Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#382583 - 01/26/14 07:43 AM Korg PA900 vs Roland BK9 Keyboard
Dnj Offline

headphone

#382590 - 01/26/14 09:15 AM Re: Korg PA900 vs Roland BK9 Keyboard [Re: Dnj]
zuki Offline

love both. My earlier attempts at Roland (e,g) wasn't good. styles (to me) were too busy and not enough for the 'old folks' stuff. Maybe the BK has changed. I'd love to have a light weight 76.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#382591 - 01/26/14 09:21 AM Re: Korg PA900 vs Roland BK9 Keyboard [Re: zuki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: zuki
love both. My earlier attempts at Roland (e,g) wasn't good. styles (to me) were too busy and not enough for the 'old folks' stuff. Maybe the BK has changed. I'd love to have a light weight 76.

TOO BUSY shouldn't be a problem with any arranger today as it's so easy to mute style parts to your liking ...all three of these MOTL units are more then capable to use for gigs of any genre as they all sound so closely good,.....the only concern should be personal operational features & navigational playing preferences IMO. For me Out of the three models after my S-950 the Pa900 would be next as it has speakers & touch screen, multipads, VH, vs the BK9.

Edited by Dnj (01/26/14 09:25 AM)

#382599 - 01/26/14 09:49 AM Re: Korg PA900 vs Roland BK9 Keyboard [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Listening to the demo made me actually realise once again how much i like the current Korg sound

Both arrangers sounded really really good however, i think its a personal preference but the arrangements on the Pa900 sounded much more ballanced... Same for the solo instruments..

I dont think one could make a mistake in buying any of these 2 ..... And since you can addapt sound to your pesonal preferences, i think i would end up doing a feature comparison between these two and the yamaha s950 if i where in the market for a motl arranger...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#382606 - 01/26/14 11:08 AM Re: Korg PA900 vs Roland BK9 Keyboard [Re: Bachus]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
First let me say that if one is going to compare 2 KBs, the voices used in EACH comparison should be the same, no? ... not organ on one KB and guitar on the other, or guitar on one and vibes on the other ...play the same melody with the same - or most similar - style, using the same voices ...
Second, I think some of the sax voices on the KORG are a little 'wanting'... I still think some of the sax voices on my kn6000 are better ...
All that being said, I to my ears the KORG sounded considerably better ... that could be my current KORG bias, but I don't think so ... keys rocker

#382607 - 01/26/14 11:15 AM Re: Korg PA900 vs Roland BK9 Keyboard [Re: Dnj]
jp47 Offline

Loc: Québec Can.
Thanks dnj!

I have listen to all videos and must say each arranger has strong and weak sides.

The s950 has very good sounds specialy organs,but over all it sounds as if I was listening to a cd , no life.

The pa900 very live sounds but often styles sounds like a juxtaposition of instruments all played at the same level.

The BK-9 has the best styles, a lot of nuances, even if the balance between style and solo wasn't set right. Best piano, drums and bass of all but realy not as good as the two others for the other instuments.

#382610 - 01/26/14 11:29 AM Re: Korg PA900 vs Roland BK9 Keyboard [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Having listened to all the demos posted on this and other sites of various brands of arranger keyboards and synths, plus playing a pretty good number of the latest arrangers keyboards first hand, I've always felt the definition of a "LIVE" sounding keyboard was one that was one where the sounds were harsher and unpolished, somewhat louder within the styles themselves, and sharper sounding, often to the point of being a bit distorted. Now, I have yet to hear the 900 in person, but I have listened to a lot of demos. Personally, I don't hear enough difference between all of the MOTL and TOTL arrangers to sway me one way or another, and if I'm not impressed, I know my audiences will not be impressed.

From the standpoint of a full-time musician/singer/entertainer the question that begs to be answered is "Will I sound any better to my audiences?" For me, the obvious answer is NO! At least not enough to make a significant difference and justify the financial outlay involved. But, maybe I'm just a lot easier to please when it comes to these situations. I would much rather put that money into my retirement account, which my loving wife of more than a half century will eventually withdraw and leisurely piss away on jewelry or some other crazy things. I guess that's why every time I go out and test drive another keyboard she always says "What's wrong with the ones you have?" Of course, I try to evade the question, but she is absolutely right.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#382613 - 01/26/14 11:50 AM Re: Korg PA900 vs Roland BK9 Keyboard [Re: travlin'easy]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Having listened to all the demos posted on this and other sites of various brands of arranger keyboards and synths, plus playing a pretty good number of the latest arrangers keyboards first hand, I've always felt the definition of a "LIVE" sounding keyboard was one that was one where the sounds were harsher and unpolished, somewhat louder within the styles themselves, and sharper sounding, often to the point of being a bit distorted. Now, I have yet to hear the 900 in person, but I have listened to a lot of demos. Personally, I don't hear enough difference between all of the MOTL and TOTL arrangers to sway me one way or another, and if I'm not impressed, I know my audiences will not be impressed.

From the standpoint of a full-time musician/singer/entertainer the question that begs to be answered is "Will I sound any better to my audiences?" For me, the obvious answer is NO! At least not enough to make a significant difference and justify the financial outlay involved. But, maybe I'm just a lot easier to please when it comes to these situations. I would much rather put that money into my retirement account, which my loving wife of more than a half century will eventually withdraw and leisurely piss away on jewelry or some other crazy things. I guess that's why every time I go out and test drive another keyboard she always says "What's wrong with the ones you have?" Of course, I try to evade the question, but she is absolutely right.

Cheers,

Gary cool

You will not hear much difference between a brands motl and totl arrangers..

However in the PA900 vs PA3x comparrison its obvious that the d/a converters of the pa900 or of lower quallity making everything sound just a tad less dynamic.

The biggest difference however between motl and totl mostly comes from the pro feautures in the top model, like in Korgs example... Ballanced XLR outputs, a sampler, better keybed, sliders, better harmoniser, and stuff like that... But the siund engine and the style engine are both exactly the same.... Oh and keep in mind that the price difference between a PA900 for 1800 euro and a pA3x for 2600 euro is much more in proportions compared to the excesive price of the Tyros5 for 4000 euro vs the Psr s950 for 1900 euro..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#382614 - 01/26/14 11:54 AM Re: Korg PA900 vs Roland BK9 Keyboard [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'm sitting here with PA3X and BK9 side by side. Love them both. For different reasons of course.

#382616 - 01/26/14 11:56 AM Re: Korg PA900 vs Roland BK9 Keyboard [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
I'm sitting here with PA3X and BK9 side by side. Love them both. For different reasons of course.

Don good luck with your new BK9 cant wait for demo videos country style...Hurry!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online