SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#378600 - 12/18/13 01:13 PM Re: My name is Don and I'm a knob-twister [Re: brickboo]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: brickboo
I'm more of a "I wonder how 'I've Got You Under My Skin' will sound as a bossa nova musician," then a tinker of knobs.

grin

#378601 - 12/18/13 01:15 PM Re: My name is Don and I'm a knob-twister [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
I keep going back to my favorite: Sennheiser 855. I have two of those. smile
smile

LOVE the Sennheiser !!! singer

#378608 - 12/18/13 01:40 PM Re: My name is Don and I'm a knob-twister [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
"Another mic I just sold a few years ago, a Shure SM58 was also a lovely performing mic that was every bit as rugged and reliable as the RE-15."

I truly believe the old SM58s were made better. The one I have sounds fine, but the rumble it picks up is the worst of any of the ones I own, including the lowly Samson R11. And they are 3 for $60.

#378619 - 12/18/13 02:15 PM Re: My name is Don and I'm a knob-twister [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I got rid of my pair of SM-58s several years ago, just never liked the overall voice quality, but that may be because I'm not a power singer, and that mic seemed to perform best for power singers.

I still have my Sennheiser E855 and Samson Q7, both of which are great handheld mics. Until a couple days ago, I had 3 Crown CM-311As, but one headed south for the winter. Should be in central LA by tomorrow afternoon. wink

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#378621 - 12/18/13 02:23 PM Re: My name is Don and I'm a knob-twister [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
I got rid of my pair of SM-58s several years ago, just never liked the overall voice quality, but that may be because I'm not a power singer, and that mic seemed to perform best for power singers.

I still have my Sennheiser E855 and Samson Q7, both of which are great handheld mics. Until a couple days ago, I had 3 Crown CM-311As, but one headed south for the winter. Should be in central LA by tomorrow afternoon. wink

Cheers,

Gary cool

Don post a video or pic of you using the headset mic & let us know your experiences with it! cool2

Edited by Dnj (12/18/13 02:23 PM)

#378629 - 12/18/13 02:54 PM Re: My name is Don and I'm a knob-twister [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
If I get that far with it! smile
Gary, I'm about a far North in Louisiana as you can get, a few miles from both Texas and Arkansas.

#378633 - 12/18/13 03:30 PM Re: My name is Don and I'm a knob-twister [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Gary, I'm about a far North in Louisiana as you can get, a few miles from both Texas and Arkansas.

Give it a shot headphone ....
I lasted 5 minutes with it. ... eek2

#378642 - 12/18/13 04:20 PM Re: My name is Don and I'm a knob-twister [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj

Give it a shot headphone ....
I lasted 5 minutes with it. ... eek2

... a man KNOWS what he wants ...

#378645 - 12/18/13 05:17 PM Re: My name is Don and I'm a knob-twister [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I should have said northwest LA. Remember, I used to live in Palestine,, TX and spent a fair amount of time in Bossier City during the early 60s when it was a wide open town.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#378912 - 12/21/13 12:41 AM Re: My name is Don and I'm a knob-twister [Re: Bachus]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Originally Posted By: Bachus
Originally Posted By: Diki
Originally Posted By: Bachus
Twisting knobs...

In my opinion every totl arranger should have 4 free assignable knobs.. Its currently the most forgotten feature in arrangers..... For real time control purposes..

BK-9 has two sliders assignable to control any two insert effect parameters, and THREE sliders freely assignable to sound editing or tweaking while you play...

Nice... but arent those the same sliders to be used with track volume, organ drawbars, general arranger setting and much more depending on which mode you are in?

On top of that non motorized sliders are allways in the wrong position and as soon as you touch them the parameter jumps to the slider position...

Whhere as a knob is by nature allways in the right position (if they use the right type of knobs) and thats a huge difference for me..

Well, for starters, forget motorized faders! Nothing has those.

BK-9 has 10 sliders (plus 5 knobs and 4 Assignable SW). In general arranger play mode, they default to MFX 1 & 2 (assignable to which MFX and which parameter you want per Performance), CC 1, 2 & 3 (same), then M.Int, MBS, LWR, and UPR 1 & 2 volumes.

In Hammond sim mode, they default to the 9 drawbars and an overall volume (selectable pre or post overdrive).

In mixer mode, 8 of them default to the 8 style Parts.

Works pretty well, overall.

BTW, there are 4 Assign SW's by the bender (bit like the SA buttons on a Tyros) but they are freely assignable to a myriad of functions. Of course, we could always ask for more sliders, buttons and knobs, but at the price point, I think it's the most flexible...

BTW, the sliders don't jump their values. You have to slide them through the value of the parameter before anything starts to happen. This is the best way, IMO.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online