SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#377132 - 12/04/13 05:46 PM Another day at the office...
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I love my days at the office. Of course, they're a lot different than most people who work in the corporate world. No hustle and bustle, no water cooler gossip, my hours are a lot better, then pay is the same as it was 40 years ago, but I don't care. I've had a lot of requests by folks from this and other forums to post a video of how I set up my gear and what's involved in getting it from the van to the venue. So my daughter came with me today and used my $29 Alesis video camera so I could submit this for those who may wish to see an old codger at work.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#377133 - 12/04/13 06:27 PM Re: Another day at the office... [Re: travlin'easy]

Just thought I might add that all the audio comes from the tiny shotgun mics on the video recorder - no direct input available with this El-Cheapo camera. Also, when I fired up to do the song, I was in the wrong chord, a couple half-steps too high. I changed down a couple half-steps the first time I hit a break in the song.

As you can see I'm not the player most of the guys here are, but both me and my audiences always have a great time, and when I'm packing up my gear to leave they're always still singing the last song I performed.

The harmonies are done with the TC Helicon Harmony-M, the mic is the Crown CM-311A, and everything is coming from the mono output of the Yamaha S-950 and fired directly into the Bose L1 Compact. The camera is situated about 20 feet from where I'm at, so what you see is what you get.

I love my job,

Gary cool

#377134 - 12/04/13 06:53 PM Re: Another day at the office... [Re: travlin'easy]
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Thanks for sharing Gary ... I'm still trying to get-set up time down. I haven't been able to get a decent sound going direct to the Bose, still using a mixer.
Ciao,
Jerry

#377135 - 12/04/13 07:49 PM Re: Another day at the office... [Re: travlin'easy]

Jerry, Maybe we can get together sometime in the near future and I can listen to your setup first hand. Two heads are usually better than one in these kind of situations.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

#377143 - 12/04/13 09:57 PM Re: Another day at the office... [Re: travlin'easy]
Bachus Offline

Lovely video.. and its allways great to make people hapy, and thats what you do as a job.

just curious, what are you using your laptop for?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#377145 - 12/04/13 10:02 PM Re: Another day at the office... [Re: Bachus]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By: Bachus
Lovely video.. and its allways great to make people hapy, and thats what you do as a job.

just curious, what are you using your laptop for?

To hold up his stomach, same as I do. smile

#377147 - 12/04/13 10:30 PM Re: Another day at the office... [Re: travlin'easy]
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Nice job Gary. I had a similar day at the office today.

Joe keys singer

#377149 - 12/04/13 10:55 PM Re: Another day at the office... [Re: travlin'easy]
DonM Offline

Great organization, Gary! Started in the wrong key didn't you? smile Good recovery!
I would show a video of my setting up but I don't have a daughter. Just three sons and three grandsons who aren't much interested in old people music!
I basically have two setups. The full one is what I generally use. It consists of keyboard, stand, rolling drafting stool, two Bose Compacts and a case that holds laptop, recorder, mixer, pedals, mic and cord and power supply for everything.
It takes less than 10 minutes from truck to playing.
The other I sometimes use for quick jobs, where I don't mind standing. It consists of Korg PA3X, keyboard stand and either 2 Compacts or HK Nano. Power supply, mic and three cables or in a small bag. Both keyboard stands have built in mic boom. Time for setup on this one is maybe five minutes.
I seldom use the R n Roller anymore as I can make three trips max and carry everything easily. Most places I work are only a few steps from truck to bandstand.
Seems like not too long ago I had trouble getting all the gear in a full-sized Chevy van. I can get in on my golf cart now!
In fact I did one time, but that's another story.
I almost always use only one extension on each Compact. I can hear it better because it's at ear level when I'm seated. In really large venue I use two on each side so I can crank it up and project better.
DonM

#377150 - 12/04/13 11:05 PM Re: Another day at the office... [Re: travlin'easy]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
It's times like these I'm glad I'm taking some time off...

http://www.capebretonpost.com/News/Local/2013-12-04/article-3530830/High-winds%2C-rain-and-snow-batter-Cape-Breton/1

The Canso Causeway links Cape Breton to mainland Nova Scotia.

Video of above: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r5vyDoprUQ

Great setup, Gary...Very slick indeed. I never ever needed a cart for my stuff, but I'm considering it for next year.

I still don't need a van...the old Accord will still do the job.

Ian

#377153 - 12/04/13 11:27 PM Re: Another day at the office... [Re: ianmcnll]
nbnserge Offline

great video Gary
I never get a cart beacause no more place in my car ! too much stuff
I will share your video on my website.
thanks

#377170 - 12/05/13 07:16 AM Re: Another day at the office... [Re: travlin'easy]

Thanks guys. I wish my daughter would have had more time to shoot some of the performance, but she had to pick up her son from school. Maybe next time. And, like many of the members here, I used to use a full size van and spend 30 to 40 minutes pulling gear from the van and setting up. Viva la difference.

That tiny 9-inch laptop is a great tool for me. For some strange reason, I cannot remember all the words to all the songs I performed during my lifetime. There are times when someone asks for a song, one that I frequently perform, and that first line of the song just goes blank in my mind. The laptop contains the lyrics for about 3,800 songs, all in a single folder. Makes life a lot easier. The laptop is also used as an MP3 player for breaks, when I take them, which is almost never, and MIDI files when I use them, which again, is nearly never. The laptop weighs just over 1-pound and is Velcro'd to the top of the console.

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (12/05/13 07:39 AM)

#377172 - 12/05/13 07:44 AM Re: Another day at the office... [Re: ianmcnll]
124 Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
It's times like these I'm glad I'm taking some time off...

http://www.capebretonpost.com/News/Local/2013-12-04/article-3530830/High-winds%2C-rain-and-snow-batter-Cape-Breton/1

The Canso Causeway links Cape Breton to mainland Nova Scotia.

Video of above: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r5vyDoprUQ

Great setup, Gary...Very slick indeed. I never ever needed a cart for my stuff, but I'm considering it for next year.

I still don't need a van...the old Accord will still do the job.

Ian

Saw that on the CBC last night, Ian. Glad the guy wasn't hurt. Been across the causeway a few times, our daughter-in-law always says she knows she's home once she's across there.

Gary, that's a very neat gizmo on the front there. I hide my rat's nest of cables behind a vinyl sign that covers the whole length of my Pa1Xpro from keyboard level to floor. Had it made by a commercial signage shop for about $250 a couple of years ago. It looks like an outsize business card.

#377180 - 12/05/13 12:00 PM Re: Another day at the office... [Re: travlin'easy]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Thanks guys. I wish my daughter would have had more time to shoot some of the performance, but she had to pick up her son from school. Maybe next time. And, like many of the members here, I used to use a full size van and spend 30 to 40 minutes pulling gear from the van and setting up. Viva la difference.

That tiny 9-inch laptop is a great tool for me. For some strange reason, I cannot remember all the words to all the songs I performed during my lifetime. There are times when someone asks for a song, one that I frequently perform, and that first line of the song just goes blank in my mind. The laptop contains the lyrics for about 3,800 songs, all in a single folder. Makes life a lot easier. The laptop is also used as an MP3 player for breaks, when I take them, which is almost never, and MIDI files when I use them, which again, is nearly never. The laptop weighs just over 1-pound and is Velcro'd to the top of the console.

Gary cool

Thats what i expected.. i always use cheet sheets myself.. and laptops/tablets are just perfect for that (using my windows tablet for such things that also contains my backup VST collection... and which has a touchscreen that comes in very handy for other things too)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#377188 - 12/05/13 01:53 PM Re: Another day at the office... [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

clap clap clap

WTG!!! Gary you are DA MAN!!!!

My setup is a bit faster with less gear for NH 1hr gigs, and I do it many times 2x a day.. surprised....but for most of the bigger venues its a full loaded cart with much more stuff.....
but always in one trip thanx to the Rocknroller which I love.
Nice video also......thanx for sharing. keys

#377200 - 12/05/13 09:16 PM Re: Another day at the office... [Re: travlin'easy]
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
Wow, you guys are working too hard. How about this for quiet dinner gigs? One trip---the S950 in one hand (soft-shell bag) and a folding keyboard stand and folded bar stool in the other hand. That’s it. Works great. Set-up and pack-up time---one to three minutes at most. I spend more time finding a place to park the car.

#377207 - 12/05/13 10:14 PM Re: Another day at the office... [Re: travlin'easy]
DonM Offline

I did that a few years ago with a PSRS900, in a Sunday Brunch setting. I still used my rolling stool, placed the keyboard and ultra-light stand on it, and rolled it in. One AC cord, plug in the mic and go!
I had tried using a Bose Compact, but they said it carried too far. I tried using Logitech Z2200s, but bass was too loud at the level I had to play. I unplugged everything, and they loved it, so that's what I used from then on. I stayed there for several months, every Sunday. Sometimes I wish I hadn't quit; it was the easiest job I ever had!
The S950 is even louder and could carry a slightly larger job.
I used it in a house party/reception one time and it worked great. Years before that, I used an arranger that ran on batteries at a wedding, where snow had knocked out the electricity. I don't remember which brand it was. It was in the infancy of arrangers!
Very few occasions I play that don't need more coverage though.
DonM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online