SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#3795 - 01/23/06 11:17 AM Re: Is evevryone a serious musician?
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Quote:
Originally posted by analogcontrolfreak:
Now, do any of you play keyboards only for recording purposes and playing live only? Or do any of you do this for you own personal enjoyment?

...yes....

------------------
...shboom

#3796 - 01/23/06 11:59 AM Re: Is evevryone a serious musician?
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Regarding music being fun or not. Of coarse it is fun. It is a serious ass personal enjoyment and some of us are lucky enough to combine our hobbies with careers. Amen to that!

-ED-

PS
Paul,
Your last reply to my e-mail was somewhat rude and uncalled for. I don't deserve getting attitudes and cynical comments for simply answering your questions and giving advice on things that you asked me about to begin with. No matter what your personal problems and issues are they are not going to get solved by you lashing out at people who mean you no harm.

EDIT:
Ah! A simple misunderstanding. Ceace fire!

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 01-24-2006).]

#3797 - 01/23/06 06:07 PM Re: Is evevryone a serious musician?
analogcontrolfreak Offline

Sorry Ed, I do appologise for that. I did not realize I was coming off rude and cynincal. I had no right to do that, it was uncalled for. I don't expect you to forgive me for that. I know you were just trying to help.

#3798 - 01/24/06 04:38 AM Re: Is evevryone a serious musician?
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Cool.

-ED-

#3799 - 01/24/06 05:33 AM Re: Is evevryone a serious musician?

Okay, so maybe I wasn't asking the right sorts of questions?

I seem to be having or have had a technological meltdown, because there is so much out there, how does one decide what to get? I hate to admit this but, I am a bit of a technological klutz, (too put it mildly). I mean don't get me wrong, I can figure some stuff out, but not everything. Good grief, I couldn't even hook up MIDI properly, and I thought I knew what I was doing. Guess not, took someone like you to tell me that. Thanks! However there are some things that I can figure out, because they come naturally for me. For example: I can connect two TV's to one VCR or DVD player, and set up a computer. Though I may not understand how everything works, software wise. I can usually do stuff if I have instructions/directions or a diagram to follow. I'm a visual learner rather then an audio learner.

Okay so I was going into this thing blindly, with no clear direction or goal in mind. You are absolutely right I have absolutely no idea of what it is I want to do? I don't even have a specific style of music to play. What I do now is this. I like the idea of having a knob to grab and twist to mangle sounds. That's one of the reasons why I love the Minimoog. However, I also happen to like Triton le, because of it's arrp. What I mean is that, when you call up a particular sound that has a sequence loop, and you play a note or chord on the lower half of the keyboard, the loop plays automatically, until you lift your hands off the keyboard. I really love hardware synths because your are playing with something physically. Of course there is also something to be said for Software based synths as well. Infinite possibilities there.

I do have various tastes in music, form classical, to rock, pop, jazz, and electronic, new age/world and experimental. I'm not saying, I want to play all of these styles, it's just the ones that interest me. I spent many years taking piano lessons in the classical style. BOOORRRREEEEEIIIIINNNNNGGGGG!!!!!!!!! Plus there are too many rules. That's probably why there are so few young classically trained musicians. I took enough piano to read a keyboard, and with some luck sheet music, but don't plop a piece of music in front of me and expect me to play. I don’t work that way.

#3800 - 01/24/06 06:15 AM Re: Is evevryone a serious musician?
Sanvean Offline

Loc: UK
ROUND AND ROUND THE MULBERRY BUSH!
Over 2 years of the same old same old!

#3801 - 01/24/06 06:20 AM Re: Is evevryone a serious musician?

OOPS! Sorry, I wrote this for ed. Dang I keep getting into the same stinking rut. ARGGHHHH!!!! Will this nightmare ever end????

[This message has been edited by analogcontrolfreak (edited 01-24-2006).]

#3802 - 01/24/06 09:00 AM Re: Is evevryone a serious musician?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Play for pay....is personal enjoyment!!!

#3803 - 01/24/06 12:22 PM Re: Is evevryone a serious musician?
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Do we really have to be serious?????

Salud,

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#3804 - 01/25/06 05:43 AM Re: Is evevryone a serious musician?

No, you don't really have to be serious. You can be a complete goofball, if you want?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online