SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#379319 - 12/24/13 11:16 AM Re: Posting a performance on S-Z [Re: tony mads usa]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Yeah... I do all that. Basically, I just try the high section, and see what is comfortable (or controllable, at least!) and go from there.

Overall, last couple of years I have started to take everything down a half-step or so, to adjust for my aging vocal chords. It's easy enough when I'm solo (just transpose the entire arranger down a half step for the whole night), but it's a PITA for any guitarists working with me!

#379323 - 12/24/13 11:31 AM Re: Posting a performance on S-Z [Re: Diki]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
... I am SO with you on that ... I have a gig the end of January with the sax player from our band from a hundred years ago grin ... I KNOW some of the changed keys are going to drive him crazy ... dancers

#379330 - 12/24/13 12:37 PM Re: Posting a performance on S-Z [Re: tony mads usa]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
No transpose button on a sax, but a guitar has a capo - handy little gadget that I used for years until I learned more than 3 chords. wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#379360 - 12/25/13 12:26 AM Re: Posting a performance on S-Z [Re: Hal2001]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Hal2001
"Don't compare yourself to performances you've heard as recordings." Instead, I should use live performances as a benchmark because even some well known performers who claim they don't clean up their mistakes in the studio, actually do so

Thanks for posting this Hal. I've often wondered how pianists record whole piano concertos without missing a note........that's how! They patch it up in the studio when needed!

That certainly changed some things for me!

Mark

#379361 - 12/25/13 12:37 AM Re: Posting a performance on S-Z [Re: tony mads usa]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
One thing thing I have to remember - which no doubt causes some trepidation in posting a performance on this forum - is that here, I am performing for other musicians who are going to listen with a much more critical ear than my usual audiences
Another thing is that when we perform 'live' we may miss a chord or a note and it MAY go unnoticed to most in the audience, as they are listening to the overall performce ... but here, if something doesn't sound just right, the listener may very well listen again and again - and hear that same mistake over and over ... frown
"That being said", I think it would be great if more people started posting some of their work ...

Tony,

This was a really good point you made. Especially the part...

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
"I think it would be great if more people started posting some of their work"

I was playing around with the recorder on my PA3x and recorded Under Paris Skies in one take. Of course, there were 1-2 mistakes that an audience would never notice, but I figured here it might be ripped apart (especially by a certain member) as the notes would stand out in listening mode.

By coincidence, I was talking to Don yesterday, and I asked him to post it to the Korg forum to show how a PA3x can emulate an accordion.

With what you said here, I suppose there's no harm in asking Don to host the song here too.

Mark

#379366 - 12/25/13 02:58 AM Re: Posting a performance on S-Z [Re: tony mads usa]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Mark, I didn't get the song yet.

#379374 - 12/25/13 06:18 AM Re: Posting a performance on S-Z [Re: tony mads usa]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Ok, I was fooling around with the drums on the BK7M looking for some semi-jazz/groove patterns to practice to. I have come to like them (BK drums) even more than my Alesis DM10 Pro electronic drum kit; in fact, I have even started to use it as a sound source for the kit about 50% of the time.

I also love 60's-style 'fatback' organ, which is loosely a very simple blues-type bassline coupled with a kind of 'back-beat' drums to form a kind of 'pocket' type groove. The BK7M has several good drum styles for this, along with good ootb drum voices. I was just noodlin' around on my organ (KeyB Duo MK111) and decided to record an example. I overdubbed some guitar from the T2 (Jazz Guitar) and horns from the BK7m. Just noodlin' but based loosely on the tune 'Summertime'. A few clunkers since I'm way too lazy to go back and correct anything.

Just posted it as an example of how good (and easy) Arrangers can be as stand-alone drum machines and/or sound modules for solo voices. I was too lazy to put a compressor on it so you'll need to listen through headphones or a set of monitors to catch the bass, which is key to the style. And yeah, I know it's in Dm instead of Am, but I was playing 'Feeling Good' or something and just sort of migrated into it.

chas

https://app.box.com/s/7lwdtg0rbwnvndrc73hm

#379377 - 12/25/13 06:49 AM Re: Posting a performance on S-Z [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: cgiles
Ok, I was fooling around with the drums on the BK7M looking for some semi-jazz/groove patterns to practice to. I have come to like them (BK drums) even more than my Alesis DM10 Pro electronic drum kit; in fact, I have even started to use it as a sound source for the kit about 50% of the time.

I also love 60's-style 'fatback' organ, which is loosely a very simple blues-type bassline coupled with a kind of 'back-beat' drums to form a kind of 'pocket' type groove. The BK7M has several good drum styles for this, along with good ootb drum voices. I was just noodlin' around on my organ (KeyB Duo MK111) and decided to record an example. I overdubbed some guitar from the T2 (Jazz Guitar) and horns from the BK7m. Just noodlin' but based loosely on the tune 'Summertime'. A few clunkers since I'm way too lazy to go back and correct anything.

Just posted it as an example of how good (and easy) Arrangers can be as stand-alone drum machines and/or sound modules for solo voices. I was too lazy to put a compressor on it so you'll need to listen through headphones or a set of monitors to catch the bass, which is key to the style. And yeah, I know it's in Dm instead of Am, but I was playing 'Feeling Good' or something and just sort of migrated into it.

chas

https://app.box.com/s/7lwdtg0rbwnvndrc73hm

clap headphone clap

Nice job on the jam Chas... cool2

#379387 - 12/25/13 09:40 AM Re: Posting a performance on S-Z [Re: tony mads usa]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Great music Chas! I really like the BK7m drums and bass a lot and there are also some great lead sounds and styles on it.
I always said if they made a keyboard version of it that I'd buy one. Of course they did with the BK9, but I'm really happy with what I have for the moment so didn't go there.
Excellent right hand!
I always do Summertime in Dm because it fits my vocal range.
I'm hearing the bass just fine over the Logitechs.

#379423 - 12/25/13 05:39 PM Re: Posting a performance on S-Z [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
chas ... WELCOME BACK !!! ... another gem for my iPOD 'Jazz Playlist' ... no problem at all hearing the bass - in fact I had to lower the woofer volume on my desktop PC speakers ...

BTW ... I have a number of S-Zers performances on my iPOD ...

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online