SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#380072 - 12/31/13 01:46 AM Mixers, mixers...
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Thse days I am spending all my spare time looking for gear on the Internet and can say that now my shopping list is almost complete.
Living in Europe, one of my favorite online stores is Thomann.
While browsing their catalogue, I was surprised to find two very good looking mixers at what seems an attractive price:

- the Behringer Xenyx X2442 USB at 325 euros

and the Soundcraft M12 (digital!) at 498 euros.

I am not shopping specifically for a mixer right now, but couldn't help but wonder how these prices look low (my only reference were the digital mixers by Yamaha, that still sell for 2000 euros or more.
Thoughts, anyone?

#380073 - 12/31/13 02:28 AM Re: Mixers, mixers... [Re: Dreamer]
kla4 Offline

Loc: NL
Hi Andrea,
Personally I had a few bad axperiences with the Behringer stuff, such as DOA (dead on arrival) and will never buy Behringer again.
Soundcraft and Mackie equipment is much more reliable. At this moment I have the almost smallest Mackie model the 802-VLZ3 that brings all functions/inputs/outputs I need. Routing is easy, EQ's and sends work fine and a clear sound without noise.

While performing I do not need a mixer because of the 2x Bose L1's (each having a built-in mixer)

Sometimes for PA-amplification I bring my (good-old) Yamaha AW1600 HD-recorder (digital) that offers me a 8-channel recorder, digital mixer including HQ FX's.

Edited by kla4 (12/31/13 02:35 AM)

#380074 - 12/31/13 04:48 AM Re: Mixers, mixers... [Re: Dreamer]
Bachus Offline

Why would you need a mixer if you are not in a band... (or a hardware recorder)

A good 16 channel soundcard and the right software can do the recording job just as well... espescially with touch screen technollogy, a large touchscreen can replace a mixer..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#380083 - 12/31/13 05:43 AM Re: Mixers, mixers... [Re: Dreamer]
kla4 Offline

At home I'm not in a band nor in a hardware recorder. I do have a good soundcard and 'right software' and especially NO touchscreen. Fortunately my PC can act like a mixing console if I want it to do so.
I have a couple of sound-sources and want to be able to control them without my PC and soundcard. That is why I need a mixer.... should not be too difficult to understand?

Edited by kla4 (12/31/13 05:46 AM)

#380084 - 12/31/13 05:50 AM Re: Mixers, mixers... [Re: kla4]
Dnj Offline

#380104 - 12/31/13 08:39 AM Re: Mixers, mixers... [Re: Dreamer]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I have had four Behringer mixers, and have had excellent luck with all of them. As far as I know, all but one is still in service after quite a few years.
I had a really small one, 6 channel I think, on which I broke the power adapter. I didn't repair it because the cost of a new one would have been about the same and I didn't need it anyway!
I also had a 12 channel and a 16 channel, both of which I used a lot with great results.
Having said all this, my local dealer no longer stocks Behringer because he had too many returns for service.

#380125 - 12/31/13 09:58 AM Re: Mixers, mixers... [Re: kla4]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: kla4
At home I'm not in a band nor in a hardware recorder. I do have a good soundcard and 'right software' and especially NO touchscreen. Fortunately my PC can act like a mixing console if I want it to do so.
I have a couple of sound-sources and want to be able to control them without my PC and soundcard. That is why I need a mixer.... should not be too difficult to understand?

It all depends on the person..

My PC is in the middle of my setup
Also takes care of all the midi routing
So utilizing the PC for the mixing is only logical in my opinion

And it saves me the cost of a good mixer..
I recently sold my Yamaha 03D as i never used it anymore
Saves me the space in my hobby room

But then most people arent ready to go the full digitall route.. These days its still a choice, but in a few years it will be all we know.. Saving space is a big issue..

having full controll over your Computer mixer requires however a good large touchscreen, i can see why you are still not convinced about computer mixers... try Windows 8 with a 32" touchscreen and you will be sold

Edited by Bachus (12/31/13 10:00 AM)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#380135 - 12/31/13 10:24 AM Re: Mixers, mixers... [Re: Dreamer]
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Why a touchscreen? Can't you just use the mouse?
Besides, I have a 27" (non touch) screen and am obsessed with fingerprints already.

#380146 - 12/31/13 11:17 AM Re: Mixers, mixers... [Re: Dreamer]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
First of all,those above mixers are not digital mixers.It all depends on the money too.But,Soundcraft and Allen&Heath are much better choice than Mackie or Behringer.Unless you want mixer from X32 family(Behringer).Which are digital mixers and are pretty good.In the same league there is also Soundcraft Expression and Allen&Heath q16.But all these are $2000 and up. There is Yamaha in there too with their 01v96i.It the same league with great preamps are also Presonus mixers.Actually, for me by far the best mixer under a grand is Presonus 1602.I would stay from Mackie digital mixer.It's effects are pretty bad.Good concept but what were they thinking with those effects.

But it all depends is what you need.For a studio it's better to invest in better soundcard with multiple in\outs.

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#380147 - 12/31/13 11:30 AM Re: Mixers, mixers... [Re: Dreamer]
kla4 Offline

Andrea,
There is absolutely no need to use a touchscreen. Mr. Bachus seems not to be able to understand other peoples' opinions and persists in promoting himself to the outer world as 'mister-knows-it-all'. Since years I use the digital domain (probably longer than Mr. Bachus).
I could send you a PM with a drawing/description of my setup that has a minimal footprint-size and limited costs.

Mirza is right saying to stay away from DSP mixers. For recording purposes use Cubase that has excellent effects.

Edited by kla4 (12/31/13 11:33 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online