SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#377358 - 12/07/13 07:21 AM Korg rumours
Bachus Offline

Seems Korg is integrating their synthesizer, their piano and their arranger division into one department, dont ask me where i heard that rumor, but it certainly is not all over the place...

But since all the latest developments have been software based ( current day synths and arrangers are software devices, only the D/A and A/D converters are hardware ) And everything is build in seperate models, they have/ are streamlining their research in a single team..

Meaning their top devices will get the same sound engine...

First offspring of this should be presented at winternamm, where a new workstation will be presented. the workstation is build around a large 17" touchscreen, and keys and sliders and knobs will change function based on what interface you are using...

The rumor says it will have Sequencer, karma, performance arranger and mixed modes... The sound engine is alledgedly all of the kronos stuff, with an option to add several new and optional engines that you can digitally buy... Next to korg orriginated stuff they also are going to allow 3rd party stuff, which would kind of work like the apple appstore , where Korg takes a major cut of the money made..

Its an open system, that still gives the stabillity of a closed system, and the flexibillity to grow.

Now how did i hear of this?

A friend of mine, with whome i ride mountainbike ocasionally, works for an inventive company that creates vsts, they have been offered a set of conversion software that allows them to convert their virtual software to The new korg format. ( obviously it needs testing and requires the source code for that testing )

It was supposed to be announced by Korg on winternamm, but seems they are not going to make it, and therefor delayed till musikmesse.

Strange thing is to find out that innovation comes from trying to save money in research and development.

Only the future will tell us how much truth was in this message, and if Korg can save its own hide from the financial crisis by becomming innovative

http://keyszone.boards.net

#377363 - 12/07/13 08:46 AM Re: Korg rumours [Re: Bachus]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Wow, finally a company that may not be fighting itself!
Too long there have been great sounds and/or features available for synths or arrangers within the same company, yet not for both!

#377398 - 12/07/13 12:16 PM Re: Korg rumours [Re: Bachus]
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
Well, it's not all together surprising that Korg might take this step, as their Kronos is nothing less than half-open system, given the diversity in their sound engine. Not to forget that Korg introduced Karma concept - imagine that in an arranger configuration.

Also, they have a history - the first Pa series (80, 60 and 50) did have the Triton engine inside (although much limited).

THe one thing I am not so sure about is the huge 17 inches screen and the total integration of the arranger and open system with VSTs. If for real, it's like seeing the future right before your eyes! wink I did say before, I think the company to do this integration right will dictate the direction for many years from now on!

March you say...

#377479 - 12/08/13 10:36 AM Re: Korg rumours [Re: Bachus]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Only 14 years late, as Wersi have had the Open Organ/Arranger since 1999/2000.

Its good that a big manufacture is getting involved though, as hopefully it will be the push that is needed get us out of the current Arranger/Organ Dark Ages.

Bill

#377482 - 12/08/13 10:58 AM Re: Korg rumours [Re: abacus]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: abacus
Only 14 years late, as Wersi have had the Open Organ/Arranger since 1999/2000.

Its good that a big manufacture is getting involved though, as hopefully it will be the push that is needed get us out of the current Arranger/Organ Dark Ages.

Bill

Long long time ago.... the last big step in major arranger innovation (except for OAS, which however never got mainstream) was 20 years ago in 1993 when GEM released its WX2 and later that year Korg its I3 (and Wersi the orriginal Pegasus..)

After that, others catched up (yes even the technics KN2000 that was mainstream that time suddenly trailed behind) but never did any of the major arranger producers do anything really innovative... everything happened as an evolution, and it allowed everyone to keep up...

Its sad that development in other parts of a company doesnt make it to main products. The Yamaha CVP 609 has a lovely touchscreen and an awesome piano section with 3 top pianos that can be visually ediited by things like opening the lit or placing the piano in another room.. But nothing of all of this in the Tyros 5, a sad thing if you ask me, Tyros players would have loved the Piano section of the CVP 600 including its touchscreen.

#377483 - 12/08/13 11:03 AM Re: Korg rumours [Re: Bachus]
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
It sounds like it would just be an Oasys with larger touch screen and arranger features built in. It's plausible Kong could put this type of product out but unlikely as the cost would be along the same lines of the Oasys. The Oasys did not sell well and was subsequently discontinued. I don't think Korg wants to repeat that pattern again.

#377493 - 12/08/13 11:33 AM Re: Korg rumours [Re: Ensnareyou]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Ensnareyou
It sounds like it would just be an Oasys with larger touch screen and arranger features built in. It's plausible Kong could put this type of product out but unlikely as the cost would be along the same lines of the Oasys. The Oasys did not sell well and was subsequently discontinued. I don't think Korg wants to repeat that pattern again.

Not really... Its build on standard pc hardware, thats becomming more pwoerfull and cheeper as we speak...

The whole kronos is build on top of a linux version, and its actually not that hard to add new modules to that.... Its just standard software deep under the roof, and many VSTs for example can be easilly addapted to Linux.

The oasys was so expensive, not because of the hardware but because of the whole software development, and the low numbers they meant to sell to keep it exclusive.

Its just a matter of reconfiguring the PA3x software to Linux, which is not that hard...

#377504 - 12/08/13 12:19 PM Re: Korg rumours [Re: Bachus]
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Korg did not expect to sell low numbers of Oasys to keep it excusive, they sold low numbers because it cost nearly $8k and had limited capabilities.

Oasys was built on a PC platform but also contained proprietary hardware and software to limit the upgrades to Korg specific updates.

Oasys was a great concept that was poorly executed. Had Korg made it truly open and sought out well known VST'S to integrate with their control surface, I'd have kept my Oasys. Let's hope this possible new TOTL instrument doesn't come out of the gate castrated.

#377506 - 12/08/13 12:26 PM Re: Korg rumours [Re: Bachus]
billyhank Offline

I remember reading in an official Yamaha document some years back that the Tyros OS was Linux and it seems that I have seen that claim stated on the Korg forum for the Pa3x too.

It still depends on the manufacturer to open it up to other entities or the users in some form.

Bill G

#377521 - 12/08/13 01:44 PM Re: Korg rumours [Re: billyhank]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: billyhank
I remember reading in an official Yamaha document some years back that the Tyros OS was Linux and it seems that I have seen that claim stated on the Korg forum for the Pa3x too.

It still depends on the manufacturer to open it up to other entities or the users in some form.

Bill G

Probably true, as the Motif engine runs on a unix system too.... Pa3 x probably too, linux is not likely as linux is the unix version for typical pc hardware but yamaha and the pa3x dont use that....

But then Linux is nothing as another Unix version. And its everywhere, macbooks run on unix, as do android and ios... Both run on different linux versions for arm processors..

Keep in mind that those are not the same versions we use at home or in the office on our pcs, but hardware specific versions of these OSs, Unix is perfect for this as its highly modular and you can patch anything intoo the kernel what you want like drivers or real time processing support..

I dont think opening up the os to users is a good idea, as they will certainly get intoo stabillity issues and then blaim those on the manufactorer. Best they can do is open it up to 3rd party companies to convert their software to the new format..

Edited by Bachus (12/08/13 01:47 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online