#382674 - 01/26/14 11:50 PM Re: Korg PA900 vs Roland BK9 Keyboard [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Back to the rehearsal room. LOL

#382677 - 01/27/14 12:01 AM Re: Korg PA900 vs Roland BK9 Keyboard [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Whole house is the rehearsal room!

My singer/guitarist backs himself solo with an S950, so my first order of business will be taking his sequences and converting them for the Roland! Then stripping them down to mostly just bass and drums.

We've A/B'd the two back to back before, he really likes the live sound of the BK-9... I really like the guitar sounds in the S950!

If only Yamaha made an S950 module, LOL

But, as soon as I'm done getting the sequences done, I'm going to try doing a whole lot more LH bass/drums in arranger mode (I kick the Variation/Fills with an FC-7) with him on guitar and just avoid the whole auto-accompaniment thing as much as possible. Personally, I think people like to SEE musicians play, not press buttons!

But what do I know? LOL

More to come...

#382678 - 01/27/14 12:07 AM Re: Korg PA900 vs Roland BK9 Keyboard [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Whatever works...keep your stick on the ice. LOL

And, be careful of all those buttons. There's no telling who'll be listening (and watching).

Ian

#382680 - 01/27/14 12:23 AM Re: Korg PA900 vs Roland BK9 Keyboard [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

NSA gets first approval of the mixes, LOL

#382682 - 01/27/14 12:54 AM Re: Korg PA900 vs Roland BK9 Keyboard [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

At least you don't have to get it by the NHL.

Helmet optional. LOL

Ian

#382714 - 01/27/14 10:19 AM Re: Korg PA900 vs Roland BK9 Keyboard [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Now THAT explains a lot, Ian!

#382718 - 01/27/14 10:32 AM Re: Korg PA900 vs Roland BK9 Keyboard [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I've been saying for a couple of years that I wish I had those PSR950 guitar sounds to play with on a Korg or Roland.
I finally got a couple of guitars I really love for the Korg though.

#382730 - 01/27/14 11:19 AM Re: Korg PA900 vs Roland BK9 Keyboard [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

I have three current favorite guitar sounds on my Tyros4.

The first is SA Single Coil Clean with my own personal amp setting...a little distortion and delay mainly.

The next is the SA Pedal Steel...pretty accurate as is.

The third is one I made from the Clean Jazz Guitar but run through a tube amp (sounds a bit like a Fender Twin) with some smooth distortion.

The others are all very nice, and often, my favorites change from time to time.

That's the beauty of these arrangers...you can pretty well dial in whatever you want, and whatever your imagination can conjure up.

Ian

#382733 - 01/27/14 11:29 AM Re: Korg PA900 vs Roland BK9 Keyboard [Re: Diki]
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Originally Posted By: Diki
IVery few swamp the backing with the RH, and you all know how I HATE that! I just don't get it... you pay a fortune for a backing keyboard, then play so loud you can barely hear the backing!
http://www.youtube.com/user/LaPietradelParagone/videos

If the styles ( i call it dead styles) are too busy ( mainly poorly written bass and chord lines) and or too dry , that's what the player is trying to mask ( and also trying to do his best to put better dynamics/expressiveness with the style).
A well written style with good expressive dynamics will not have that problem.Left hand alone is sufficient.R hand for OCCATIONAL pad/strings/small licks when singing ( unless you are playing the melody).

I found it to be the case with most styles in BK and also new PAs. (only few styles are good IMO).

We are taking about bad bass lines /fill -licks that are not very generic enough to cover most songs or too plain when you progress to the next variation.

Edited by jamman (01/27/14 11:37 AM)

#382772 - 01/27/14 06:58 PM Re: Korg PA900 vs Roland BK9 Keyboard [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Not everyone WANTS to let the arranger play it all. There are a lot of players that simply want the arranger fill in for what they CAN'T play themselves, Jamman.

For me, the primary use for the Dynamic Arranger is if you are playing in full PianoStyle Mode. Then the way it follows your dynamics is sublime. It's got nothing to do with how the Variations build and ebb. It's about how the SAME Variation can be more dynamic when you WANT it.

I'm sorry, but the vast majority of user demos AND many of the pro demos ALL swamp the backing. Regardless of manufacturer, style or sound. It's just the natural tendency to want to hear YOURSELF while you play, even on a sound that shouldn't really be that loud.

It's quite easy to demonstrate. Record an arranger performance into the sequencer. Set up the volumes to where you usually like them. Now listen back, and start to back down the keyboard Parts (if you played any! LOL). You would be amazed at how far down you can turn them, and still hear them clearly in the mix..!

It's a wakeup call to us all... Learn to play IN the mix, not ON the mix. Your audience will love you for it, and you may very well get a lot more dancers now they can HEAR a beat to dance to!

I agree that there is a big difference between style Parts that are too busy, and style parts that are too loud. In fact, it's one of the things I notice a LOT, because I'm looking for room in the mix to PLAY. Sure, I need a guitar part going, but if it's busy, less room for me. On the whole, you tend to find older legacy styles are much better to play on top of. Nowadays, the tendency is towards styles that do it all (which you seem to like), but older arrangers didn't sound that great, so what YOU played made up for it. I still have a collection of styles from the G1000 days that, although I've converted them to use the much better, newer sounds, still work better than the current styles because there's ROOM for me to play!

And sorry, but for me, the drier the mix, on the whole, the better! The room I play in is going to add in a bunch of ambiance I won't hear that well, but the audience does. Wetting up the mix so it sounds great through cans like it is in a live room, if you play it INTO a live room it means a double dose of ambiance!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online