SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#378623 - 12/18/13 02:27 PM Who ABSOLUTELY, MUST HAVE A chord sequencer & WHY?
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Just wonderin why some folks are referring to a chord sequencer as a necessity.

Looking forward to the replies,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#378625 - 12/18/13 02:40 PM Re: Who ABSOLUTELY, MUST HAVE A chord sequencer & WHY? [Re: travlin'easy]
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
I have it on my PA 3x and have never used it once..

I have only experimented what its all about and have never touched those buttons ever again...

Nick

#378626 - 12/18/13 02:48 PM Re: Who ABSOLUTELY, MUST HAVE A chord sequencer & WHY? [Re: travlin'easy]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
It's really neat if you want to use both hands to play. I only wish the Korg would let you save a few sequences for use any time you want, instead of having to record each time.

#378631 - 12/18/13 03:08 PM Re: Who ABSOLUTELY, MUST HAVE A chord sequencer & WHY? [Re: travlin'easy]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I remember having it on one of my old Roland arrangers, the E-70 I believe it was...I thought it was cool, but I don't remember using it a lot, and I certainly knew what it was designed to do, as it was a feature we specifically demoed during the demonstrations.

I know I can live without it, because I've been doing so ever since the E-70, and actually never even gave it much thought till it was brought up here on SZ.

Since I've become much more familiar with the response characteristics of Yamaha's SA/SA2 sounds, there is less need to free up left hand, but I can see how it can be important to some people, especially if you like to solo a lot over a repeating chord progression and make use the pitch bender.

Let's put it this way...if it was on the Tyros5, I wouldn't trade up my Tyros4 in order to gain that feature.

I felt the same way about the 76 keys...some people are trading up to a Tyros5 just to get 76 keys...I ain't one of them as 61 works just fine for me.

Ian

#378632 - 12/18/13 03:27 PM Re: Who ABSOLUTELY, MUST HAVE A chord sequencer & WHY? [Re: travlin'easy]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
A CS would allow me to play chord structures that can not be recognized
by most arranger keyboards. I really miss being able to play rootless jazz chords.

Also a CS would allow you to play two handed parts like montunos. In addition a CS could free up your left hand for other uses besides just hammering out the same chords the whole song.

Do you ever play any of those songs that just have two chords or have a repetitive chord progression like Oye Como Va? Wouldn't be nice to maybe be able to use the pitch bend without worrying about changing chords every four beats?

A CS would also be great for a keyboardist doubles on another instrument. Play through the tune once and then pick up your horn, guitar or whatever.

Gary, I think you being the vocalist/ entertainer you are could get very good use out of the CS. Play through a tune like Fever one verse, then you free to roam the venue with the wireless mic. A bet the ladies would be inviting you to there rooms for some more entertainment smile

In conclution, what's there not to love about the CS?

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#378634 - 12/18/13 03:34 PM Re: Who ABSOLUTELY, MUST HAVE A chord sequencer & WHY? [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Im sure diki will give us a few pages on why it's so great and all that use it have fun with it & power to them,...... but personally I toyed with it a few times on my units, PA3x, etc, but honestly it's just not something I would use on stage for my needs.
It's a neat gimmick that can be useful for the right player.

#378637 - 12/18/13 03:43 PM Re: Who ABSOLUTELY, MUST HAVE A chord sequencer & WHY? [Re: montunoman]
big741.1 Offline

Loc: Edmonton,Canada
Originally Posted By: montunoman
A CS would allow me to play chord structures that can not be recognized
by most arranger keyboards. I really miss being able to play rootless jazz chords.

Also a CS would allow you to play two handed parts like montunos. In addition a CS could free up your left hand for other uses besides just hammering out the same chords the whole song.

Do you ever play any of those songs that just have two chords or have a repetitive chord progression like Oye Como Va? Wouldn't be nice to maybe be able to use the pitch bend without worrying about changing chords every four beats?

A CS would also be great for a keyboardist doubles on another instrument. Play through the tune once and then pick up your horn, guitar or whatever.

Gary, I think you being the vocalist/ entertainer you are could get very good use out of the CS. Play through a tune like Fever one verse, then you free to roam the venue with the wireless mic. A bet the ladies would be inviting you to there rooms for some more entertainment smile

In conclution, what's there not to love about the CS?

^This.

Many times I have found myself wishing for this functionality once Diki made me aware of it. With a CS I could play my sax or EWI and still trigger fills with my foot pedals. I can't see performing like this, but it would sure be handy for working on certain chord sequences and just for plain old foolin' around.

#378640 - 12/18/13 04:12 PM Re: Who ABSOLUTELY, MUST HAVE A chord sequencer & WHY? [Re: big741.1]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I have used the CS function in the Pa600 on a couple of occasions ... along with the above stated uses it comes in handy when I want to take a right hand solo and have a drink in my left hand drink ... NOT !!! ...
The CS for most players may not be an ABSOLUTELY, MUST HAVE feature, but it is like a lot of things in life that 'are nice to have ...
Gary, it is like hair on our head - is it an ABSOLUTELY, MUST HAVE item? ... no, but it might be nice to have ... and if there are players that ABSOLUTELY, MUST HAVE it, then they should fight for it ...

#378643 - 12/18/13 04:47 PM Re: Who ABSOLUTELY, MUST HAVE A chord sequencer & WHY? [Re: travlin'easy]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Rereading Gary's post, made me look at it from this point of view...would I use one if it was already on my arranger?

Of course...it would simply just be another tool.

More importantly...

Would I sacrifice what my present arranger does already, to have to buy another brand or model to get that particular feature?

Nope.

So it is not a "necessity". If it was, none of the above would matter.

The original question and followup statement posed by Gary were...

"Who ABSOLUTELY, MUST HAVE A chord sequencer & WHY?"

"Just wonderin why some folks are referring to a chord sequencer as a necessity."

Answer to the above...nope, I don't absolutely have to have one. It's definitely not a necessity or even a deal breaker.

Is it useful? Of course. But, like any other performance aid/feature, some will make more use of it than others.

Another thing to consider, is what is the audience going to think seeing the player using basically one hand? Yes, you are using two hands, but only one is actually playing the keyboard. And, even if you aren't playing chords like Chick Corea, at least the fingers of both hands are pressing down keys.

Of course this may not apply if you are doing two handed piano solo or part, but a big function of the Chord Sequencer's purpose is to free up the left hand for use on wheels or benders.

Again, is it useful? Sure.

Is it a necessity? No, not for me.

Ian

#378650 - 12/18/13 05:53 PM Re: Who ABSOLUTELY, MUST HAVE A chord sequencer & WHY? [Re: travlin'easy]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Okay ...here are two examples why it could be a "must have"...Any musician that performs with a solo instrument..sax, trumpet, harmonica ...any solo instrument...the CS would be indespensible...

Another...if you are a song writer or arrange songs...I used the CS on the G1000..I had a client that wrote lyrics and I use to record a chord progression to fit the lyrics and the client's melody....After recording to the CS...I would try a variety of styles and combinations to find the perfect fit/feel of the tune...I use to earn $100-$150 for each tune ..with an average time applied....less than a half hour..

Anyone with an open mind can see the benefits in many different ways...

Dang it...I feel a BK-9 coming in handy....

Edited by Fran Carango (12/18/13 05:56 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online