SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#380295 - 01/01/14 11:09 PM Ketron Modules:what are they like?
Denv12 Offline

As I'm looking at buying one of the Ketron sound modules I'd like to hear from anyone who uses one.What are they like? Are they simple to use? On a youtube video I couldnt see a screen on the SD1000.Do these or even the KlaviPro, SD2,SD4 need an ipad/computer to be used while playing the piano? Please tell me what they are like.

Chris.

Edited by Denv12 (01/01/14 11:26 PM)
Edit Reason: added info.

#380302 - 01/02/14 02:26 AM Re: Ketron Modules:what are they like? [Re: Denv12]
DAN.2000 Offline

Loc: FRANCE
The SD2, SD1000, KlaviPro does not have any screens or buttons.
Your keyboard, or your computer, or your ipad need to send program changes to select sounds, etc...

The SD4 has some buttons on it to change sounds.

I have created a PC software called vArranger that you see on this video, who give you access to all the power of the Ketron sound modules.

Not only selecting the sounds well grouped by sound categories.
But also adding a full realtime arranger, who can play Ketron, Yamaha, Roland styles (and soon Korg)

Dan
https://www.varranger.com

#380316 - 01/02/14 12:14 PM Re: Ketron Modules:what are they like? [Re: DAN.2000]
Denv12 Offline

Thank you Dan.

On my Roland RD700SX it has a decent display screen that shows each sound,drumbeat,etc,so is that all I need to use for the Ketron modules?

Thanks again Dan.

#380335 - 01/02/14 03:25 PM Re: Ketron Modules:what are they like? [Re: Denv12]
rosetree
Unregistered

No, the RD700 display doesn't help. We had a similar discussion in the general arranger forum about using a Ketron module with a Roland BK-9. In order to select the sounds you want in the Ketron module, you need to send a specific midi command from the master keyboard (in your case RD700). You can get the information about the midi command (bank + program change value) for each sound from the Ketron sound list. On the other hand, the Roland RD 700 sound list gives you information about the bank/program change values of the Roland sounds you select. Some of the values might match, so for example selecting a specific Roland e-piano might make the Ketron module select a specific sound (not necessarily e-piano as well!). You certainly won't be able to select all of the Ketron sounds from the Roland, so it's not a satisfactory combination. If you had a keyboard with advanced master functions (e.g. the Yamaha MoX(F) can store master locations including bank/program change values), you could address all Ketron sounds.
If you have an iPAD, it's easy to operate the Ketron from the app 'Set list maker', as this app can store these values for each song in the set list.

#380344 - 01/02/14 06:40 PM Re: Ketron Modules:what are they like? [Re: ]
Denv12 Offline

Thanks for the heads up on this.It sounds like the Ketron is going to mess up my budget purely because it needs an ipad.My computer is in my bedroom as i dont have the space in the lounge room for everything.Its crowded in there as it is.

My problem is money.
I have enough to get a decent module but not enough to start buying extras like ipads.

I was looking into the Roland SD-50.Its their latest.Just dont want to end up with the same 30 electric piano sounds that are already on the piano.

Thanks for the info.

Chris.

#380357 - 01/02/14 10:15 PM Re: Ketron Modules:what are they like? [Re: ]
Denv12 Offline

I thought more about this.What about using a thing called a tablet,sort of ipad look alike? These are on special for under $100.Are these set up the same way as an ipad?

Just a thought.

#380379 - 01/03/14 07:17 AM Re: Ketron Modules:what are they like? [Re: Denv12]
rosetree
Unregistered

Tablet is the general term for iPAD and other touchscreen devices of this type; if you buy an iPAD or an android-based tablet, only some standard software is installed, nothing music-specific. For the iPAD you can download "Set list maker", which allows you to operate the Ketron as I described. But for other tablets I don't know if a comparable app exists. I found an app for android tablets called 'set list creator', but it doesn't appear to have midi functionality, which you would need for the Ketron.
If you thought about the Roland SD-50, check the prices for used SonicCells, too! The SonicCell offers much more than the SD-50, you can supplement it with 2 SRX boards (which is of course not cheap either, but it's a valuable option).

#380470 - 01/03/14 12:43 PM Re: Ketron Modules:what are they like? [Re: ]
Denv12 Offline

The Ketron is looking expensive even before I buy one.My budget is around $700 for now.I'm not likely to afford to go higher.I have to be able to buy a module,plug it in and start playing all for up to $700 at the most.

Tablets are on special under $100 right now.Cant afford an ipad.They are over $300 and upwards.

The Roland sonic cell is way out of my budget.I wrote that one off.My budget is $700.

I never buy 2nd hand gear.I cant afford someone elses problems if something is wrong.

Thanks for the advice.Looks like the Ketron is a no go.

#380587 - 01/05/14 03:37 AM Re: Ketron Modules:what are they like? [Re: Denv12]
rosetree
Unregistered

I think you could operate the Klavipro from the RD700. It only has a few piano/e-piano sounds which can normally be addressed by switching the sounds of the controller (in your case RD). I had one for a while.

#380686 - 01/05/14 06:19 PM Re: Ketron Modules:what are they like? [Re: ]
Denv12 Offline

I'll have to find one.I think the SD2 and the SD1000 are available here in OZ.I'm likely to go for more sounds though,especially electric piano sounds.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry, Ketron_AJ, Tonewheeldude 

Help keep Synth Zone Online