SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 20 of 20 < 1 2 18 19 20
Topic Options
#378945 - 12/21/13 06:13 AM Re: The open arrangers [Re: Bachus]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
All in all, it's still a strange omission in an otherwise powerful instrument. Would the Wing be classed as a TOTL or MOTL arranger?

I have taught quite a few people to edit and assemble Yamaha styles, both on-line and in my clinics, and it's surprising how many realize just how simple it is once you see it done, or it's explained in a simpler way than most owner's manuals present it.

Of course, there still will be those who only buy or borrow styles, and ready made song-specific styles are very popular.

Yamaha's Premium styles are often a great starting point for making newly edited styles, and the styles on the more recent Tyros will even allow have organ parts in a style to have realistic speed up/slow down Leslie. That sounds really cool.

Even simple style re-voicing, changing effects, and even volume adjustments can make a dramatic difference in a style.

I'm betting the Wing will at least let you do those operations on board.

Ian

#378950 - 12/21/13 07:22 AM Re: The open arrangers [Re: Bachus]
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
It's true that many users play styles as is and hount for songspesific styles, and that's just fine.
I do a lot of that with minor adjustmens as well, but those of us who have been Technics users for some years got spoiled by the flexibility of the Composer features. (and not to forget about the Panelmemory usability)
If not create patterns from scratch, it was easy to copy and paste i.e. drumtracks, bass or whatever from one style/composerpart and crossover to another....

Would love to see some other brand "steal" and adapt such features. Did'nt Technics engineers move over to Korg or something?

St.Claus, did you read this? smile

#378953 - 12/21/13 07:38 AM Re: The open arrangers [Re: ianmcnll]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
All in all, it's still a strange omission in an otherwise powerful instrument. Would the Wing be classed as a TOTL or MOTL arranger?

I have taught quite a few people to edit and assemble Yamaha styles, both on-line and in my clinics, and it's surprising how many realize just how simple it is once you see it done, or it's explained in a simpler way than most owner's manuals present it.

Of course, there still will be those who only buy or borrow styles, and ready made song-specific styles are very popular.

Yamaha's Premium styles are often a great starting point for making newly edited styles, and the styles on the more recent Tyros will even allow have organ parts in a style to have realistic speed up/slow down Leslie. That sounds really cool.

Even simple style re-voicing, changing effects, and even volume adjustments can make a dramatic difference in a style.

I'm betting the Wing will at least let you do those operations on board.

Ian

Price wise it is in-between MOTL & TOTL models, so to be quite honest I am not quite sure what to call it, plus as it’s the only one they make can it have a designated position?

As for editing like you mentioned, then since the June 2012 update Yes, however when it was officially launched in March/April 2012 it couldn’t. (It was soon fixed though)

Here are the updates so far:

V1 R 00:01 - 00:02 (May 2012)

New options for saving of Total pre-sets
Way to display karaoke lyrics
Additional settings Sequence Transpose and MIDI multimode
Correction of the foot switch control

V1 R 00:02 - 00:03 (May 2012)

Expansion of Footswitch settings and some corrections
New Drawbar tone module VB3 Wersi Edition
Full display of tone module settings, plus saving of tone module settings
New optional sound package "Best of Accordions" for the Pegasus Wing
Error messages eliminated after restoring the factory settings / loading a backup

V1 R 00:03 - 00:04 (June 2012)

Enhanced MIDI Editor
Advanced Style Editor
15 new Drawbar tones added (level 7-9)
New optional sound/style package "James Last Edition" for the Pegasus Wing
Eliminates error messages after restoring the factory settings / loading a backup

V 1 R 00.04 - V 2.0 R 00.01 (August 2012)

All Styles has been adjusted in volume
50 new Live pre-sets by Robert Bartha
New optional Sound/Style package "Franz Lambert Edition" for the Pegasus Wing
New optional sound package "Portamento sounds" for the Pegasus Wing

V 2 R 00:01 - 00:02 (October 2012)

50 new song pre-sets by Claudia Hirschfeld
New optional extension "Selector Plus" for the Pegasus Wing

V 2 R 00:02 - 00:03 (November 2013)

45 new pre-sets from music store employees
New optional Style Package "MS Professional Style Edition 1"
New optional Style Package "Modern Pop-Rock Style"
New optional Style Package "Schlager-style package 1"
Harmony Quantizing for the auto accompaniment
Foot switch assignment - Global Setting
Bug fix: foot switch assignment - corrected caption
bug fix: VB3 - tracking the expression pedal the sound now changes correctly
Bug fix: When importing pre-sets the name is applied correctly
Bug fix: After deleting a record, instrument no longer has to be re-started to show new slot

NOTE: the above has been translated from the German manual so may not be 100% correct.

Happy Playing

Bill

Edited by abacus (12/21/13 07:45 AM)
Edit Reason: Added Note

#378955 - 12/21/13 07:48 AM Re: The open arrangers [Re: Bachus]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
You can get there a bit with Yamaha's Style assembly, in that you can take a bass line from one style, and insert it into a different one...this also applies to the other style parts like drums, phrases, pads, chords.

This is by far the easiest way to create another style, as the parts are already set up to work...no note limits to set, no NTR or NTT to figure out, etc.

The newer Yamaha Style Creator also allow for stroke or arpeggio for the guitar parts.

Style creator's Groove & Dynamics lets you easily set the amount of "swing" for a style, or sections of that style. it also has other uses that I won't go into here, but suffice to say, the average player can do quite a bit of editing without knowing a lot of technical info.

I'm sure Roland and Korg have very similar features and perhaps some that are more extensive and even easier to use.

As I said earlier, most people who see it being done, or have it explained properly (I often used Skype) rematrk at how easy it was.

Ian

#378967 - 12/21/13 09:14 AM Re: The open arrangers [Re: Bachus]
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Quote myself from another tread:

I was very close to order a PA900 from Thomann.de to explore more of the Korg OS who is not in the MicroArranger and that way maybe ready for PA5xPro when it comes....
But when I found a Tyros 4 at same price level as PA900 at local eBay sort of site, I just tought it was on time for me to try out Yamaha.
Yes, I know I've not been any Yammie fan so far, but I guess it doese'nt hurt to try it out properly.
After all, it's X-Mas time ..... besides of that, Midispot have a lot of great styles for Yamaha T. smile

If transport goes out well, it will be here to explore at X-mas eve.
End quote........

Guess I was very sleepy when did this deal, but button pushed are button pushed and done is done.
In fact, I'm looking forward to try it out nice and quiet at home. grin

Btw. Ian, you'll never know, all that sudden you might have s Norwegian calling at Skype. sofa

Page 20 of 20 < 1 2 18 19 20

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online