36 AM Re: Trying something new [Re: Saswick]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
To be honest, Col. I think you have the typical singer's lack of confidence in your own voice. Most of us have that, but forget it, sing the song and let your voice "speak" for itself. It does not need to be hidden; it sounds fine. Try that, and it will only get better!
Been there done that!

#382801 - 01/28/14 03:10 AM Re: Trying something new [Re: Saswick]
Saswick Offline

Cheers Don, a little encouragement goes a long way.

Col

#382942 - 01/29/14 11:05 AM Re: Trying something new [Re: Saswick]
Diki Offline

Listen to Willie Nelson... not a great voice, but they don't swamp him with effects!

The trick is, you are going for the emotional core of the song... all effects do is make that harder to hear. One voice, no tricks (OK, you want to get fancy, a hair of Auto-Tune, not enough to hear it, can help a bit!), minimal plate reverb, mixed up close and in your face, people connect with that.

But processed, homogenized, patently fake harmonies and cheap ADT only serves to turn them off. You'd be amazed how OTHER people like your voice, even if you don't! The list of great stars that HATED their own voices is as long as your arm! Didn't stop OTHER people liking them, though.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online