SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#379477 - 12/26/13 11:45 AM Re: Posting a performance on S-Z [Re: ianmcnll]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
My man, Chas! I LOVE to play that style, and you do it like the pro you are!

And Ian, a lovely, sensitive interpretation of such a classic!

Good music is good!

I'd have jumped at the chance to play either/both of these pieces with you guys!

THANKS!

Russ

#379482 - 12/26/13 01:08 PM Re: Posting a performance on S-Z [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
I almost missed this one...and I'm glad I didn't.

Nicely played, Chas. That KeyB Duo has an excellent emulation. Were you using chorus/vibrato? It really juiced up the sound.

No problem with the bass...in fact I had to turn it down a bit on my EQ.

I like the single note repetitions, and the guitar sounds pretty good...it is a tough one to emulate for sure.

I remember the first time I heard Jimmy Smith...I was playing a dual manual Farfisa through a Leslie...I got rid of it less than a week later and bought my first Hammond, an M-3.

I've done only one quick recording with the Tyros4, early in the morning like you...I was actually trying out a style I had just stuck together to see if it read the chords properly, and since I got through the tune without any drama, I saved it.

So, since we're doing the sharing thing...

Here's a link to the MP3. http://www.4shared.com/mp3/6dIl6nqG/OverRainbow.html

The style, which started life on the CVP-509 Clavinova, only has 3 tracks; light drums, mega Acoustic bass, and mega Jazz Guitar.

I played the melody using SA2 Jazz Sax, and SA Jazz Clean Guitar. It was all played in one take.

It's got a few warts...it got recorded a little too hot (levels), and I know I could do the Sax part a little more realistically, but, again, like you, I'm too damn lazy.

Hope you like my little tune, and thanks for putting up some fine playing.

Ian

clap headphone clap excellent Job ian..well done buddy... cool2

#379484 - 12/26/13 01:12 PM Re: Posting a performance on S-Z [Re: tony mads usa]
big741.1 Offline

Loc: Edmonton,Canada
Chas,
That's an awesome clip! Love the groove and the improvisations. Thanks for sharing this with us. Encore!

Ian,
An expressive and beautiful performance of a classic tune. Sweet sax emulation, too!

Thanks for the music,
Dan

#379486 - 12/26/13 01:18 PM Re: Posting a performance on S-Z [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Chas, you just provided a wonderful rendition of,IMO, one the greatest songs ever written.

Thank you so much,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#379487 - 12/26/13 01:26 PM Re: Posting a performance on S-Z [Re: tony mads usa]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Thanks, Donny, Russ and Dan...much appreciated.

Over the Rainbow has always been a favorite song of mine.

Ian

#379493 - 12/26/13 01:52 PM Re: Posting a performance on S-Z [Re: tony mads usa]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
As always, tasty playing, chas...

I really think you owe it to yourself to check out the BK-9, chas. While it may not QUITE stand up against the KeyB or C2 Nord, the Hammond sim in the BK-9 is VERY close (FAR better than the sim in the G70), and would allow you to have basically all of your needed tools in the one keyboard. The drums are a considerable improvement over the BK-7m (I have both, so I know!) the chord sequencer makes laying down a quick head or vamp a snap, and still allows you to easily do Variation and fills, etc., and the audio loops section would easily allow you to use audio brush loops and real jazz drumming...

Not to mention, the SN jazz guitar patch is almost prescient at figuring out how to 'guitarize' your playing.

See if there's a store up in the ATL that has one...

#379500 - 12/26/13 02:10 PM Re: Posting a performance on S-Z [Re: tony mads usa]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Ian, no fair. That's cheating. Picking what may be one of the prettiest songs on the planet and then combining that with what is probably the best sax voice in all of synthdom . How can you miss? smile smile Just kidding though, beautiful job. Wish I could get your sax technique down. Diki pointed out my sax emulation flaws (not enough bends and scoops smile ) and I've been working on trying to improve that (he'll keep you honest and thank goodness for that).

Although you have to almost hold a gun to his head to get him to post anything, I listen to Capt Russ's version of 'What are you doing the rest of my life' at least once or twice a week. He stole those chords from some of the best players in the world smile but he executes them oh so beautifully.

As for instrument emulation, I guess you and your 'sax' and Don and his 'guitar' are at the head of the class right now......of course, it's not a competition and every one who feels like sharing should jump into the fray. There should, however, be room for CONSTRUCTIVE criticism (other than 'YOU SUCK') as well, as that is what makes us strive to improve.

chas

#379508 - 12/26/13 02:33 PM Re: Posting a performance on S-Z [Re: tony mads usa]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Chas, from what I've heard so far you're the guy I would enjoy playing the jazz swing genre` using my tenor. I could swing with you all night unless that's the only tune you can swing on. Ha ha. Then you'd drive me nutts. However, I am sure that you possess all of the skills jazz-wise that would keep me and my musician friends around New Orleans elated.

I don't suppose you make a lot of money the way you play unless you're in a special area where jazz is still considered the ultimate form of music for a TRUE MUSICIAN. You are more than an entertainer. Hell an entertainer can do card tricks, and tap.
I assume that you can jump on a bandstand find out what key they are playing what song in and jam. Not very many can do this today no matter what instrument they play, when you're talking about the great jazz standards.

Well done friend!

#379509 - 12/26/13 02:33 PM Re: Posting a performance on S-Z [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: cgiles
There should, however, be room for CONSTRUCTIVE criticism (other than 'YOU SUCK') as well, as that is what makes us strive to improve.
chas

... hmmm... seems I might have read something like that somewhere ... oh yes, in my post when I opened this thread ... laugh2 ...
... seriously, this is what this forum SHOULD be about ... and again I thank chas and Ian for posting along with the rest of us . ...

#379510 - 12/26/13 02:36 PM Re: Posting a performance on S-Z [Re: tony mads usa]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
... hey boo ... it would be nice if you would stop putting down us 'ENTERTAINERS' ... obviously, the good Lord chose not to give us all the same talents, otherwise there would only be ONE profession ...
just sayin' ...

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online