Kurzweil anyone.....?

Posted by: Dnj

Kurzweil anyone.....? - 01/14/14 06:42 AM

http://kurzweil.com/products/

Posted by: Bill Lewis

Re: Kurzweil anyone.....? - 01/14/14 07:51 AM

Artis looks like a nice home or studio piano/controller but the players who still want to gig with a 46 lb. keyboard are very limited. Everything is about the Nords, Casios, and new Hammond Xk1, Roland VR9. All super lightweight.

You are definately and example of the light and sounds right school. So am I.

My Casio Privia 350 with weighted keys is great for home and if I need to easy to gig with.

Re: Kurzweil anyone.....? - 01/14/14 08:02 AM

My speaker weigh more then my kb...lol..I still got muscles from gigging with the G70 haha surprised
Posted by: hammer

Re: Kurzweil anyone.....? - 01/14/14 11:00 AM

Donny,
This is very interesting. It was a Kurzweil 88 I heard being played on a cruise about 10 years ago that got me started playing music again. I was totally fascinated by all the sounds the guy was producing. Came home a month later bought a PSR3000 - never looked back. Shame it is so heavy.

Deane

Re: Kurzweil anyone.....? - 01/14/14 11:14 AM

Originally Posted By: hammer
Donny,
This is very interesting. It was a Kurzweil 88 I heard being played on a cruise about 10 years ago that got me started playing music again. I was totally fascinated by all the sounds the guy was producing. Came home a month later bought a PSR3000 - never looked back. Shame it is so heavy.

Deane

Deanne.....Kurtzweil units have some amazing sounds and production features, used by many pros all around the world..Top notch all the way!! keys headphone keys
Posted by: vangelis

Re: Kurzweil anyone.....? - 01/14/14 03:23 PM

Kurzweil was always a good product, especially the K2 series, but it's a shame they stopped making them, and the sampler was very small compared to all the other brands.
Posted by: Robbo

Re: Kurzweil anyone.....? - 01/14/14 05:06 PM

Pitty they couldn't take a note from rye Red Devils themselves Nord, get the weight and size down and the screen with the menu navigations you need to make, make it a much more difficult instrument of the fly
Posted by: cassp

Re: Kurzweil anyone.....? - 01/14/14 06:24 PM

I always said all bets were off if Kurzweil ever puts out an arranger. Don't want to hear about using it as a controller with a BK-7m or MidJay, I'm sure that would be dynamite too, but I'm talking about a stand-alone arranger to rival s950/Tyros5, PAx4/PA800 or even G-70/BK-9. I've owned a PC 88, a SP3 and a Mark 5; there are no better sounds and OS to be had.
Posted by: john smies

Re: Kurzweil anyone.....? - 01/15/14 01:17 AM

Any views anyone on the KURZWEIL PC3 LE6, in particular in comparison to the Yamaha MOXF6 and the Korg Krome.
It is even cheaper than either of these.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU8sQ-XG2gM

regards,
John
Posted by: Diki

Re: Kurzweil anyone.....? - 01/15/14 12:19 PM

Please! Can we get off the weight thing... The vast majority of players who will buy a Kurzweil are not so elderly that they can't hump a 45lbs keyboard!

Sure, OK, for the NH 'entertainer' who is up there close to their audience's age, it's a bit much. But, OTOH, what NH OMB is going to want one of these anyway?

You should try moving my fully loaded K2500S... 55lbs! The studio's K2500X(88) - 72lbs. And a TON of pros used those!

Re: Kurzweil anyone.....? - 01/15/14 12:30 PM

Diki why so angry today?.....chill baby!
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Kurzweil anyone.....? - 01/15/14 12:30 PM

... to think my Rhodes 73 was my gig board ... about 150 POUNDS
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Kurzweil anyone.....? - 01/15/14 12:39 PM

I carried my Rhodes, Clav and HUGE speakers up 23 steps for a steady job, years ago! It was an after hours club ... no elevator. THAT'S why I no longer want to shlep the monsters.

Re: Kurzweil anyone.....? - 01/15/14 01:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Diki why so angry today?.....chill baby!

Talk about an 'assumption'!

Nobody's angry. Merely pointing out that weight is so inconsequential in the WS market.

Re: Kurzweil anyone.....? - 01/15/14 01:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
I carried my Rhodes, Clav and HUGE speakers up 23 steps for a steady job, years ago! It was an after hours club ... no elevator. THAT'S why I no longer want to shlep the monsters.

Our worst was playing gigs in Fort Hamilton in Brooklyn ... two long flights of stone stairs with risers 10 to 12 inches high ... AH YOUTH ... and STRENGTH ...

Re: Kurzweil anyone.....? - 01/15/14 01:13 PM

Try a B3 up outside steel stairs with snow and ice on them!

The band made me be on the bottom end, so if it let go, my gear only killed ME!
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Kurzweil anyone.....? - 01/15/14 01:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave

The Club Demi...always had a lot of help to haul gear... smile

Re: Kurzweil anyone.....? - 01/15/14 01:21 PM

we all shlugged gear years ago because that was all there was ....tube mother boards were the craze vs solid state and chips....
years ago I gigged with a B3, 147 leslie, Rhodes, Juno 60 on top with a Fender bassman yes the tall one with piggy back.....so what.
even though my speakers weigh more then the s950 they have handles and are easier to transport on a kart...doing single gigs once in a while isn't everyday trench work in and out setting up gear , stands , etc.. many times 2x a day.....its more convenience then anything else with lighter weight.....got a house bases gig never move the gear fine...its all about what you do as a performer.

Re: Kurzweil anyone.....? - 01/15/14 01:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Diki
Try a B3 up outside steel stairs with snow and ice on them!

The band made me be on the bottom end, so if it let go, my gear only killed ME!

What could be worse than hauling Hammonds to home demos....I had to have a partner and share commissions...just for the help to get it in the home.. smile

Funny, I just mentioned to my wife yesterday..how I would like to play Columbus Mart or PennFruit...or some of my old demo gigs again..
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: Kurzweil anyone.....? - 01/15/14 01:26 PM

For me, around 35 lbs (in a soft case) is my limit. I did a private tutorial/clinic on a Tyros5-76 for several hours yesterday, and I must say, for the high quality of construction, and the excellent FSX 76-note keyboard action, it is a very reasonable 35 lbs or so in it's case.

If I was wanting/needing a 76'er for my work, I'd get one right away without hesitation.

Anything over 40-45 lbs is getting a bit on the heavy side, especially if the instrument is bulky.

I don't miss dragging a Rhodes around...it seemed to double in weight during a gig.

Ian

Re: Kurzweil anyone.....? - 01/15/14 01:32 PM

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
For me, around 35 lbs (in a soft case) is my limit. I did a private tutorial/clinic on a Tyros5-76 for several hours yesterday, and I must say, for the high quality of construction, and the excellent FSX 76-note keyboard action, it is a very reasonable 35 lbs or so in it's case.

If I was wanting/needing a 76'er for my work, I'd get one right away without hesitation.

Anything over 40-45 lbs is getting a bit on the heavy side, especially if the instrument is bulky.

I don't miss dragging a Rhodes around...it seemed to double in weight during a gig.

Ian

ian whats the difference or limit using a Rock N Roller kart to gigs?

http://rocknroller-multicart.myshopify.com/

Re: Kurzweil anyone.....? - 01/15/14 01:33 PM

I NEVER carry my G70 in the case alone. It either gets dollied, or I get help (always a busboy around if you need one!).

For me, there's a MINIMUM weight I need in a keyboard. I play with sufficient force and weight to easily make some of these new 15lbs ultra-lightweights bounce around on the stand. At least 76's allow you to have the stand wider, and support the ends, not the middle...

The thing many of us forget about the 'good old days' when men were men and we all hauled C3's around under one arm (LOL), even THEN there were lightER weight keyboards available. But they didn't SOUND as good! So we sucked it up, and got what sounded best.

Seems, the older we get, the more we are willing to make that compromise.

Re: Kurzweil anyone.....? - 01/15/14 01:35 PM

I NEVER carry my G70 in the case alone. It either gets dollied, or I get help (always a busboy around if you need one!).

try finding a busboy in a NH.. laugh2

Re: Kurzweil anyone.....? - 01/15/14 01:40 PM

Not trying to find ANYTHING in a NH... LOL

Re: Kurzweil anyone.....? - 01/15/14 01:54 PM

Donny, I've never used a cart...the closest I got to that was the dolly/handles on my old Hammond B-3 and we had a wooden board with wheels on it for heavy stuff that didn't have wheels.

For the solo stuff, I was never in that much of a rush when loading/breaking down gear...I always made sure I had lots of time, and carts aren't much use on stairs.

Nothing wrong with using one...it just wasn't for me.

My speakers are 25 lbs each, plus the Tyros4 is 30 lbs...that's the heaviest stuff I have right now. I'm in reasonably good shape for being nearly 65, so I don't mind a bit of lugging.

Ian

Re: Kurzweil anyone.....? - 01/15/14 01:57 PM

Fortunately in the US, handicapped access laws have made lugging gear up stairs almost a thing of the past. Especially in such a retiree friendly state as Florida!

I honestly can't remember the last time I had to deal with a big flight of stairs alone (or even aided, come to think of it).

Re: Kurzweil anyone.....? - 01/15/14 02:04 PM

Two years ago we had a gig at a fancy place..the stage was..I kid you not ..2 and a half stories high..and access was 2 curved stairways..one on each side of the stage....I had a RandR kart...but it was of no use...and Yes I had the G70 with me, and a pair of Roland Cubes..besides the band gear..

Whew!!! At the end of the night when we had all the gear on the ground level....a manager says..."the busboys love to help haul gear".. shocked

Re: Kurzweil anyone.....? - 01/15/14 02:05 PM

I honestly can't remember the last time I had to deal with a big flight of stairs alone (or even aided, come to think of it).

... that's the FUTURE !!! ... laugh2

Re: Kurzweil anyone.....? - 01/15/14 02:14 PM

I'm sure I'm not saying anything new to fellow SZ'ers in that it's also very important HOW you lift something. Carrying equal weight in each hand makes a big difference, as well as having good roomy handles on the stuff you are lifting, so you can get your fingers right around them.

Balance is everything, especially where the back is concerned, as well as the well known bending the knees when lifting.

I carry my Tyros4 (in it's case) in one hand, and my books, cables, music stand and base, sustain and volume pedals etc. in another similar equal size case...they weigh the same so are easy to carry.

My HD Double X-stand and bench are in two cases (with handles), and then there's my two speakers in custom cases (ditto on the handles) in the other. Three trips at most, stairs or no stairs.

It's not for everyone, especially if you are doing multiple gigs and are in a hurry.

I stopped hurrying years ago, and now that I'm retired, I hurry even less.

Ian

Re: Kurzweil anyone.....? - 01/15/14 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Donny, I've never used a cart...the closest I got to that was the dolly/handles on my old Hammond B-3 and we had a wooden board with wheels on it for heavy stuff that didn't have wheels.

For the solo stuff, I was never in that much of a rush when loading/breaking down gear...I always made sure I had lots of time, and carts aren't much use on stairs.

Nothing wrong with using one...it just wasn't for me.

My speakers are 25 lbs each, plus the Tyros4 is 30 lbs...that's the heaviest stuff I have right now. I'm in reasonably good shape for being nearly 65, so I don't mind a bit of lugging.

Ian

If I'm correct you dont gig every day?.....that thought of no kart would change if this was the case..

Re: Kurzweil anyone.....? - 01/15/14 02:53 PM

It sure would change, but I've never booked a schedule that was that tight where I had to hurry with set-up and tear-down.

When I was doing clinics, and we had multiple arrangers plus a sound system, the store guys always took in/out the gear for us.

The most personal gigs I did in a day was three, and they were well spaced apart.

My motto has always been, "Life should be sipped, not gulped".

Ian