SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#381638 - 01/17/14 05:53 AM Re: Yamaha Audio in Styles [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
I wish I recorded something with the Yamaha styles before I pushed it off on poor Donny.
wink

Oh baby push away ......I love the S-950 "FOR NOW" and in two weeks I will break my own personal record by keeping it for
1 year party..........yes it has features that must be "Worked around on stage" But that is with all units of any brand....but all in all I can deal with it. Who knows what the next S series will be ...I hear rumors it will happen at NAMM next week confused1 ....The S-960 is a light weight feature packed gigging machine. I haven't played the BK9 but aside from that nothing else excites me at this time.

#381682 - 01/17/14 10:51 AM Re: Yamaha Audio in Styles [Re: DannyUK]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The Korg PA3x has the ideal solution to the issue, IMO.

It's best drum KITS have ambiance sampled into the sound, BUT there's a control for how much... So you can go all the way from that 70's bone dry sound to the 40's and 50's 'everybody in the one room' type sound (listen to any Spector, too!). Roland's drums all have a BIT of ambiance sampled in, but you can't increase or decrease it. Admittedly, to my ears they get it right, but Korg allows you to increase or decrease it when it isn't quite right.

Those Yamaha loops sound so drenched, sort of 'look what WE did!' shoving it in your face, but the truth is, outside of a recording, where you could put a big room around all the OTHER Parts, for most live players, it's too much. Either the arranger needs a MUCH better room reverb processor, something that could put the same ambiance round the MIDI Parts that is sampled into the loops, or the loops need taming to where they match the ambiance the arranger IS capable of matching...

The latter is the easier, less expensive solution.

#381721 - 01/17/14 02:10 PM Re: Yamaha Audio in Styles [Re: DannyUK]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The style I used was one of the swing styles.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#381728 - 01/17/14 02:34 PM Re: Yamaha Audio in Styles [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
... thank you ...

#381745 - 01/17/14 07:25 PM Re: Yamaha Audio in Styles [Re: DannyUK]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada

Here is one new drum kit for T5.It is an old Bosnian song so I had to play it traditionally.I just want to show you drums.It is not audio drums.It is Dynamix Vulgar Drums.I just changed dum kit with some swing style.No editing at all.Of course there were mistakes.First take..

https://soundcloud.com/mirza-mesanovic/hanuma-impro-1

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#381746 - 01/17/14 07:33 PM Re: Yamaha Audio in Styles [Re: DannyUK]
travlin'easy Offline

Sounds good to me.

Gary

#381768 - 01/18/14 06:54 AM Re: Yamaha Audio in Styles [Re: DannyUK]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Tony, the 900 swing styles are a tad busy for my taste, but I thinned them out, or got used to them. I forget the name of my "go-to" jazz beat, but it's fine ... not as smooth as I'd like. I need a simple, elegant background so I can do whatever I want with the chords in my right hand. Unlike many players ... I primarily create the bulk of the arrangement with my right hand, and play very few melodies. (My voice does that) The interaction of the bass and the chords creates the groove factor for me, so I want the drums to just be a timekeeper. Again ... like RIngo.
smile
And to answer a question a ways back ... not sure if Ringo can swing, but I'd like to hear him try because he has a reputation of playing exactly what's needed. In my heart, I think he can do it. Listen to some of the things he played ... not your typical beat-maker at all. Try to play "in my life" note for note as he does ... it's very complex, but you don't realize it because it's woven so perfectly within the arrangement.
I like a simple ride cymbal, steady back-beat on the hats, almost no bass drum and minimal accents on the snare. I can play almost any tune with that kind of backing and make it fresh each time, with the elements that I add.

#381772 - 01/18/14 08:19 AM Re: Yamaha Audio in Styles [Re: Uncle Dave]
tony mads usa Offline

I need a simple, elegant background

... less is more, as is often the case ...

Dave, I am SO sure I played a 'Jazz Brush' style on the 900 that had the 4 bar drum solos (with brushes) in variation 4 like the BeBop style ... is this jazz brush style on the 900 or was I just dreaming it ?!? ...

Edited by tony mads usa (01/18/14 08:20 AM)

#381774 - 01/18/14 08:24 AM Re: Yamaha Audio in Styles [Re: DannyUK]
travlin'easy Offline

One of the things I really liked about the S950's audio swing style was that is was very clean, polished, uncluttered and like Dave, I rely on my vocals for my melodies. If I lost my singing ability tomorrow morning, tomorrow evening all my gear would be on Ebay.

Gary cool

#381784 - 01/18/14 09:58 AM Re: Yamaha Audio in Styles [Re: tony mads usa]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
I need a simple, elegant background

... less is more, as is often the case ...
Dave, I am SO sure I played a 'Jazz Brush' style on the 900 that had the 4 bar drum solos (with brushes) in variation 4 like the BeBop style ... is this jazz brush style on the 900 or was I just dreaming it ?!? ...

FOUND IT !!! ... it is the "Acoustic Jazz" style !!! dance2 ... I know I'm the only one who cares, but that's all right, at least I know I wasn't dreaming it ... bounce

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online