SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#378305 - 12/15/13 06:18 PM Wow Wow Wow $$$$$
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
I'am sitting here wondering why I'm spending money on extremely expensive keyboards and playing live for what I get paid. Today I played for a wedding.
I usually don't do this kind of work but agreed to do it this time around. The bride sent me a list of songs she wanted and I got them ready - NOT TO PLAY LIVE BUT TO DJ!!! When she told me what her budget was for her entertainer I almost fell out of my chair. Long story short - I spent two hours simply pressing buttons and playing MP3s using my keyboard and went home with over two grand. When I got home I called a friend of mine that only does DJ work and he told me what I got paid is the going rate for wedding gigs. Oh yes, this was a wedding for two folks 65 years old not a 20 something wedding.

Sure does make you think.
Deane

#378311 - 12/15/13 06:47 PM Re: Wow Wow Wow $$$$$ [Re: hammer]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: hammer
I'am sitting here wondering why I'm spending money on extremely expensive keyboards and playing live for what I get paid. Today I played for a wedding.
I usually don't do this kind of work but agreed to do it this time around. The bride sent me a list of songs she wanted and I got them ready - NOT TO PLAY LIVE BUT TO DJ!!! When she told me what her budget was for her entertainer I almost fell out of my chair. Long story short - I spent two hours simply pressing buttons and playing MP3s using my keyboard and went home with over two grand. When I got home I called a friend of mine that only does DJ work and he told me what I got paid is the going rate for wedding gigs. Oh yes, this was a wedding for two folks 65 years old not a 20 something wedding.

Sure does make you think.
Deane

No surprise there, it's a new game out here boyz.. ....
listen to your dj friend.....as I always said you gotta mix it up & be flexible to do any kind of gig.....
good work Dean! YOUR RIGHT YOU dont NEED the TOTL KBS TO GIG ANYMORE.. cool2

Edited by Dnj (12/15/13 06:48 PM)

#378320 - 12/15/13 08:40 PM Re: Wow Wow Wow $$$$$ [Re: hammer]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Good to know when it comes time to negotiate your fee... Not too hard to undercut a DJ, these days. And still make a good living..!

#378327 - 12/15/13 10:57 PM Re: Wow Wow Wow $$$$$ [Re: hammer]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I hear you Deanne. I saw the handwriting on the wall back in the mid-90's and so I focused on becoming a disc jockey. I fought it for years, having trained as a musician, but a friend said to me that "it doesn't matter what you're playing to make music....it's the knowledge of music that you acquired over the years and your experience in playing to an audience is what counts!" She was right. I became a successful DJ and made the "big bucks." Playing live was relegated to nursing homes, parties for older people, and Oktoberfests and special events.

Them was good days. Music was the number one priority at parties and if you were good, you can write out your own paycheck.

One correction......being a DJ is not about "simply pressing buttons." It's about knowing WHAT buttons to press and WHEN to press them. Which means knowing what songs to play and how to "connect the dots" between songs. Deanne......that was a compliment to you!

Mark

#378331 - 12/15/13 11:57 PM Re: Wow Wow Wow $$$$$ [Re: hammer]
Bachus Offline

Overhere in europe about 10 to 20 years ago, deejays took over much of the band work on weddings because they where both cheeper and had a much larger repertoire then bands..

My cousin found a new market... The singing deejay ( instead of omb) and it pays off as he is currently the only one with the abbility. He is still available as omb or doing both... But. When they call him they ask for the singing deejay.

His rate is quite high for europe at €300 an e ening, there is way to much competition.

#378335 - 12/16/13 12:50 AM Re: Wow Wow Wow $$$$$ [Re: Bachus]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

Deane,

All your prayers must have been heard !!
Another three or four weddings and you can own an Audya,Tyros 5 and Korg PA3X side by side, without even having to lug them out on those occasions ... smile

regards,
John

#378360 - 12/16/13 09:45 AM Re: Wow Wow Wow $$$$$ [Re: john smies]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
I knew the DJ guys made the "big bucks". I had to pay for my daughter's wedding expenses. That was 10 years ago and the most sought after wedding DJ cost me $3000.00 for the night. But, she came very well prepared and there was absolutely no song request she could not fill. Her setup would be a nightmare to carry around - complete with lights and everything else. Doubt if I would do that.

I would get terribly bored doing that kind of work all the time - even for the money involved. Heck, I was bored with only 2 hours of the gig yesterday.

Deane

#378362 - 12/16/13 09:49 AM Re: Wow Wow Wow $$$$$ [Re: hammer]
Dnj Offline

Posted article:.....

"The price of your DJ service is affected by many variables. First, the most experienced "performers" are generally higher priced because they provide better service. That's because they've been doing it long enough to know what, where, when, how... you get the idea. If they're still around after a few years... there's a reason for it.
Location isn't as important as you'd think. Most professionals are now networking with each other (Wedding Wire is a good example of that) and prices are grouped based on the following factors:
1) Amount of equipment required by the customer. Bigger systems require higher fees. I'll explain in a minute what you should look for.
2) Experience or skill is very important. Sure, you can get a $400 DJ, but "generally", they are new to the profession or amateurs, and are doing it as a hobby. The cheaper DJ's have cheaper gear and as a result, don't provide the level of service and quality that a real pro provides. You might say, "well, who cares as long as they play music"? There's a lot more to it than playing music.
3) The higher priced DJ's have high tech lighting and know how to use it to it's maximum performance. DMX intelligent lighting for example. That's the same stuff you see on "American Idol" and "America has Talent". It's moving color changing gear that is used as national concerts.
So, your question about how much...
Very basic DJ's with minimal experience and adequate gear will charge in the neighborhood of $400, which should include at least two speakers and a few basic lights or a mirror ball and a few "blinky" lights. The music library will probably be illegal and not very extensive, and may play a few requests. He may not be able to "read" the crowd and the party may end earlier than you'd like, and it should be an "OK" experience for the money for typically 5 hours.
4) A good DJ will have a superior sound system, several years of experience, several good quality lights and the ability to read the crowd, and play the right music at the right time. He will have good MC skills and not over use the microphone. This should cost on average between $600 and $900.
4) A great DJ will have at least a four speaker sound system with enough power to fill up your reception hall, a mixer to blend the music and the skill so there is not any "dead air". There should be several nice "nite club" quality lights and colors and patterns so that the crowd isn't bored with the lights after ten minutes. The music should have everyone out dancing and keep everyone excited. The tempo should rise and fall at the right pace to keep it interesting. His ability to read the crowd should be "right on" and every request should be considered carefully to see if it will fit This should cost between $800 and $1200.
5) A superior DJ will have many years of experience, a high quality sound system with at least four speakers and sub-woofers for hard hitting bass. His MC skills should be perfect and not over the top. He shouldn't hit on the bridesmaids, drink or smoke while on duty. He should have a concert quality lighting rig with industry standard lifts and trussing. The lighting should be computer controlled and give you the nite club feel. He should be able to read the crowd so that the dance floor is full most of the night. He takes requests and puts them in the mix so they fit the mood. This should cost you $1200 to $1900.Based on what I've done over the last 17 years, the average cost is typically $800. I've worked for as low as $595 and as high as $2000. The level of service is factored in to that. The more I provide, the more I charge. Quality is never sacrificed. if you're happy with the service, and your guests had a good time on a $500 DJ, then you got a BARGAIN! If you're looking for a fairy tail wedding with a $300 DJ... it's not going to happen."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Rates for the DJ industry vary greatly, ranging from $350.00 to over $5,000.00 with an average of $1,200.00 for a 4 hour booking. Disc Jockey rates vary based on talent, experience, emcee ability, service, coordination, equipment needed, music knowledge, mixing ability and personality. Rates for the DJ industry vary greatly, ranging from $350.00 to over $5,000.00 with an average of $1,200.00 for a 4 hour booking.

The best price is not always the best deal, especially if you are planning a wedding. As a matter of fact, surveys conclude that nearly 100% of brides would have spent more money on their entertainment and made it their #1 priority in hindsight.

A full-service disc jockey company will normally invest 12 to 30 hours to your special event but it may appear that you are only paying for "4 hours". Consultations, music purchasing & editing, preparation, set-up and tear-down, education and other business related endeavors add up to the overall success of your special occasion.

Edited by Dnj (12/16/13 09:58 AM)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online