SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#379511 - 12/26/13 02:39 PM Re: Posting a performance on S-Z [Re: tony mads usa]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
"... hmmm... seems I might have read something like that somewhere ... oh yes, in my post when I opened this thread ... laugh2 ..."

Gosh Tony, I THOUGHT it sounded familiar smile smile smile. 'The mind is a terrible thing to lose'.
smile
chas

Edited by cgiles (12/26/13 02:44 PM)

#379515 - 12/26/13 03:02 PM Re: Posting a performance on S-Z [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: cgiles
"... hmmm... seems I might have read something like that somewhere ... oh yes, in my post when I opened this thread ... laugh2 ..."
Gosh Tony, I THOUGHT it sounded familiar smile smile smile. 'The mind is a terrible thing to lose'.
smile
chas

chas ... to be quoted by someone like you is an honor ... bow ... but it would have been nicer if you KNEW it ... rotfl

#379516 - 12/26/13 03:05 PM Re: Posting a performance on S-Z [Re: tony mads usa]
cgiles Offline

smile smile smile

#379517 - 12/26/13 03:14 PM Re: Posting a performance on S-Z [Re: brickboo]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By: brickboo
I could swing with you all night unless that's the only tune you can swing on.

Not at all Boo, I do a mean 'chopsticks', 'Mama sent me to the spring one day' and my personal favorite, 'Heart and Soul'.

smile

chas

#379522 - 12/26/13 05:56 PM Re: Posting a performance on S-Z [Re: cgiles]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: cgiles
Ian, no fair. That's cheating. Picking what may be one of the prettiest songs on the planet and then combining that with what is probably the best sax voice in all of synthdom . How can you miss? smile smile Just kidding though, beautiful job. Wish I could get your sax technique down.
chas

Thank you, Chas. I almost didn't post, but your uploading inspired me to bite the bullet and upload something myself.

You have those licks for organ jazz at a level I can only dream of...and, it's not just a matter of having the licks, but you also have to know where they belong, and where they don't belong.

You've got "the touch" as I call it...that knack of great phrasing, timing and the licks too.

I'm pretty lucky I was able to get the Tyros4, as I fell in love with it's SA2 Sax sounds immediately. The sounds certainly help the player to get the most expression from them. It's safe to say I find they make me try harder...they definitely inspire.

I don't like overdubbing the melody afterwards as I find my left hand anchors me and that helps me find the little "extra" notes to embellish the lead line.

You certainly can play Chas, and I was very pleased to see you post something. If we here on SZ let our music do most of the talking, we'd certainly avoid a lot of other pitfalls that sometimes get us at odds with each other.

Seeing TonyMads post was also really nice. We all each have a story to tell with our playing, and stories to tell about our playing as well.

When somebody posts their work, I automatically feel I know them so much better than before, and I feel good knowing they want to share their feeling about music with me, and the rest on SZ.

Our music and love of it, is what's common with all us musicians, Chas, and no one will ever understand us better than another player.

I hope we see more of your tunes, and more by others here, and maybe, just maybe, we can inspire Russ to put up a tune or three. wink

Thanks again for your nice comments.

Ian

#379524 - 12/26/13 06:14 PM Re: Posting a performance on S-Z [Re: tony mads usa]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Ian, wonderful rendition of my favorite song of all time. I fell in love with Dorothy when I was just 5 years old. When my daughter performed this song, old dad almost broke into tears. You really did a great job with this.

Thanks,

Gary

Edited by travlin'easy (12/26/13 06:17 PM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#379525 - 12/26/13 06:19 PM Re: Posting a performance on S-Z [Re: tony mads usa]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Tony the problem is now and again some of us take things personally and screw up our replies and comments. I for one considered you a musician and thought you thought so to. I thought you worked with other musicians and so forth for years. I didn't have a clue that you strummed three chords on a guitar and sang the same ten tunes over and over all of your life. Is that what you do? I don't think so, eh? What's the fuss buddy?
I know plenty of the guys here are both musicians and entertainers and that's great. It's just that Chas gigging in the right spot seems to me he can keep an audience happy with just his instrumentals. Now to me, that is special not just singing little Richard three chord tunes all night. I'm not supposed to have an opinion or what?

#379526 - 12/26/13 06:25 PM Re: Posting a performance on S-Z [Re: tony mads usa]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Thanks Gary...I remember as a little kid, going to the movie theater with my Aunt Eileen...I couldn't have been very old. I thought Dorothy was beautiful, and when I hear the song sung by Judy Garland it still can bring tears to my eyes, too.

This song, and another called "When You Wish Upon A Star", especially sung by Cliff Edwards, who did the voice of Jiminy Cricket, really work on my emotions.

I may try and record "When You Wish Upon A Star" in the very near future.

These tunes have a certain magic about them.

Thanks for listening, and for the kind words.

Ian

#379533 - 12/26/13 08:45 PM Re: Posting a performance on S-Z [Re: brickboo]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: brickboo
Tony the problem is now and again some of us take things personally and screw up our replies and comments. I for one considered you a musician and thought you thought so to. I thought you worked with other musicians and so forth for years. I didn't have a clue that you strummed three chords on a guitar and sang the same ten tunes over and over all of your life. Is that what you do? I don't think so, eh? What's the fuss buddy?
I know plenty of the guys here are both musicians and entertainers and that's great. It's just that Chas gigging in the right spot seems to me he can keep an audience happy with just his instrumentals. Now to me, that is special not just singing little Richard three chord tunes all night. I'm not supposed to have an opinion or what?

boo ... of course you are entitled to an opinion, and I think you may have expressed one or two from time to time... grin
so maybe I took your comments personally and screwed up your reply ... I am pleased to know that you consider me a musician, but I also consider myself an entertainer because I entertain people grin ...
I also consider chas an entertainer because his music would entertain me for hours on end ...
as for myself, I think I can carry a tune - if the bag is strong enough -, and I know more than 3 chords - 7, I think, and maybe a minor 1 or 2 ... not sure if that makes me a musician, though ... wink

keep smilin' ... grin

#379534 - 12/26/13 09:34 PM Re: Posting a performance on S-Z [Re: tony mads usa]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
The reason some of us don't do a lot of jazz is not because we couldn't, it's because we don't want to, and there is not much market for it.
I love to hear a good jazz song, and particularly by pickers as accomplished as our friends Chas and Boo, but a couple of them back to back, and I'm ready for some Beatles, or B.B. King, or Merle Haggard, or Jimmy Buffet (for Russ). smile

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online