SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#381484 - 01/15/14 01:32 PM Re: Kurzweil anyone.....? [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
For me, around 35 lbs (in a soft case) is my limit. I did a private tutorial/clinic on a Tyros5-76 for several hours yesterday, and I must say, for the high quality of construction, and the excellent FSX 76-note keyboard action, it is a very reasonable 35 lbs or so in it's case.

If I was wanting/needing a 76'er for my work, I'd get one right away without hesitation.

Anything over 40-45 lbs is getting a bit on the heavy side, especially if the instrument is bulky.

I don't miss dragging a Rhodes around...it seemed to double in weight during a gig.

Ian

ian whats the difference or limit using a Rock N Roller kart to gigs?

http://rocknroller-multicart.myshopify.com/

#381485 - 01/15/14 01:33 PM Re: Kurzweil anyone.....? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I NEVER carry my G70 in the case alone. It either gets dollied, or I get help (always a busboy around if you need one!).

For me, there's a MINIMUM weight I need in a keyboard. I play with sufficient force and weight to easily make some of these new 15lbs ultra-lightweights bounce around on the stand. At least 76's allow you to have the stand wider, and support the ends, not the middle...

The thing many of us forget about the 'good old days' when men were men and we all hauled C3's around under one arm (LOL), even THEN there were lightER weight keyboards available. But they didn't SOUND as good! So we sucked it up, and got what sounded best.

Seems, the older we get, the more we are willing to make that compromise.

#381488 - 01/15/14 01:35 PM Re: Kurzweil anyone.....? [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
I NEVER carry my G70 in the case alone. It either gets dollied, or I get help (always a busboy around if you need one!).

try finding a busboy in a NH.. laugh2

#381493 - 01/15/14 01:40 PM Re: Kurzweil anyone.....? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Not trying to find ANYTHING in a NH... LOL

#381505 - 01/15/14 01:54 PM Re: Kurzweil anyone.....? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Donny, I've never used a cart...the closest I got to that was the dolly/handles on my old Hammond B-3 and we had a wooden board with wheels on it for heavy stuff that didn't have wheels.

For the solo stuff, I was never in that much of a rush when loading/breaking down gear...I always made sure I had lots of time, and carts aren't much use on stairs.

Nothing wrong with using one...it just wasn't for me.

My speakers are 25 lbs each, plus the Tyros4 is 30 lbs...that's the heaviest stuff I have right now. I'm in reasonably good shape for being nearly 65, so I don't mind a bit of lugging.

Ian

#381509 - 01/15/14 01:57 PM Re: Kurzweil anyone.....? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Fortunately in the US, handicapped access laws have made lugging gear up stairs almost a thing of the past. Especially in such a retiree friendly state as Florida!

I honestly can't remember the last time I had to deal with a big flight of stairs alone (or even aided, come to think of it).

#381511 - 01/15/14 02:04 PM Re: Kurzweil anyone.....? [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Two years ago we had a gig at a fancy place..the stage was..I kid you not ..2 and a half stories high..and access was 2 curved stairways..one on each side of the stage....I had a RandR kart...but it was of no use...and Yes I had the G70 with me, and a pair of Roland Cubes..besides the band gear..

Whew!!! At the end of the night when we had all the gear on the ground level....a manager says..."the busboys love to help haul gear".. shocked

#381512 - 01/15/14 02:05 PM Re: Kurzweil anyone.....? [Re: Diki]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: Diki

I honestly can't remember the last time I had to deal with a big flight of stairs alone (or even aided, come to think of it).

... that's the FUTURE !!! ... laugh2

#381514 - 01/15/14 02:14 PM Re: Kurzweil anyone.....? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I'm sure I'm not saying anything new to fellow SZ'ers in that it's also very important HOW you lift something. Carrying equal weight in each hand makes a big difference, as well as having good roomy handles on the stuff you are lifting, so you can get your fingers right around them.

Balance is everything, especially where the back is concerned, as well as the well known bending the knees when lifting.

I carry my Tyros4 (in it's case) in one hand, and my books, cables, music stand and base, sustain and volume pedals etc. in another similar equal size case...they weigh the same so are easy to carry.

My HD Double X-stand and bench are in two cases (with handles), and then there's my two speakers in custom cases (ditto on the handles) in the other. Three trips at most, stairs or no stairs.

It's not for everyone, especially if you are doing multiple gigs and are in a hurry.

I stopped hurrying years ago, and now that I'm retired, I hurry even less.

Ian

#381518 - 01/15/14 02:42 PM Re: Kurzweil anyone.....? [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Donny, I've never used a cart...the closest I got to that was the dolly/handles on my old Hammond B-3 and we had a wooden board with wheels on it for heavy stuff that didn't have wheels.

For the solo stuff, I was never in that much of a rush when loading/breaking down gear...I always made sure I had lots of time, and carts aren't much use on stairs.

Nothing wrong with using one...it just wasn't for me.

My speakers are 25 lbs each, plus the Tyros4 is 30 lbs...that's the heaviest stuff I have right now. I'm in reasonably good shape for being nearly 65, so I don't mind a bit of lugging.

Ian

If I'm correct you dont gig every day?.....that thought of no kart would change if this was the case..

Edited by Dnj (01/15/14 02:42 PM)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online