SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#381494 - 01/15/14 01:41 PM Re: G70 still sounds great 18 years after release...! [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
A reply that ignores when it has already been provided... OK. Whatever.

#381495 - 01/15/14 01:41 PM Re: G70 still sounds great 18 years after release...! [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Sound will always be subjective, and in most cases, highly personal.

I like my Tyros4 for it's overall sound quality and character, and that's why it sits here in my apartment...it only has to please me.

If it isn't what someone else chooses...that's not my problem.

If you love how your keyboard sounds, you will also tend to spend more time on it, and that has many benefits, not the least of which, is better playing skills.

I thought the G-70 sounded fine, and would still sound great today...but, then again, so would a Tyros or a Korg PA of the same vintage.

Going back and listening to the factory based demos of your present keyboard can be a sure cure for wanting something new.

Ian

#381501 - 01/15/14 01:52 PM Re: G70 still sounds great 18 years after release...! [Re: ianmcnll]
Diki Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

Going back and listening to the factory based demos of your present keyboard can be a sure cure for wanting something new.

Ian

Fantastic advice. Kudos.

#381508 - 01/15/14 01:57 PM Re: G70 still sounds great 18 years after release...! [Re: Diki]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Better yet...go back and listen to your own recordings... smile

#381528 - 01/15/14 03:36 PM Re: G70 still sounds great 18 years after release...! [Re: Fran Carango]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
Better yet...go back and listen to your own recordings... smile

I do THAT a lot. I have come to the conclusion that I sound best on Ketron, Roland, Korg, Yamaha, in that order. The difference between Ketron and Roland is not that much, nor is the difference between Roland and Korg.
Right now Korg seems to have the total package I like best, taking into consideration sound, weight, controls, ease of operation and vocal processing. There are trade-offs in every category between every brand.
Hammer is bringing his BK 9 for me to play with in the next few days. I expect to like it. I expect to not like it as well as PA3X. We'll see!

#381537 - 01/15/14 04:48 PM Re: G70 still sounds great 18 years after release...! [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I sound absolutely fantastic on any brand. Mainly cause it's me they came to hear, not the keyboard. I must sound fantastic, otherwise I wouldn't be booked two years in advance.

And lets be realistic, the weight of the keyboard's shell has absolutely nothing to do with overall sound quality or build quality. A carbon fiber case could hold the same contents as a steel case, weigh half as much and sound identical. And, the carbon fiber case would be twice as strong - so weight is meaningless.

Corvettes are made of fiberglass, very lightweight, and very expensive. But a Shelby Cobra is made from aluminum, weighs far less, but the performance far exceeds the vet. Then there was the Griffith, which was also made of fiberglass and housed a big block V8 - I rode in one and it was like being strapped to a rocket sled. Unbelievable, but that lightweight car only stayed around for about a decade before it was taken off the market. It was one of the most incredible performance cars on the road and track. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TVR_Griffith

A lot of newer sailboats now have carbon fiber masts instead of aluminum or hardwood. They're far stronger, much, much lighter than either, and because of their incredible strength, no support cables are required to absorb the stress of the sails, thus clearly demonstrating weight has no bearing on quality or structural integrity here either.

Give it a break guys - everyone knows weight is meaningless when it comes to anything other than precious metals and gemstones.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#381578 - 01/16/14 01:11 PM Re: G70 still sounds great 18 years after release...! [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Seen the price of carbon fiber stuff?!

Not all of us can afford that!

I know you play incredibly lightly, Gary (you've said as much in many posts about the S950's action), the problem with being TOO light is that the keyboard doesn't have enough mass to stay in place if you are playing hard on it at one end OR the other (both at the same time balances out!).

Unless you have a stand with legs at all four corners, at least for us stronger players, those 15lbs keyboards simply won't stop moving!

#381589 - 01/16/14 02:39 PM Re: G70 still sounds great 18 years after release...! [Re: Diki]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Gary, you are right, weight doesn't have anything to do with sound quality...but build quality..it has everything to do with.....

Weight has everything to do with playability..a responsive keyfeel...weighs more..and as Diki says...a keyboard can't keep moving around on you while playing..

Every keyboard I have owned that weighed under 25 pounds...just moves..either on an Apex or X stand..My V-stand holds the best..

The other side...my late MediaStation didn't move at all..followed by the G70..
I also noticed 76 key models seam more stable..and naturally a little heavier..Even the 27 pound E-60 stayed put..but the E-50 (20 pounds) did not..
10 pound controllers are almost a joke to keep still..as were the under 20 pound Juno stuff...also the 16 pound BK5 and Prelude..
With my experience..maybe that is why I want the heavier G70 on stage..

BTW: Gary, you are talking to a long time motor head.. smile

You need to do more research..Corvette models like the ZR1, C06, and C7...get on youtube and see the match ups with the likes of ferrari, Porsche etc..
I have a long history of powerful muscle cars. incuding an older Shelby 427 mustang, 428 Cobrajet Mustanges, Boss 429 Mustangs, and many big block Chevys.....My best performer was a 1969 425 horse SS 396..that ran low elevens in a quarter mile...at near 130 MPH.
PS: I was a two time New Jersey State champion ..too..

Now I put around with my V-6 SUV.. grin

#381598 - 01/16/14 04:26 PM Re: G70 still sounds great 18 years after release...! [Re: Dnj]
rosetree
Unregistered

Same with loudspeakers, the heavier the ... EXCEPT!!!: Bose Sounddock portable. (Sorry to bring that up again...)

#381601 - 01/16/14 05:25 PM Re: G70 still sounds great 18 years after release...! [Re: Fran Carango]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
Every keyboard I have owned that weighed under 25 pounds...just moves..either on an Apex or X stand..My V-stand holds the best..
With my experience..maybe that is why I want the heavier G70 on stage..

Fran, what happened to the BK-9 you were considering?

If you returned it, what was the reason? Certainly not because it was too light?

Ian

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online