SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#376529 - 11/27/13 10:07 AM Another short Tyros5 review
Tostie Offline

During my lunch break this afternoon I noticed that the local music store was setting-up the new Tyros5. So I went inside for a short test drive of approximately 40 min. These are my findings:

The first thing I noticed was the fact that they (finally) removed a lot of the reverb on both individual sounds and styles. The Tyros5 doesn’t sound so ‘wet’ anymore like the Tyros1/2/3/4. A lot of the styles are remixed and utilize new sounds. The interface looks a little cleaner, but the layout is practically the same as on the Tyros4.

The acoustic piano section is mostly the same. The pop and concert piano sounded the same as on the Tyros4, although the dynamic range seems to be improved (more samples/note). I liked the new upright piano. In the EP section I spotted some new sounds, but even more noticeably was the difference in sound thanks to the new VCM effects. They sound more ‘vintage’ and ‘raw’ compared to the somewhat artificial EP sounds on the Tyros4.

I saw more changes in the (acoustic/electric) guitar section: a lot of new sounds and samples. It all sounded a lot drier, but thus more realistic. The electric guitars combined with new effects are a killer combo.

Finally I want to specifically mention the new classical organs. For me these are a superior unique selling point. I think it’s safe to say that the new classical organs in the Tyros5 are by far the best you can buy in an Arranger Keyboard or Synth. For those that are familiar with ‘Hauptwerk’ (VST Instrument), Tyros5 is coming close in terms of quality. The matching styles in the Movie&Show category are also great.

Furthermore, there are new sounds in all categories; too many to review them all separately. Noteworthy are the new classical- and jazz flute. A big improvement compared to the Tyros4. I have gone trough many sounds in a short amount of time, so I might have missed some other ‘striking’ new sounds.

One of the main innovations on the Tyros5 is the new Ensemble voice function. In short: all the Ensemble combinations sound amazing realistic. It just requires a slightly different way of playing. You constantly have to keep in mind what the limitation would be for a real string or blazer and translate this to your playing in order to sound as realistic as possible. It is a bit like playing with solo SuperArticulation instruments, but with less remedial support from the Tyros when playing ‘unnatural’.

Yamaha has solved the everlasting complaints about poor drums with the introduction of ‘Audiodrums’. It sounds fantastic, but I do not like the idea that styles that use Audiodrums are not backwards compatible. From a consumer perspective this is undesirable. My particular favorites were the new Queen, Coldplay en Adele styles. In those styles the Audiodrums come really alive.

After this story you might think ‘he already ordered one’, but no. The reason is quite simple: I was critical on the added value versus the additional costs that an upgrade to Tyros5 entails, and I still am. The worldwide retail price of the Tyros5 is much higher than the retail price of the Tyros4 when it was released. I have my doubts whether the T5 does offer that much more than the T4 as the T4 did compared to the T3. But I guess that’s something you have to answer for yourself.

So far for my short ‘review’

Best Regards,

Joost

#376530 - 11/27/13 10:17 AM Re: Another short Tyros5 review [Re: Tostie]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Tostie
During my lunch break this afternoon I noticed that the local music store was setting-up the new Tyros5. So I went inside for a short test drive of approximately 40 min. These are my findings:

The first thing I noticed was the fact that they (finally) removed a lot of the reverb on both individual sounds and styles. The Tyros5 doesn’t sound so ‘wet’ anymore like the Tyros1/2/3/4. A lot of the styles are remixed and utilize new sounds. The interface looks a little cleaner, but the layout is practically the same as on the Tyros4.

The acoustic piano section is mostly the same. The pop and concert piano sounded the same as on the Tyros4, although the dynamic range seems to be improved (more samples/note). I liked the new upright piano. In the EP section I spotted some new sounds, but even more noticeably was the difference in sound thanks to the new VCM effects. They sound more ‘vintage’ and ‘raw’ compared to the somewhat artificial EP sounds on the Tyros4.

I saw more changes in the (acoustic/electric) guitar section: a lot of new sounds and samples. It all sounded a lot drier, but thus more realistic. The electric guitars combined with new effects are a killer combo.

Finally I want to specifically mention the new classical organs. For me these are a superior unique selling point. I think it’s safe to say that the new classical organs in the Tyros5 are by far the best you can buy in an Arranger Keyboard or Synth. For those that are familiar with ‘Hauptwerk’ (VST Instrument), Tyros5 is coming close in terms of quality. The matching styles in the Movie&Show category are also great.

Furthermore, there are new sounds in all categories; too many to review them all separately. Noteworthy are the new classical- and jazz flute. A big improvement compared to the Tyros4. I have gone trough many sounds in a short amount of time, so I might have missed some other ‘striking’ new sounds.

One of the main innovations on the Tyros5 is the new Ensemble voice function. In short: all the Ensemble combinations sound amazing realistic. It just requires a slightly different way of playing. You constantly have to keep in mind what the limitation would be for a real string or blazer and translate this to your playing in order to sound as realistic as possible. It is a bit like playing with solo SuperArticulation instruments, but with less remedial support from the Tyros when playing ‘unnatural’.

Yamaha has solved the everlasting complaints about poor drums with the introduction of ‘Audiodrums’. It sounds fantastic, but I do not like the idea that styles that use Audiodrums are not backwards compatible. From a consumer perspective this is undesirable. My particular favorites were the new Queen, Coldplay en Adele styles. In those styles the Audiodrums come really alive.

After this story you might think ‘he already ordered one’, but no. The reason is quite simple: I was critical on the added value versus the additional costs that an upgrade to Tyros5 entails, and I still am. The worldwide retail price of the Tyros5 is much higher than the retail price of the Tyros4 when it was released. I have my doubts whether the T5 does offer that much more than the T4 as the T4 did compared to the T3. But I guess that’s something you have to answer for yourself.

Best Regards,

Joost

Thanx Joost .....Finally an informative Unbiased, "HONEST" review of T5 from a super pro player who knows what hes talking about.... cool2

Ciao

Edited by Dnj (11/27/13 10:18 AM)

#376531 - 11/27/13 10:46 AM Re: Another short Tyros5 review [Re: Tostie]
DannyUK Offline

Originally Posted By: Tostie

Best Regards,

Joost

This is probably the best review I've read of the T5 anywhere on the planet, unbiased, factual, truthful and balanced review of a product that I fully *expected* to feature some forms of an improvement and with additional features although perhaps not as overwhelmingly 'out of this world' as so many other posts have suggested (although admittedly I have read the biased comments elsewhere to be fair). I always enjoy and take people's opinions here far more seriously because even though it can be critical you know it will be also fairly accurate and close to the truth.

The reviews that I respect and take full note of are reviews that make fair comparisons and to describe why something is better but also keeping a realistic view that the instrument you're judging it against is still a fantastic product that doesn't become poor just because someone had upgraded.

I read one comment from another forum that made me chuckle so much that I had to turn away, in comparing to the T4, the comment went something like "The sound from Tyros 5 is now brilliant" as if to imply that the previous keyboards can all be disregarded as they sounded bad all of a sudden!

Thanks again for the mini review smile

Edited by DannyUK (11/27/13 10:55 AM)

#376538 - 11/27/13 01:49 PM Re: Another short Tyros5 review [Re: DannyUK]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
I think your review is a good one except your first comment about the concert Piano there is a noticeable
Difference. I am surprised to hear that you could not tell the difference . I noticed right away They are not even close.
T5 much better. We all have our own opinions .

Edited by musicforyourday (11/27/13 01:51 PM)

#376549 - 11/27/13 03:49 PM Re: Another short Tyros5 review [Re: musicforyourday]
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I've just got back from a T5 demo given by Richard Bower of Yamaha UK.

As a 3k owner I can'y really tell you how good the T5 is compared to the T4, but I can tell you that all the voices mentioned by Joost were demo''d and sounded excellent. I was very impressed with the amplifier modelling on the guitars, and by the organ world section. The concert pipe organ sounded fabulous.

A large number of the styles used had familiar names but have clearly been edited to make full use of the newer voices in the T5. I appreciate that this was to be expected but it has been done to a consistently high standard to my ears.

The concert piano was given some serious solo playing and sounded as good as any digital piano I've heard. It was described as "a significant improvement over the T4".

The entire demo was played through the trs-ms05 speaker system alone, and it was plenty loud enough for the room with 40 ish people even with the concert organ being given plenty of stick.

As an experiment I played back om of my favourite PSR3000 sequences and that came over pretty well. Richard suggested that it would benefit from using one of the newer drum voices and indeed it sounded even better after this edit.

Richard was demonstrating the 76 key version and commented that the extra notes can really help when using the right3 split to give an easily accessible different voicing with sufficient range to be useful without compromising the amount of keyboard used for the mainstrean performance. As a pianist I like the 76 notes anyhow.

If I was getting a T5 I'd be getting the 76 key version, and I'd get the new speakers system as well!

#376550 - 11/27/13 03:53 PM Re: Another short Tyros5 review [Re: Tostie]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Great review !

I'm with Ron, I thought there was a very noticeable difference in the concert Piano too, but as Ron mentioned we all have our own opinions

#376553 - 11/27/13 04:09 PM Re: Another short Tyros5 review [Re: Tostie]
124 Offline

Has anyone tried and given any opinion on the harmoniser in the T5?

#376557 - 11/27/13 06:11 PM Re: Another short Tyros5 review [Re: 124]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
Sorry I did not go thru it I ran out of time that day I hope it is Improved over T4 I think the reverb will be for sure.

#376561 - 11/27/13 07:26 PM Re: Another short Tyros5 review [Re: musicforyourday]
Kytrinh Offline

Loc: Australia
Again.. Just got back from a live T5 demo here in Australia's Capital. I won't elaborate on what has already covered but being the newest and latest there is no argument that it is better than the T4 if one was to break it down in detail and subtle nuances. However, the feeling was nothing like what I've heard from the T4 demo a few years back,, that left a big I WANT and indeed it was to "play your dream". With a $4500AU T4 change over price tag...
What do you think??

#376566 - 11/27/13 08:40 PM Re: Another short Tyros5 review [Re: Kytrinh]
Dnj Offline

Whats funny if we reread this thread 2 years from now when Tyros 6 comes out it will read the same only T5 vs T6 is much better.... rolleyes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online