SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#377471 - 12/08/13 09:58 AM Re: Is a Singer a Musician ? [Re: deb]
billyhank Offline

The human voice could be referred too as a stringed instrument and those things are called "VOCAL CHORDS" after all.

#377472 - 12/08/13 10:01 AM Re: Is a Singer a Musician ? [Re: deb]
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
In the early big band days, union sanctioned contracts read ’14 (or whatever number) musicians and a drummer’. That certainly would not be applicable today at least for big band and show band drummers – did you ever see a big band or show band drum chart?

The voice is recognized as a musical instrument that can be developed and improved, and that can and should be trained as much as any other musical instrument.

IMHO, Me-thinks that the person who posed the initial question is merely a provocateur and is really not seriously concerned about whether or not a vocalist is a musician.

Gary, I do Flip Flop and Fly just about every gig … I’ve been using a midi file for the past several years that is much hipper than any styles I have.

Ciao,
Jerry

#377478 - 12/08/13 10:34 AM Re: Is a Singer a Musician ? [Re: deb]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Oh I think Deb means well. Not that I necessarily like the subjects but we don't have to read them or comment unless we want to.

#377488 - 12/08/13 11:26 AM Re: Is a Singer a Musician ? [Re: deb]
rosetree
Unregistered

I think the question 'Is a singer a musician' is certainly provocative, but Deb seems to consider it as a serious question. If you changed the question into 'Is EVERY singer a musician?', then I would surely answer: NO - because IMO it depends on not only if he/she is able to hit the right tone pitch, but also if there is a minimum musicality in terms of having a feeling for harmonies and rhythm. The numerous song contest series on TV etc. have put singing so much in the focus that there are indeed a lot of singers who ONLY have a nicely sounding voice and hit the tone pitch, but have no idea of anything else (and I don't refer to theoretical knowledge, but FEELING for harmonies etc.).

To a certain degree I think I understand Deb's motivation although it's definitely "of-the-wall" to go so far. I often accompany a soloist on church weddings, I know that sometimes singing pop songs she isn't used to she would easily get lost and has to rely on me quickly adjusting to any accidental leaps she makes - but the audience exclusively congratulates her afterwards and treats, or rather ignores, me like an 'interchangeable accompanying attachment'.
But I don't see a real chance to change this attitude to focus so much on the singer, at least she knows she needs me for difficult songs so I benefit from it as she negotiates good fees.

Generally, IMO a singer who is musical in terms of harmony and rhythm is definitely a musician. It would make sense to put singers into the same category as players of SOLO instruments: a violonist or trumpetist is also more melody- than harmony-oriented and might have some deficits understanding harmonic contexts.

#377490 - 12/08/13 11:28 AM Re: Is a Singer a Musician ? [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I repeat:
Full Definition of INSTRUMENT
: a device used to produce music; also : a singing voice
a : a means whereby something is achieved, performed, or furthered

Furthermore, knowing Andrea as I do, I can say that he is truly a gentleman in every sense of the word ... someone/something must REALLY strike him hard for him to respond this way ...

#377498 - 12/08/13 11:42 AM Re: Is a Singer a Musician ? [Re: deb]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I can't believe intelligent musicians would consider DJ's musicians, they play music using a cd player and doesn't know a Q# from a Cb.
I have an uncle who can play Night In Tunisia on a comb and tissue paper is he a musician too. I can't believe these comments.
Vocalist and musicians are like Bricklayers and hod carriers. One does one thing the other does another. One hauls the brick and one lays the brick to accomplish producing a brick structure. A Vocalist sings and a Musician accompanies the Vocalist to accomplish structuring a song or music if you prefer.

Lets start an easier thread. This one is to complicated for the one finger players and the two and three chord players. and guys like Dave who can't carry a tune in a bucket. Boy this should get things heated up now.

Okay, here we go: Is it possible for a Vocalist and a Musician to be entertainers, humans and Bull s**t'ers too? Ha ha! You guys are a riot what a mixture eh?

Edited by brickboo (12/08/13 11:58 AM)

#377499 - 12/08/13 11:48 AM Re: Is a Singer a Musician ? [Re: brickboo]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: brickboo
I can't believe intelligent musicians would consider DJ's musicians, they play music using a cd player and don't know a Q# from a Cb.
I have an uncle who can play Night In Tunisia on a comb and tissue paper is he a musician too. I can't believe these comments.
Vocalist and musicians are like Bricklayers and hod carriers. One does one thing the other does another.

Lets start an easier thread. This one is to complicated for the one finger players and the two and three chord players.

Okay, here we go: Is it possible for Vocalist and or Musician to be entertainers, humans and B-S'rs too? Ha ha! You guys are a riot what a mixture eh?

Top deejays like van Buuren and Tiesto are actually musicians... As they actually make their own music with computers and keyboards.... Those deejays in todays dance sene are composers ... The time that they just used to change from cd to cd is long ago..

Tiesto has more synths in his studio then most of us have keys on their arrangers.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#377501 - 12/08/13 12:08 PM Re: Is a Singer a Musician ? [Re: deb]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Bachus, We have musicians that are bricklayers me, fisherman and Golfers DonM, carpenters Fran, DJs Donny so on and so forth. No problem understanding this eh? You're missing the point. I ask you point blank. Do you consider a person who spins records, CDs or whatever and does not know squat about music a musician friend? REALLY?

I'm gonna do something that makes since and watch football to get ready for the Saints and Panthers tonight.

#377516 - 12/08/13 01:22 PM Re: Is a Singer a Musician ? [Re: deb]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Talk about 'much ado about nothing'. I think this has more to do with the poster than the post (and I know a little something about that). Would this have generated the same amount of xa@#$%tr%$Z&* if, oh let's say Donny or Gary or even Boo, had asked the same question......which was "is a singer a musician?". The only possible answer is, some are, some aren't. Who really cares anyway?

chas

#377527 - 12/08/13 02:24 PM Re: Is a Singer a Musician ? [Re: deb]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Right on Chas!

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online