SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#377733 - 12/10/13 03:02 PM Static Noise From Volume Knob
gcbin Offline

Loc: Huntington, Indiana USA
I am looking for some help with this problem. My PSR-S910 makes a lot of static pops and cracks when turning up the volume. I usually just turn it back and forth quickly a dozen times or so and it goes away. Would spraying some kind of cleaner on it help, or should I have my retailer repair it. (I am not very knowledgeable about things like this). My PSR-S900 did the same thing, and I sold it as is and purchased the S910. Hoping for a cheap fix, if there is one. (maybe this is a good excuse to move up to the S950 without going through a divorce) Thanks, Gary

#377740 - 12/10/13 03:54 PM Re: Static Noise From Volume Knob [Re: gcbin]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Sounds like a common problem. It can't hurt to try an electronics spray cleaner. Just make sure you get one with no lubricants in it or one that will leave a residue. Start at Radio Shack and see if they can suggest anything.
I recently had a similar problem and was about to ship the unit to my repair guy .
Tried some spray I had from my Hammond repair days and problem disappeared. Sorry but I threw away the can and don't remember the name, but I'm almost sure I got it a RS quite a while ago.

#377752 - 12/10/13 04:40 PM Re: Static Noise From Volume Knob [Re: gcbin]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The volume control is an open one, but only accessible from the inside. DO NOT spray contact cleaner on the printed circuit board - it will destroy other components. The best thing to do is replace the volume control, which can easily be done by a competent technician.

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (12/10/13 04:41 PM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online