Page 6 of 20 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 19 20 >
Topic Options
#376171 - 11/23/13 02:48 PM Re: The open arrangers [Re: Bachus]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: Bachus
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Originally Posted By: Fran Carango

The best use of a Tyros4 I have seen to date..

Please show me what T5 can do better?

Why do you bring up a non open arranger in this topic, arent there currently enough other tyros topics?

Sorry, I posted on the wrong topic.. blush

#376172 - 11/23/13 02:55 PM Re: The open arrangers [Re: Bachus]
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Bachus,

Almost all of the Wersi demo links I posted utilized OOTB sounds in OAS 7. Only some multipad samples, drum sounds, and a few samples played by Robert Bartha seemed to be custom. He's playing a Sonic so it is possible all of the sounds he used are native to the new Sonic. I can identify almost every sound though as stock. I'm sure Bill will concur.

OOTB the Wersi is no slouch. My Abacus Duo Pro has around 1GB of factory sounds. The Sonic will have many more sounds but I'm not sure exactly how many. I'm guessing several Gigabytes or more. Not MB folks, Gigabytes.

My biggest complaints with the Wersi factory sounds are the drums, percussion, and synth sounds. "RealDrum" Audio files are excellent but the stock drum sounds range from ok to good to very good. No worse than what Yamaha offers in their TOTL products. I simply load drum and percussion samples from my Akai library which are fantastic.

The stock synthesizer sounds are excellent but limited in quantity. If you buy the synthesizer package which is around $100 USD, then you'll be set as it not only gives you hundreds of additional sounds, it adds extensive editing and synthesis features to OAS. You'll get expanded FM, Wavetable, Analog Modeling, Sampling, and more. Essentially the synth engines that were native to Sonic Core/Creamware. Give the Sonic Core Minimax, Pro Wave, Profit 5, Vectron and others a listen to understand just how good the synth sounds the Wersi offers are.

#376173 - 11/23/13 03:00 PM Re: The open arrangers [Re: Ensnareyou]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA

Here is a demo of the open arranger MedaStation x-76.

#376174 - 11/23/13 03:06 PM Re: The open arrangers [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango

Here is a demo of the open arranger MedaStation x-76.

James GREAT Job as always!!.. clap clap clap

#376177 - 11/23/13 03:37 PM Re: The open arrangers [Re: Bachus]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By: Ensnareyou
Don,

The Wersi is already setup OOTB to do what any other arranger can do and more. Their control surface is excellent and the use of the touch screen, knobs, buttons, and sliders makes it very easy to operate. It's what sets Wersi apart from every other manufacturer that has tried to bring a PC based system to the masses. Only Korg came close with the Oasys but Korg castrated the Oasys by not making it open to third party software. Had Korg made the Oasys truly open as originally touted, I'd have kept mine.

The Wersi Sonic is a huge leap forward with OAS. The sheer CPU power under the hood compared to any other keyboard or arranger is staggering. If Music Store updates the sound library with more sounds and integrates additional VST's as stock, it will be a monster synthesizer/arranger/workstation. I can't wait to see the final specs and hear the finished product.

i heared an abacus today with oas 7.46 which according to the website of wersi is the latest oas.

Are you telling me that the oas of the sonic is a totally new version not available for other oas instruments?

HI Bachus

The only commonality between the Pegasus Wing OS and OAS7 OS is they can play the same styles, everything else is totally different, that is why options and sound packs for OAS 7 cannot be used directly in the Pegasus Wing (And vice versa) without re-coding to suit the Pegasus Wing OS.

The Sonic again uses a totally new version of OAS which has no connection with OAS7 or the Pegasus Wing OS, apart from being able to play the same styles. (Not sure about Yamaha compatibility though)

The main hardware (Not the computer hardware which is standard PC) of Pegasus Wing, OAS7 and Sonic are also completely different.

Pegasus Wing is an OOTB instrument, and the Sonic in standard mode should be, however OAS7 is not an OOTB experience (Although this is improving with each new update) it just gives you basic setups which you customise yourself. (Exceptions are the option sound and style packs which are set up for OOTB) It’s also the reason that Wersi Direct ships its Songbook software (OTS Song settings) with all new OAS7 instruments so that it can be used OOTB by less experienced users.

Hope this clarifies things

Bill

#376178 - 11/23/13 03:47 PM Re: The open arrangers [Re: Bachus]
Ensnareyou Offline

Dom had a great concept that sadly he decided to pull the plug on. Where the Mediastation failed was the lack of factory sounds and that the user interface was nowhere near as intuitive as the Wersi or Korg Oasys. I tried to convince Dom to work with a third party VST company to offer an OOTB experience that would have been fantastic. I don't think he wanted to incur the licensing fees to do so. By the time he realized better OOTB sounds and styles were needed, the Mediastation had already been slagged by people who never laid hands on one. That hindered the Mediastations sales and ultimately forced Dom's decision to pull the plug on keyboard manufacturing.

Sonically the Mediastation had more dynamic range than my Oasys and Wersi and that's impressive. It really did sound great playing back Giga files. Fran can attest to this.

I had no problems running the Mediastation but an old codger not familiar with VST's or computer software integration would. Still the interface and software updates needed to make it more intuitive never happened.

Dom is a very smart businessman and if my hunch is correct, he sold the Mediastation concept or licensed it to one of the big three to expand further upon and market. Don't be surprised if you see a similar concept marketed by Roland or Yamaha in the near future that's just the Mediastation enhanced and repackaged. I don't think Korg would have purchased it because they already had the Oasys platform to build upon. The Kronos was born from the Oasys.

Time will tell if the Mediastation sees new life from other companies. Dom certainly couldn't say due to non disclosure agreements. Yamaha has benefitted greatly from visionaries in the past, John Chowning and Dave Smith to name but a few. Nearly every Yamaha product after 1983 utilized technology from these two men.

#376198 - 11/23/13 05:05 PM Re: The open arrangers [Re: Bachus]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I said my piece about soft arrangers a long time ago, and nothing in the intervening years has changed my opinion.

We ALL play arrangers for one primary reason... convenience.

You can do the same thing or better with many different things, WS's, computers, keyboards and modules, etc.. But nothing comes even CLOSE to the instant gratification and ease of use of the modern hardware arranger. The soundsets are balanced, the styles are balanced, the effects are balanced, and it's all wrapped up in a shell that is easy to use and affordable.

Nothing could be further from this than the all software arranger. Yes, if you have the technical and musical skills, you CAN probably end up with something noticeably better sounding than a hardware arranger. But it's going to cost you a FORTUNE, and take up your every waking moment for months, probably years! It's going to involve multiple computers (it has already been alluded to that many of the best sounding soft synths and libraries have CPU requirements that can choke even the best modern CPU's) and a very technical command of programming.

Now, let's be REALISTIC... How many of us have the entire skill-set to pull all of this off? I would hesitate to say ANY of us, from what I have heard, so far. Sure, you get one of Wersi's top demonstrators, probably with considerable technical help from the factory, and he can pull of a demonstration of what you COULD do with one of these wünderkind behemoths with price tags that make the T5 sound like a cheap PSR!

Now, back to reality... How many of US could do that? Sure haven't heard a single USER demo of a Wersi sound remotely as impressive. In fact, most are quite excremental, poorly played and balanced, and certainly not a good representation of what you COULD do if you had $20,000 to drop. Or actually, maybe it IS... Let's face it, if buying a Wersi made you sound that good, the web and this forum would be bursting with demos that put our Roland's and Korg's and Yamaha's to shame.

But it isn't. They don't.

QED.

#376226 - 11/23/13 10:16 PM Re: The open arrangers [Re: Bachus]
Ensnareyou Offline

Diki,

You clearly haven't played an OAS7 instrument otherwise you wouldn't have concluded what you have. What separates Wersi from a computer based system running softsynths is the way in which the interface acts like any other arranger or workstation. Yes you can delve deep loading in VST's and third party programs if you want to, but that isn't necessary. Out of the box OAS acts like any other arranger. Wersi spent years working on integrating the control surface, real time controls, and touch screen so that anyone can operate their products. After all, their target audience are the elderly who have lots of expendable cash but aren't technically savvy. If the Wersi were difficult to use, it would be a tough sell at $2k let alone $50k. There doesn't seem to be any shortage of users except here in the USA.

Unlike companies such as Neko, Music Computing, Lionstracs, and others who basically threw a PC into a keyboard case, loaded a few VST's, then marketed the product as an OOTB experience but are so convoluted you'd need an engineering degree to decipher them, Wersi actually thought this through. They've spent years doing research, updating software, and getting real world feedback from users which shows in the end product.

While having a PC running various VST's can sonically outperform any hardware arranger or workstation, they aren't intuitive, take up huge amounts of RAM and CPU power, and will cause the average user to pull their hair out trying to integrate it all. What Wersi has done is provided a happy medium between hardware arranger and full blown PC based arranger/workstation. The Sonic takes OAS to a new level but still keeps certain things reigned in so as to be easy to use. Sonic's Expert mode will allow users to utilize it as if it were a straight computer based PC system but I wouldn't recommend anyone do that unless they're highly skilled with PC's, software integration, and external hardware. As you've ascertained, few people have that capability but it does exist inside the Wersi if they feel so inclined to go that route.

I definitely agree most demos by users are often poorly played, poorly recorded and mixed, and rarely show the true power of the instrument be it hardware based or open architecture. The majority of people who buy TOTL arrangers aren't professionals, they're home hobbyists. I do wish Wersi would make professional quality demos but for some reason they don't seem to care what users across the pond think. I guess the sales here are so low as to be inconsequential to them.

#376227 - 11/23/13 10:37 PM Re: The open arrangers [Re: Bachus]
Ensnareyou Offline

Any instrument be it a guitar, keyboard, violin, or drums are merely a catalyst for the player. I could own a Stradivarius, 55 Stratocaster, 1900's Steinway Grand, and all would be pointless in an attempt to make me sound better if I lacked the skills to play them. Truth be told few people have talent that sets them apart from the masses although our ego's would like us to believe otherwise. Those that do can play a cardboard box and their talent will still shine through. For most others we've been lead to believe that XYZ instrument will be the panacea and make us play as if it were a gift from a higher power. Then reality sets in.

#376230 - 11/23/13 11:53 PM Re: The open arrangers [Re: abacus]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: abacus
Originally Posted By: Ensnareyou
Don,

The Wersi is already setup OOTB to do what any other arranger can do and more. Their control surface is excellent and the use of the touch screen, knobs, buttons, and sliders makes it very easy to operate. It's what sets Wersi apart from every other manufacturer that has tried to bring a PC based system to the masses. Only Korg came close with the Oasys but Korg castrated the Oasys by not making it open to third party software. Had Korg made the Oasys truly open as originally touted, I'd have kept mine.

The Wersi Sonic is a huge leap forward with OAS. The sheer CPU power under the hood compared to any other keyboard or arranger is staggering. If Music Store updates the sound library with more sounds and integrates additional VST's as stock, it will be a monster synthesizer/arranger/workstation. I can't wait to see the final specs and hear the finished product.

i heared an abacus today with oas 7.46 which according to the website of wersi is the latest oas.

Are you telling me that the oas of the sonic is a totally new version not available for other oas instruments?

HI Bachus

The only commonality between the Pegasus Wing OS and OAS7 OS is they can play the same styles, everything else is totally different, that is why options and sound packs for OAS 7 cannot be used directly in the Pegasus Wing (And vice versa) without re-coding to suit the Pegasus Wing OS.

The Sonic again uses a totally new version of OAS which has no connection with OAS7 or the Pegasus Wing OS, apart from being able to play the same styles. (Not sure about Yamaha compatibility though)

The main hardware (Not the computer hardware which is standard PC) of Pegasus Wing, OAS7 and Sonic are also completely different.

Pegasus Wing is an OOTB instrument, and the Sonic in standard mode should be, however OAS7 is not an OOTB experience (Although this is improving with each new update) it just gives you basic setups which you customise yourself. (Exceptions are the option sound and style packs which are set up for OOTB) It’s also the reason that Wersi Direct ships its Songbook software (OTS Song settings) with all new OAS7 instruments so that it can be used OOTB by less experienced users.

Hope this clarifies things

Bill

Okay, i tought the Sonic would be OAS7 compatible... but its got its totally own improved version.

So they took a step away from their main development goal of one OAS allways upgradable for all their instruments.

I was allready happy with what i saw from OAS7.46.. any improvement to that would be a huge step for Wersi.

http://keyszone.boards.net

Page 6 of 20 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 19 20 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online