SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#377132 - 12/04/13 05:46 PM Another day at the office...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I love my days at the office. Of course, they're a lot different than most people who work in the corporate world. No hustle and bustle, no water cooler gossip, my hours are a lot better, then pay is the same as it was 40 years ago, but I don't care. I've had a lot of requests by folks from this and other forums to post a video of how I set up my gear and what's involved in getting it from the van to the venue. So my daughter came with me today and used my $29 Alesis video camera so I could submit this for those who may wish to see an old codger at work.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#377133 - 12/04/13 06:27 PM Re: Another day at the office... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Just thought I might add that all the audio comes from the tiny shotgun mics on the video recorder - no direct input available with this El-Cheapo camera. Also, when I fired up to do the song, I was in the wrong chord, a couple half-steps too high. I changed down a couple half-steps the first time I hit a break in the song.

As you can see I'm not the player most of the guys here are, but both me and my audiences always have a great time, and when I'm packing up my gear to leave they're always still singing the last song I performed.

The harmonies are done with the TC Helicon Harmony-M, the mic is the Crown CM-311A, and everything is coming from the mono output of the Yamaha S-950 and fired directly into the Bose L1 Compact. The camera is situated about 20 feet from where I'm at, so what you see is what you get.

I love my job,

Gary cool

#377134 - 12/04/13 06:53 PM Re: Another day at the office... [Re: travlin'easy]
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Thanks for sharing Gary ... I'm still trying to get-set up time down. I haven't been able to get a decent sound going direct to the Bose, still using a mixer.
Ciao,
Jerry

#377135 - 12/04/13 07:49 PM Re: Another day at the office... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Jerry, Maybe we can get together sometime in the near future and I can listen to your setup first hand. Two heads are usually better than one in these kind of situations.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

#377143 - 12/04/13 09:57 PM Re: Another day at the office... [Re: travlin'easy]
Bachus Offline

Lovely video.. and its allways great to make people hapy, and thats what you do as a job.

just curious, what are you using your laptop for?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#377145 - 12/04/13 10:02 PM Re: Another day at the office... [Re: Bachus]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By: Bachus
Lovely video.. and its allways great to make people hapy, and thats what you do as a job.

just curious, what are you using your laptop for?

To hold up his stomach, same as I do. smile

#377147 - 12/04/13 10:30 PM Re: Another day at the office... [Re: travlin'easy]
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Nice job Gary. I had a similar day at the office today.

Joe keys singer

#377149 - 12/04/13 10:55 PM Re: Another day at the office... [Re: travlin'easy]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Great organization, Gary! Started in the wrong key didn't you? smile Good recovery!
I would show a video of my setting up but I don't have a daughter. Just three sons and three grandsons who aren't much interested in old people music!
I basically have two setups. The full one is what I generally use. It consists of keyboard, stand, rolling drafting stool, two Bose Compacts and a case that holds laptop, recorder, mixer, pedals, mic and cord and power supply for everything.
It takes less than 10 minutes from truck to playing.
The other I sometimes use for quick jobs, where I don't mind standing. It consists of Korg PA3X, keyboard stand and either 2 Compacts or HK Nano. Power supply, mic and three cables or in a small bag. Both keyboard stands have built in mic boom. Time for setup on this one is maybe five minutes.
I seldom use the R n Roller anymore as I can make three trips max and carry everything easily. Most places I work are only a few steps from truck to bandstand.
Seems like not too long ago I had trouble getting all the gear in a full-sized Chevy van. I can get in on my golf cart now!
In fact I did one time, but that's another story.
I almost always use only one extension on each Compact. I can hear it better because it's at ear level when I'm seated. In really large venue I use two on each side so I can crank it up and project better.
DonM

#377150 - 12/04/13 11:05 PM Re: Another day at the office... [Re: travlin'easy]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
It's times like these I'm glad I'm taking some time off...

http://www.capebretonpost.com/News/Local/2013-12-04/article-3530830/High-winds%2C-rain-and-snow-batter-Cape-Breton/1

The Canso Causeway links Cape Breton to mainland Nova Scotia.

Video of above: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r5vyDoprUQ

Great setup, Gary...Very slick indeed. I never ever needed a cart for my stuff, but I'm considering it for next year.

I still don't need a van...the old Accord will still do the job.

Ian

#377153 - 12/04/13 11:27 PM Re: Another day at the office... [Re: ianmcnll]
nbnserge Offline

great video Gary
I never get a cart beacause no more place in my car ! too much stuff
I will share your video on my website.
thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online